PDA

View Full Version : An Idea

Jason
03-03-2009, 06:48 AM
Im laying here trying to sleep and an idea popped into my head of something that would be really cool and i know would be appreciated by most of the participants.

Ok here goes nothing:

Wouldnt it be cool if we could some how organize a weekend hunting trip for some of my fellow soldiers who were injured and disabled in some way from their time in Irag and Afganistan?

I for one would volunteer to guide them on a hunt even if i had to carry them on my back to a good spot.

How do all of you feel about trying to get something like this done for our disabled vets.

and maybe be able to do it anually.

usmcjc
03-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Let us know when and where... Surely there is some rancher that would let some Vets hunt for free or a reduced price. Corbin and Patty...

txbhunter1
03-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Give us enough time and what restrictions would be involved, and I'm sure we could get something worked out. Ihave a guy not too far from here that I could work something out with. It would be a fairly easy hunt, not much of a challenge but it would get them out there. Hell, I'll carry someone on my back if need be.

usmcjc
03-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Anybody who is interested in Jason's project to take some of our injured Vetrans on a hunting adventure---Sign up on this Forum. If we can get enough people interested I will arrange a conference phone call sometime that works for as many people as possible.

We can exchange ideas on how do " get her done".

Jason
03-03-2009, 03:41 PM
the hardest part i think will be trying to decide which ones to take lol.

but if we could find some one who would reduce their prices or want to help out for free that would be awsome.

Bad thing is i cant do anything till atleast august when i get home

usmcjc
03-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Jason,, you take care of business over there and we will work on your project over here. See my last post.
Corbin and Patty

marshall
03-04-2009, 01:22 AM
I volunteer to help out any way I could...Great idea Jason!

dougepooo
03-04-2009, 01:31 AM
i live in La. but like the idea and would come over and help if the dates work out and could most likly bring more help. I also have tracking dogs. you always need those if you have several folks shpptin hogs.

CODY
03-04-2009, 01:55 AM
I'll definitely help in any way I can. I'd even be a mule like Jason and txhunter1 said and carry them on my back.

usmcjc
03-04-2009, 04:28 AM
This is the response I got from Neill--- looks like we could pull this off ,, but it will be some work. the more people we get involved the better.

Lets see how many hunters will help out.

To: Jason ,,we are going to do this one way or the other. Hang in there.....

THE E-MAIL FROM NEILLDAVIDSON************

You can help by organizing the whole event (dates, hunters schedules, etc.). Our land is actually a lot closer to Centerville - about 2 miles east of town and there is a camp house with several beds they can stay in. Since we are close to town, finding food will not be a problem, plus we have a kitchen and a buddy who can cook anything. The only thing I need to check on is access for the disabled. I don't think it should be a problem but I need to have another look around and make sure there aren't any glaring obstacles to the hunting blinds, camp house, etc. Just give me a heads up on the dates so I can let my family/hunters know in advance when they are coming and I will report back to you on access for the disabled. Thanks!

You must enter a message.

Reply:

txbhunter1
03-04-2009, 04:38 AM
Count me in also. If it happens soon, Iwill come and do what Ican inmy condition, but will definately help out in any way.Hell if need be, I'll be the camp bi--h. LOL Just let me know when and where.

txbhunter1
03-04-2009, 04:41 AM
Ialso have a place close by called the Cougar Run Ranch. It would be a very easy hunt, maybe too easy but it would get the guys out and hunting again. Hal usually charges $1.00 per lb on the hoof but Imaybe able to work something out. Just let me know.

Jason
03-04-2009, 07:51 AM
the wounded soldiers we may be able to get from Fort Hood or even Fort Sam Houston medical center. It should be a matter of just coordinating with the public affairs office on each installation. I would suggest starting out with about an handfull of hunters to see how much support this actually gets from the wounded.

http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/clap.gifthe support yall show toward our military is outstanding yall are going to make me cry.http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/clap.gif

usmcjc
03-05-2009, 02:39 AM
i live in La. but like the idea and would come over and help if the dates work out and could most likly bring more help. I also have tracking dogs. you always need those if you have several folks shpptin hogs.

this the reason you got the e-mail from usmcjc about Jason Project..

DirtyMike
03-05-2009, 03:05 AM
Maybe some one here can help me out. On TexasBoars.com they posted up about the same thing with a phone number for a guy named Will. He is part of the Wounded Warriors Project out of San Antonio. I read about the project and asked my father in law if we could take some guys hunting. My bro in law is a former Marine just back from Iraq with out injury and they are very thankfull to have there son back safe and un injured. I am also a former Marine but did not go to combat but jacked up my knee pretty bad in the 90s. Anyhow being gratefull for there service and me knowing what it is like to just sit around on a base in a wheel chair I went to work organizing some hunts. I got my father in law to agree but not a date yet, I also posted on Craigs List and got a dude close to San Antonio who is a pro guide to offer hunts. He will guide the guys for free on his land after turkey season in April. Well feeling like I got something going Itried to call Will back and the number is disconnected. If anyone has any info to contact who ever is in charge of this program in San Antonio please let me know. My father in law had a few concerns which may be some of the same that you have so I will share what Will told me.

The guys we would be taking are one or two leg amputees. We do not have wheel chair ramps or special facilities for disabled folks. Good news it is part of there rehab to get around and live in a world that is not for disabled folks. Kinda suck it up and keep on keepen on type attitude is required by these guys. They have there prostetic legs and can get around. Apperently these guys and gals are tougher than expected and are not letting missing a leg or two slow them down in life. No need to carry them on your backs. I would not even offer, they have worked to hard in rehab to be carried around. Whos gonna carry them to work. No one that is why it is part of there rehab. My hats off to them even more. Another concern was beer, booze. At our place the booze flows like the guadalupe on the weekend. We bar b q, drink and tell lies all night long. Will told me he does not know one person there that would have a problem with haveing some drinks after the hunt and they are not restricted.Cant gaurantee a hog. Not a problem, these folks are really just wanting to get away from the regular day in the hospital. Even if they dont see a hog they will be excited to get out, let lose. Transpertation, wounded warriors project shares a van with a special olymipics so they have a ride out as far as 150 miles one way. They can stay the weekend or it could be a day hunt. I think a weekend would be best a day is justto short to have to go back.

So the bottom line isthere is no reason anyone of us that has a place to hunt can not accomidate a few of these guys or gals. They have gritand need a break. They gave up there limbs to fightfor out freedoms so we can give up a weekend or twoor more.The problem is how do we get in touch with the people coridinating wounded warriors project. I found there web site and read all kinds of good stuff and even called a few numbers there and left messages. Have not heard anything back. Getting ready to start beating down doors cause these folks need a break.

DirtyMike
03-16-2009, 06:23 AM
Has anything come of this yet?

Jason
03-17-2009, 02:47 AM
YES CHECK OUT THE HOMEPAGE