PDA

View Full Version : Hogs and flour

marshall
04-02-2009, 02:06 AM
I talked to a customer yesterday at work who told me that he uses flour in his hog feeders to attract the hogs. Just regular ol' every-day flour. Bleached or un-bleached, wet or dry, it don't matter.

I know that flour is made from corn and other grains, but to see hogs eating it....

He said that the hogs will choose flour over corn every time. I talked to the guy for about 20 minutes or so and he even invited me to come hunt and see for myself.

He has land down near Houston and he buys the flour from grocers in large quantities that have been damaged, smushed, ripped open or whatever, in transit.

He could tell that I was having a hard time believing him, so he went out to his truck and got a camera andshowed me some pictures of him and hogs he's killed and they're covered with the stuff, he says they absolutely love it.

He also showed me videos of the hogs at the feeders just gobbling the stuff up.

Anyone else ever heard of this????

aggiebowhunter
04-02-2009, 04:00 AM
I can see how that works. I know a guy that uses cake batter. He buys it from a bakery supply place in 50lb bagsand mixes it up in a 5 gallon bucket works like a charm. I also know a guy that uses culled chocolate candy from somewhere around Dallas to bait his traps. He gets alot of it and his hogs are always butterball fat.

SirVival
04-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Marshall,

Can you forward or post the video?..... I'm all for it!!!

marshall
04-03-2009, 04:20 PM
The videos and pics were on his camera. Sorry, I have no access to them.

usmcjc
04-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Flour?? That's why I like this site,, I have never heard of it for hog bait but I am going to give it a try,, I will let you know....

Thanks for the info,,http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/lol.gif

Corbin and Patty

SirVival
04-04-2009, 05:35 PM
What the heck.I'm going out again this Monday night and i'll put 10# a flour in a pile by the feeder and see waht happens. If I end up stinking up the area for that night, the game cam should get pics of them eating it the following nights. Should be interesting!

squirt
04-06-2009, 11:23 AM
on my way to H.E.B.. I have heard some methods in my day, but this one takes the "CAKE" lol.

mrbowhunter
04-07-2009, 03:02 AM
did u see anything? how did flour work?

marshall
04-09-2009, 03:37 AM
Well....what was the outcome? I am curious to hear about it too.

tbug
04-17-2009, 03:15 PM
If anybody has tried this, let me know if it worked.

JLH
04-18-2009, 09:57 AM
we have used rice bran , flour , day old bread we sometimes buy it by the truck load and just feed it if you can find a tortilla facture they will usally let you put a couple of barrels thier and they will throw the rejects in it and man it feeds hogs real good also you can find a big cow trough and keep it filled with rice bran and they hogs will actual sleep in it.

howie1968
04-18-2009, 01:07 PM
yes ive tried it, and it does work!!! hogs love flour any type of grain etc, i used to get free bread a few years back before this bakery closed down hogs would go crazy over the bread, then a farmer in woodville showed me an old trick using the flour and bait holes mixed with water and corn i dug bait holes layedered the corn with floiur and dirt i will post pictures as soon as i dig through my photo cd it worked great espeically if it is free, i wouldnt just go buy it as i believe rice bran and sweet feed work as well with less mess

FeederHelperGuy
04-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Sounds like a cheap, easy bait to me. I think I may put some out near a favorite watering hole for them in West Texas and see what happens.

DirtyMike
04-24-2009, 08:21 AM
still waiting for a video from Sirvival with hogs coverd in flour then blasted with the 30-30.

jscorbett
06-01-2009, 02:59 PM
aggiebowhunter (http://www.texashoghunter.com/profile.php?user=aggiebowhunter) wrote...

I also know a guy that uses culled chocolate candy from somewhere around Dallas to bait his traps. He gets alot of it and his hogs are always butterball fat.

AFFAmember a few years ago did an Agriscience Fair project on fattening cattle with chocolate. This student lived near the Hershey candy factory and cattle nearby were fed the chocolate. I don't remember the particulars other than it seemed to work very well as compared to regular cattle feeds.

DosPlumas2009
06-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Huh...how bout that?? I'll have to give that a try...

txbhunter1
06-01-2009, 04:13 PM
That would have to be a lot of Hershey's kisses to fatten up a big ol boar. LOL

Hogdude1234
06-01-2009, 04:53 PM
MMMM.....chocolate....maybe I will start eating Snickers bars in the tree stand. I tried Twix at the 4Pines!!!! LMAO!!!!!

txbhunter1
06-01-2009, 05:05 PM
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!

DirtyMike
06-03-2009, 04:11 PM
I think it is the snickers that made this ol boar fatten up too much.

hawaiihoghunter
08-11-2009, 10:10 PM
I had a buddy tell me about using plain old flour mixed with a little powdered milk. heck i never tried it be maybe ill give it a shot.

bigisland1hoghunter
08-14-2009, 11:14 AM
i tried it once and it works alright but i like to use hog wild that work very good for me i seen pigs come in one hour after putting it out you should try it

rusa7476
08-14-2009, 07:06 PM
using chocolate to fatten up cows huh???

do they give chocolate milk afterwards..... lol

oden010
08-25-2009, 12:08 PM
They can't be to much different then bear. Has anyone tried oats and fryer grease or cracked corn and fryer grease?

squirt
09-26-2009, 05:20 AM
Hogs will eat anything including each other.Flour, molasses and cornmeal works good too. Pour the molasses in a mixing bowl and mix in the dry ingredients. Mix it real good then find a god, heavy log or a tree, then with your hands (using a kitchen glove), rub it all over the log. When the pigs come in, they will bypass the corn under your feeder and shoot for that sweet smelling stuff.

HawgDaddy69
10-06-2009, 08:43 AM
I'm gonna try the flower but guys let me tell ya something plain old table salt in a shallow hole is what i been using every 2 weeks i put it out and they come in and plum dig a ditch, the deer love it too!

squirt
10-15-2009, 01:31 PM
NEWS FLASH: THE FLOUR WORKS

HCHogHunter
10-21-2009, 01:08 PM
squirt, got any pic's !

squirt
11-09-2009, 01:58 PM
I cant show the pic online due to it being a dead sow in my trap. But trust me, flour works. They dug trenches.

HCHogHunter
11-13-2009, 02:16 PM
gotcha!!

IcelandBP
11-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Good stuff!!! cheap is good!!!!! cant wait to get set up and try it!!!

Chizzad
11-16-2009, 10:27 AM
I bet if you throw some raspberry jello in ther with it it would make em go extra crazy. Might make the meat taste sweet too!!!

HCHogHunter
11-20-2009, 02:33 PM
I bet if you throw some raspberry jello in ther with it it would make em go extra crazy. Might make the meat taste sweet too!!!

?

ggonzales
01-25-2010, 07:23 AM
I'm gonna have to try that flour in my hog pipe mixed with corn and then scatter some near my feeder in a pile or in a hole, we got some monster pigs hitting the hog pipe but they only do it once every two weeks or so, not consistent enough to pattern them and bring home some pork chops

Jordan1991
02-02-2010, 03:49 PM
DAM that sounds like a real good somethin to try. Beats the heck out of paying 6 bucks a bag for corn. Does anyone else know of anything else that might work. Im trying to get the hogs on my scedule not me on theres

Huntings anderson, van Zandt county anyone got some good pics from these

ggonzales
02-04-2010, 02:57 AM
My dad put some flour in his hog traps and around his feeders / hog pipes, and the very next morning there were two pigs in the trap covered in flour!!! Pork chops in the freezer thanks to hoghunter.com

poman
03-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Got my flower in the ground under my spin feeder right now. Trail cam set up on the flour and will post results when I get back out there. Thanks for the tip.

Jordan1991
03-21-2010, 04:04 AM
you will be suprised poman. i always take a little and sprinkjle it in a few trees so it blows in the wind and draws them in.

hognut
03-21-2010, 12:03 PM
I just bought 2 ten pound bags of floor, and I'm going tuesday to bait three traps and set three game cameras up.

I heard if you bait the area and give the hogs a few days they will come in to the baited area and contiue to come back till all the good stuff is gone. They get used to you baitng the area with all the smell goods and one of their friends gets shot. So they relate the friend getting shot to the good smell stuff and it takes them a while to come back and trust it when they smell the good stuff again.

I Will return next sunday to hunt that night. Hopefully with some pics.

ggonzales
03-22-2010, 03:46 AM
Good luck hognut, hope that flour works for you or at least you get some good pics on the game cam to post up!!!

hognut
03-22-2010, 05:37 PM
I've got more than flower. I have 50 lbs sowered corn with 3 ltr big red, 12 cans of old milwakie and three gallons of nasty asss rotten milk, I'm going to try burying potatos all around ( not sure what that will do), got some used peanut oil to put on a post with carpet (probably won't work), Strawberry daquri mix ( just in case the hogs have a blender), maple syrup, a bucket of rotten food from the last 3 maoths and peanut butter(peanut farmers are having the biggest problem with the hogs around our lease). Of course this is why my wife says I go out to feed the hogs.

hognut
03-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Don't forget the bag of apple. I have that too.

ggonzales
03-23-2010, 03:10 AM
An old school hog hunting buddy of mine loved to use old bread from the bakery and he would throw that in his hog traps and it worked pretty good, we use apples to attract the deer during hunting season along with a pile of stinky grain, cotton seed, etc!!!

hognut
03-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Traps are baited, Two traps and one feeder. I put flour on one trap and soured corn on another. I put the rest of my baits at the feeder I usually hunt. It looked like I vomited hog bait! I brought two camers. One was a pre existing camera and the other was straight out of the box. I forgot the batteries for the new camera! So, I put the one camera on the trap we have that used to be a feeder pin that I turned into a trap today. If no action on the camera I will hunt the working feeder. The feeder has an active waller under it. Plus one of the other guys on the lease set up lights all over that feeder. Going Sunday to hunt it.

JimB
04-18-2010, 04:52 AM
My dad put some flour in his hog traps and around his feeders / hog pipes, and the very next morning there were two pigs in the trap covered in flour!!! Pork chops in the freezer thanks to hoghunter.com

I thought about putting flour in a hog pipe mixed with corn but if it gets wet will it turn to glue and stop up the holes?

ggonzales
04-18-2010, 06:16 AM
Just sprinkle some on the ground or put it in a pile right next to the hog pipe, your right it could plug up the holes

CODY
04-18-2010, 05:33 PM
I have yet to ever try this. Need to give it a try though. I use either rasberry jello or the koolaid with the suger already mixed in when I dig post holes or just pour it under the feeders. I have put the jello mix in the feeders but it gums up a bit on the motor shaft so I normally don't do it.

ggonzales
05-21-2010, 05:43 AM
I just got off the phone with the Ranch Manager at "La Mota" ranch in Benavides TX and he told me he loaded two traps this week with flour and pancake syrup and the next day he had a 300lb boar and 150 lb sow in two traps. Problem is he did not thin he would catch anything and forgot to check the traps early and left the hogs too long exposed in the sun. The big boar had got one of his tusk tangled in the trap and wire and they had a tough time getting him out of the trap. Good news is the flour / pancake syrup seems to be doing a good job of attracting hogs.

cabledad
06-04-2010, 01:31 PM
A trucker turned his semi load of Graham Crackers over in Dallas today people were loading up until the health dept stuck there noses in and said they have been in the sun too long,probably would make good hog bait,I personally love graham cracker and milk.Chuck

AbileneHogMan1
07-02-2010, 06:25 AM
Hey guys, I’m new to the site but love the info. I had baited my traps forever with corn, soured corn, bread and most everything I could think of. They all worked...on catching possums, porcupines, raccoons & armadillos. I would find the traps set off with all sorts of pissed off critters incarcerated. I have even found raccoons hanging stuck in the cattle panel by the hind legs trying to escape.Itseems raccoons and possums are mortal enemies with the raccoons winning the cage matches.I did catch hogs with these baits but more often than not I would find the traps full of the afore mentioned vermin or tripped and out of bait.

I finally went to the source of wizen knowledge...old ranchers & farmers sitting in the run down country stores.

The overwhelming conclusion was DIESEL! They said fill a 5 gallon bucket with corn and pour in a half cup of diesel. Spread some outside the trap leading in and cover the trigger. The critters don't touch the corn with diesel but the pigs eat it up. It does not affect the taste of the meat.

As far as baiting hunting setups I use corn, country time lemonade, peanut better with syrup, soured corn with yeast, sugar & strawberry Jell-O & vanilla extract.

Fill a 300lb feeder with corn and strawberry country time lemonade. When the feeder goes off it coats all the vegetation with the strawberry lemonade making a huge sent trail. The peanut butter & syrup I mix together and fill home made hanging syrup dispensers. 4 inch PVC pipe 14 inches long with a bottom cap and a screw on top that I hang from the trees. The heat of the day slow drips the mixture and it leaks out the holes drilled in the sides making a gooey mess on the ground. When it cools off at night they stop. This also leaves a huge sent trail. Hang those 3 feet off the ground and the pigs push then around like a piñata. The corn, yeast, sugar & jell-O sour for 2 weeks and I fill side by side cast iron sinks with it. The vanilla extract I pour into water bottles with a paper towel and hang from the trees about 2 hours before I hunt. This also leaves a huge sent trail. Hope this helps.

http://texashoghunter.com/oldatt/479 lb.jpg

PigBadWolf
08-07-2010, 08:10 PM
I have had good results with a mix of flour and used cooking oil or bacon grease, I pour it down the sides of trees. I like the idea of baiting the hogs with bacon grease. It's like fighting fire with fire.

NiceRack
09-26-2010, 09:38 AM
AbilineHogMan has it right with diesel. The hogs are attracted to the sulpher in the diesel so use high sulpher off road diesel and let it set on the corn for 5 days in a drum in the sun, then add some milo and mix it up and cook some more.

They know the sulpher helps keep ticks off.

ggonzales
09-30-2010, 04:37 PM
We have been consistently catching hogs in our traps at La Mota ranch recently with a mix of flour and syrup, but I think the most important factor is that our place is just full of hogs right now and when they are there, they are easier to catch in the traps no matter what we use for bait!!!

NiceRack
10-07-2010, 04:28 PM
My brother just told me to buy "Anise" from the spice rack at the grocery store. Hogs go nuts for it and its mixable withy flour, etc.

AbileneHogMan1
10-08-2010, 04:44 AM
I have use Anise in the past...it is the main ingredient in the Grim Reaper attractant form Texas Boars. I had marginal success using it for hunting. It worked best on traping. If you buy Anise oil your looking at $50 for a 16oz. bottle and that's on sale. It will go a long way but for the cost I'll stick with cheap vanilla extract from Wal Mart. .50 cents a bottle. Works great and doesn't add more cost to my pig hunting. I will try the flour this year. I have a friend that manages a grocery chain that I can get damaged bags for next to nothing. I hope they don't catch me poking holes in them on the shelves.

squirt
04-29-2017, 10:47 AM
Flour works.