PDA

View Full Version : Close Call

marshall
02-01-2009, 02:24 AM
Some friends and I were bow-hunting at the Boar Creek Ranch one weekend. Brandon had shot a large pig earlier in the evening and we were looking for it down in a creek bottom. It was late and we were tired and hungry. The creek-bed itself was very rugged, littered with large roots of trees growing on the banks, slick mud and rocks and mud-holes of every size, some with water in them. The walking was quite difficult, especially at night. Our flashlights were low on batteries and we were considering going back to the cabins. We had been searching for about 2 hours when all of the sudden the hog jumped up out of a mud-hole squealin' and hollerin' at us. It was literally about 6 or 7 feet from us. Our first instinct was to run, but the sides of the creek-bed were very steep and we had no where to go. I drew my .357 as Brandon hollered.."don't shoot it in the head, I wanna mount it"! (DUH) I popped off 2 rounds in it's chest but it just kept trying to get us. After a couple of seconds, it appeared the hog was not able to get up completely. Apparently it's back legs were paralyzed from the arrow Brandon had shot at it, but we weren't sure. In all the confusion, the little "tracking dog" the ranch owner (Nick) had brought with us and almost led us to slaughter, had found and caught a baby pig, killed it and laid it at me feet. Well here comes mama pig and she's pissed. The dog is barking, the wounded pig is squealing, we're hollerin', mama pig is bluff charging, flashlights are almost dead and I have 3 bullets left...the whole thing was somewhat confusing. Well, I popped off the 3 remaining rounds into it's chest, because Brandon is still whining about mounting the dang thing, and the hog just stands there. Mama hog runs off from the noise of the gun and we are left there bumfuzzled. We can here the noise of a 4 wheeler and the ranch owner says that it's his guys looking for us. We start hollerin' and soon they show up with a 12 gauge shotgun and some 3" mag slugs. Nick fires a round into it's chest from about 3 feet away and the hog just stood there for a second ( a long second) and then it slowly just tipped over and fell into the water. It took us about 1 1/2 hours to winch that hog up the steep bank and get it on the 4 wheeler, we were exhausted. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

justincorbell
02-01-2009, 09:23 AM
now thats a hog hog there son!

CODY
02-01-2009, 11:36 AM
So after all of those holes put in him, did he mount the hog or not?

marshall
02-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Oh yeah, he mounted it. With a story like that how could he not...heh heh

kellyg
02-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Iremember that hunt very well! It was a good weekend wasn't it Marshall? http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/biggrin.gif

marshall
02-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Yeah, that was a great weekend. We all had a blast!

LWArchery
02-05-2009, 08:11 AM
I was not a big fan of that place do to them not letting me find my hog.

marshall
02-08-2009, 06:31 AM
Oh stop it,... you had a good time and you know it. Don't make me drive to Whitney.