PDA

View Full Version : stalking hogs?

lrhog
03-02-2009, 06:06 AM
Anyone have sonme do's and don'ts of stalking hogs? Have never done it, but would like to give it a try. Any advice from anyone?

CODY
03-02-2009, 07:26 AM
I've had better luck stalking hogs than deer. DO- go slow with the wind in your face or at least a crross wind, while stalking hogs I have heard them many times before I saw them, so if your going at a snails pace and stopping from time to time you'll likely hear them first. Don't- if you are not close enough for a shot don't rush it, if you got them within sight you should be able to close the distance with a bow ( if your patient ) or take a good shot with a rifle

aggiebowhunter
03-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Ive had my best luck stalking on very windy days. Even better are very windy wet days. Move extremely slowly. Use large trees to your advantage by walking towards them then looking around them. Barefoot or with socks on make you alot more quiet. Take you time. I learned that stalking mule deer in Colorado. Youve got nothign better to do take your time and make it work.
rjd

DirtyMike
03-02-2009, 09:39 AM
I agree wind right direction, and slow. About the socks or barefoot. Um not many places you can do that in TX, atleast the places I have hunted. TX has too many ouch plants. Cacti, stickers, BULL NETTLE,

lrhog
03-02-2009, 10:56 AM
I appreciate all the replys, thanks for the info. I'd like to add another question to basically the same post: What about stalking in a place you've never been to? I'm headed to the Palo Duro Canyon area, near Amarillo,at the end of the month. I've hunted hogs a couple of times before, but have been in a blind. I was thinking this time of trying to stalk. Any advice for stalking hogs in a new area? The place we are headed to is huntedsome, but not heavily. Thanks again......

aggiebowhunter
03-03-2009, 01:19 AM
DirtyMike (http://www.texashoghunter.com/profile.php?user=DirtyMike) wrote...

I agree wind right direction, and slow. About the socks or barefoot. Um not many places you can do that in TX, atleast the places I have hunted. TX has too many ouch plants. Cacti, stickers, BULL NETTLE,

I disagree.

I did it all over west Texas growing up. Ive done it on the rocks out in Sanderson, Cotulla in the brush country and eastx where I live. Youve just got to be tough and watch your step placement.

DirtyMike
03-05-2009, 03:52 AM
I would love to see you walk around at night barefooted where I hunt.http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/naughty.gifYou would not make it50 yards I dont care how tuff you think you are. I got money to back it. Bull nettle will make you swell up so bad it looks like someone took a hammer to your feet. I just brushed across it while wearing crocs and my ankles were toast. Will leave blisters, turn purple, and feel like you are standing on a million wasp stingers. I used to run around bare foot. Rocks are not reallya problem. The stickers are and the bull nettle is the main problem. You have to have nerve damage to walk across bull nettle and not react. When we drive out there our tires are covered with stickers. I once seen big foot out there. He let me walk right up to him. I said Big foot wow is that really you. He said well hell yea, now give me your damm shoes I will make them fit.http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

txbhunter1
03-05-2009, 09:26 AM
That's a good one. Big Foot Huh? Did you give him your shoes? LOL

aggiebowhunter
03-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Bull nettle is not worth a damn. Its alot like a jellyfish getting you. I grew up on a cotton farm and Im real familiar with the creature.

The thing about stalking while removing your shoes is knowing when to do it. When your closing that last little distance and you need all the quietness you can get. It works.