PDA

View Full Version : What did we do wrong?

lrhog
04-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Went hunting 2 weeks ago in Knox County, 4 of us hunted, only one even had a shot, which he killed, nice boar. Here is what we had going: We had filtered white LEDS, (with red lighting paper) overworking feeders, we did our homework and before getting out at night, we positioned blinds/tripods into the wind. Even spread strawberry jello. Heard pigs each night, we new they were there: rubs, scrapes, etc. They just never came in. To add insult to injury, as we were leaving the filed friday morning, a herd of 20 or so ran across a wheat field inot a thicket of mesquite!! 300yds out! Seemed like we did everything right, this was our third hunt...Is it just the nature of the hog? any advice or comments would be helpful...

Excellent weather by the way, except for friday. (March 26th)

BWebb65
04-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Who knows. Sometimes hogs seem to have a sixth sense about things. I have had em come in to the feeder like nothing is going on all the while I am sitting in a 15 feet ladder stand. Then other times I have had them come in on the fringes just out of range but never come into he feeder when everything seemed the same as before.

Bode

dougepooo
04-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Maybe they approched from down wind and smelled you and maybe you left the stand too early.

aggiebowhunter
04-29-2009, 02:26 AM
Id put it on one of these three things if not all of them,

Theyve seen you, smelled you or heard you.

CODY
04-29-2009, 06:10 AM
I agree with both Randy and Doug. More often than not they smell you and they see better than most people think they do. At night the chances of one seeing you is slim, but during the day they notice things that aren't normally there or when the windows to a blind are open. They could of heard a truck or even worse a 4 wheeler before you got to the stand. I always park and walk at least a 1/4 mile into my hunting area. I've hunted hogs right on the Knox/Haskell Co. line near Munday Tx. Lots of wheat and peanut feilds in that area with plenty of hogs.

timhicks
05-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Id put it on one of these three things if not all of them, Theyve seen you, smelled you or heard you.

Agreed 100 % they either smelled you or they are bedding close and heard you but I would say they smelled you

timhicks
05-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Id put it on one of these three things if not all of them, Theyve seen you, smelled you or heard you.

Agreed 100 % they either smelled you or they are bedding close and heard you but I would say they smelled you

Oh and I am not sure of what white led lights you are using but a www.texasboars.com (http://www.texasboars.com) feeder light wont scare them