PDA

View Full Version : Which dog

Jason
03-10-2009, 04:27 AM
Ok when it comes to dogs im wanting a dog that i can use to track down wounded and dead game that i loose the trail on what is the best dog for the job to train to do this besides a blood hound lol?

drahthaarman
03-10-2009, 05:38 AM
If you can fined a Drahthaar that is Blood Tracking Certified or train your own pup, you will have it made in the shade. There is no finer dog around in my book

Jason
03-10-2009, 08:16 AM
few questions on this breed.
1. how are the around children say 5 and up?
2. How is their temperment?
3. how stubborn are they to train?
4.how much do they usally run for as pups?
5. How are they as a house dog i dont like having dogs i can not have in the house.
6. How can i canvince my wife to let me get one lol (joking)
My wife says i have too many now i have a Golden retriever that was supposed to be my hunting companion but before i could train her i got deployed and never had a chance to get her use to guns now she gun shy. then i got my lap dogs a shitzu and a yorkie which are no good at hunting anything but trouble lol.

dougepooo
03-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Jason, yhis is a subject I know alot about, but it is a very complex question.For example, where do you plan to use this dog? In the northern states you almost always have to keep a tracking dog on a leash, for that type of application you might want to use a wirehaired dathson. They are believe it or not the most widly used tracking dogs in the world and the us as well. No one want a huge dog pulling them through the thick stuff. On the other hand , the southern states dont usually require a leash and we use bigger breeds that can and will stop and bay or even catch a wounded deer or pig when you find it. A weiner dog is of no help at all when you come up on a wounded animal. I use bloodhounds because they pretty much take to tracking naturally with out much effort. All of my friends use labs or mutts, usually a cross between one of the curr breeds and a little pitt bull. My advise to you would be to go ahead and train your lab to do it. He will probably take to it pretty easily and if you ever shoot in front of him he has already found the animal and if he freaks out then it wont matter. He will also be a little ways away from you so it may not effect him too much.
when are you commin home? Maybe I'll make you a deal on a bloodhound pup if you like and get him starteed for you.