PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Hunting for Hogs

lawki
03-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Has anyone ever gone hog hunting with a shotgun before?

I know of a place where I can go hog hunting for free (not public land because no permit required) but all they allow is shotgun hunting with buckshot or slug (in my case rifled slug). Was wonder if anyone else has ever used a shotgun to take a hog, or any animal, using rifled slug or buckshot?http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/think.gif

CODY
03-17-2009, 10:45 AM
There was a post awhile back called buckshotasking the same question . I copyed and pasted my reply from that post. Hope this helps.

CODY (http://texashoghunter.com/profile.php?user=CODY) wrote...

I have shot a few hogs with buckshot. I use mag loads in my 12 gaugeonly, like 3in 000 or my favorite 3 1/2in 00, the 3 1/2 00 has 18 pellets and on heck of a kick and I've taken most with that load. However with that being said Iwould never shot past 25 yards and I prefer 20 yards or less. As far as size limits go, I shot a 300lb boar at just 18 yards in the shoulder and he only ran about 70 yards and I found 12 holes out of 18 pellets in him. My guess is the other 6 went low since my shot was aimed low in the shoulder. Had I not wanted to mount him I would of shot him in the head/neck areaandI'm almost certain hewould of fallenstraight down. At a distance of 20 yards on smaller hogs around 100lbs, it will completely knock them down and they don't get up. I have never attempted to take more than one with one shot. I say 25 yards is my personal limit but I have never shot any over 20 yards. I know people who have takenhogs at35-40 yards using buckshot. But,I do feel that shoting hogs at a distance with buckshot might not be a good idea due to the loss of energy.

lawki
03-18-2009, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the quick response - did not see the prev topic.

Does anyoen else use shotgun - prefferably with slugs. I am trying to find out if a MOD barrell will be ok or if it really should be a IC barrell.

aggiebowhunter
03-19-2009, 05:31 AM
We have alot of hunters from the midwest that use shotgun slugs. They do an excellent job on hogs.

We dont allow buckshot. We tried one weekend when we first started selling hunts, found dead hogs for several weeks later. Just to wide of a pattern and hogs generally run in a group. Now if your trying to eradicate, by all means use teh buckshot.

pigstickerx3
03-19-2009, 10:22 AM
I am firm believer in slugs for hogs. I took one with a Brenneke Rottweil MP slug at 30 yards and the hog literally rolled. It blew a massive hole. The gun was also using a Modified choke tube and it works great.

oden010
08-28-2009, 10:18 AM
That what I was going to say about slugs. We use them here in MN for deer. Unless you hit ribs you blow about 1 1/2 inch hole all the way through.

riverhog
08-28-2009, 10:36 AM
same as above, hunt a couple of ranches that only let you hunt with shotgun, i use 3 inch slug, out of a mossberg maverick ,modified. never shot over 30 yds, it'll putem on the ground real quick

catchdig
08-28-2009, 02:54 PM
i hunt deer in ohio with slugs have used riffled slugs and sabots out of riffled slug guns. have shot deer at 140 yards with sabots and 110 with riffled slugs. 1 oz of lead will knock the crap out of them .but you do need to know how high to aim at that range they drop like a rock after 75 yards

CODY
08-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Might be trying to eradicate some with buckshot from my bow stand before deer season gets here.

Keechi
08-31-2009, 06:18 AM
i bought some of these two years ago slugs and buckshot and they work great

http://www.dixieslugs.com/products.html

fivepointohno
09-01-2009, 11:42 AM
ive shot one with buck shot and shot placment was right behind the ear and drop in it tracks