PDA

View Full Version : a little turkey with our ham

Guess
04-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Me and Michelle got in a little turkey hunting this evening. As we parked the truck I spotted some turkeys in the brush behind the barn. We got all our gear together and started calling. The gobbler gobbled his head off, but wouldn't cross the remnants of an old barb wire fence, he just moved away from us after a while. We decided to cut through a thicket and try to get out in front of him. In the process we pushed a huge boar out of his bed, but the wind was in our favor so he wasn't sure what had pushed him. I grunted and squealed with my voice and he came back circling to get our wind, unfortunately he crossed our tracks before he offered Michelle a shot and cleared out. Well we lost our gobbler! We hiked 2 miles the direction we thought he had gone but he went the other way. We hiked 2 more miles back the other direction and finally got him to gobble again. I knew the clearing he was in so we dropped off in a creek bed and got around him he was still gobbling his head off. I stayed put and kept calling whileMichelle closed the distance {crawled} before he could move away again. She got to where she thought he was and when she raised up for the shot he putted and moved away. I told her to follow him and I would go around calling to him to try and calm him. It worked, he dropped off in a ditch and gobbled 1 more time giving his position away. Michelle readied for a shot and when he came up out of the ditch she put a 58 yard smackdown on him with her 12 ga. 8.5 inch beard and 5/8 inch spurs. On our way back to the truck we called in 3 jakes to within 15 feet of Michelle. After we dropped the turkey off at the truck we decided to check the wheat fields for hogs. Sure enough we saw 3 boars grazing in the first field. Michelle counted down and we shot, my hog went down and hers ran. My hog got back up and headed for the timber where he died. Michelle had missed hers, so while I headed to the truck to get the camera she headed to the next field about a mile away and found a lone boar feeding. She shot him right below the ear with her 7mm mag from 100 yards away. Oh did I mention there were thunderstorms and tornados passing through the are while we were doing all this, we got a little wet!
http://www.gofoxpro.com/foxpro_photos/albums/userpics/10002/normal_Michelle_gobbler_8_5_4-12-09.jpg
http://www.gofoxpro.com/foxpro_photos/albums/userpics/10002/normal_Michelle_boar_4-12-09.jpg

http://www.gofoxpro.com/foxpro_photos/albums/userpics/10002/normal_Me_boar_4-12-09.jpg

txbhunter1
04-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Well if y'all got a little wet, you guys sure dried out nicely. LOL Great hunt, great pic's and a great story Guess. You had it going on today.

Guess
04-13-2009, 02:28 AM
we're a lot wetter than we look, fortunately we didn't get soaked. We had just about dried out by the tiem we got the hogs.

txbhunter1
04-13-2009, 07:18 AM
Looks like the Mrs kind of outdid you that day. Minedidthat once on her first ever hunt. I was proud as could be, even though Itook some ribbing from the rest of the guys. It was worth it.

SirVival
04-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Nice Job!!! Vittles a plenty!...

milton
04-15-2009, 03:35 AM
cool story