PDA

View Full Version : BEST BAIT

chad
05-01-2009, 02:49 AM
WE HAVE TRIED CORN,SLOP, & SWEET POTATOS. NO DOUT THAT THE ROTTEN SWEET POTATOS ARE BY FAR THE BEST BAIT PILES IN OUR AREA. WE ARE VERY LUCKY TO HAVE A FARM ,NOT FAR FROM US THAT GIVES US ALL THE CULL POTATOS . IF YOU CAN TRY THEM OUT , THEY WORK GREAT HERE .http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/thumleft.gif

Keechi
05-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Next yr I want to plant Keffer pear trees in several locations.There is also a company that sell wildlife pear trees in La.We killed 9 hogs at a old pear tree last yr on 6 hunts.Deer love them too.The deer would eat the fresh ones and the hogs loved them when they started to rot.

Jason
05-01-2009, 08:36 AM
So what about the other market items for hogs do any of them really work all that well. im going to have to try the sweet potatoes. if i can get a couple bushels and not eat them myself lol.

dougepooo
05-01-2009, 01:11 PM
it is illigal to bait with sweet patatoes in Louisiana and probably in Texas as well because as they begin to rot they become poisinious to deer. freash ones are fine but still illigal.

txbhunter1
05-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Not sure about sweet potatoes in Tx. Not sure Iwould take the chance beings they are poisonous to deer. To much money invested to poison them now.

Jason
05-01-2009, 05:28 PM
didnt know that

dougepooo
05-02-2009, 01:41 AM
its the only bait that i know of that you cant use other than live decoys.

Gigem
05-02-2009, 04:19 PM
I've never heard that either. I didn't find anything about sweet potatoes on TPWD's website (other than some recipes and an article that listed them as a recommended summer forage for deer.)

aggiebowhunter
05-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Next yr I want to plant Keffer pear trees in several locations.There is also a company that sell wildlife pear trees in La.We killed 9 hogs at a old pear tree last yr on 6 hunts.Deer love them too.The deer would eat the fresh ones and the hogs loved them when they started to rot.

Weve got a feller in Marquez that has a pear orchard and has brough us over 500 hogs in the past 10 months or so. He brough over 100 one week back when the pear were falling. He picks up the rotten ones and baits his traps with them. Its unreal how much he catches using pears

chad
05-05-2009, 05:05 AM
it is illigal to bait with sweet patatoes in Louisiana and probably in Texas as well because as they begin to rot they become poisinious to deer. freash ones are fine but still illigal.

MAN WE GROW SWEET POT HERE & HAVE USED FOR BAIT GOING ON TEN YEARS , NEVER SEEN A DEAD DEER !!!http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/naughty.gif

http://texashoghunter.com/oldatt/Photo020.JPG

chad
05-05-2009, 05:12 AM
txbhunter1 (http://www.texashoghunter.com/profile.php?user=txbhunter1) wrote...

Not sure about sweet potatoes in Tx. Not sure Iwould take the chance beings they are poisonous to deer. To much money invested to poison them now.

I HAVE BAITED DEER FOR TEN YEARS , NEVER SEEN ONE DEAD YET.THEY LOVE THEM . I REALY HOPE IS DOSEN'T JUST PUT OUT ANOTHER 70,000 LBS FOR THIS MOUNTH.MAYBE YOU HAVE DIFFERENT TYPES OF POTATOES?http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/clap.gif

http://texashoghunter.com/oldatt/Photo020.JPG

CODY
05-05-2009, 08:07 AM
I've been having great success with strawberry jello just poured straight out of the boxon the ground under the feeder.

dougepooo
05-05-2009, 02:44 PM
The following was taken directly from the Louisiana hunting regulations. It has always been this way since 1959 and when I have asked why the law existsI was told that sweet potatoes become poisonous to deer when they begin to deteriorate.

METHODS OF TAKING RESIDENT GAME BIRDS AND QUADRUPEDS

No person shall take or kill any game bird or wild quadruped with a firearm fitted with any device to deaden

or silence the sound of the discharge thereof; or fitted with an infrared sight, electrically operated sight or

device specifically designed to enhance vision at night {R.S. 56:116.1B(3)}.

It is illegal to intentionally feed, deposit, place, distribute, expose, scatter, or cause to be fed, deposited,

placed, distributed, exposed, or scattered, raw sweet potatoes to wild game quadrupeds.

Use of a longbow (including compound bow and crossbow) and arrow or a shotgun not larger than a 10 gauge

fired from the shoulder without a rest shall be legal for taking all resident game birds and quadrupeds. Also,

the use of a handgun, rifle and falconry (special permit required) shall be legal for taking all game species

except turkey. It shall be illegal to hunt or take squirrel or rabbits at any time with a breech-loaded rifle or

handgun larger than a .22 caliber rimfire or a primitive firearm larger than a .36 caliber.

During closed deer gun season, it shall be illegal to possess shotgun shells loaded with slugs or shot

BustedAssRanch
05-06-2009, 04:50 PM
edit.

dougepooo
05-10-2009, 03:06 AM
The following was taken directly from the Louisiana hunting regulations. It has always been this way since 1959 and when I have asked why the law exists I was told that sweet patatoes become poisinis to deer when they begin to deteriate.

METHODS OF TAKING RESIDENT GAME BIRDS AND QUADRUPEDS

{R.S. 56:116.1B(3)}.

It is illegal to intentionally feed, deposit, place, distribute, expose, scatter, or cause to be fed, deposited,

placed, distributed, exposed, or scattered, raw sweet potatoes to wild game quadrupeds.

Here is your edited version. and I got it online so anyone who wants to can look it up for themselves. Now i was told that the law exist because sweet patatoes become poisonis to deer as they rot but I don't know it for sure, but what ever reason they had for making it illigal to use them must be sweet patatoe specific since it is perfectly legal to bait with virtually anything else but sweet patatoes. the only other exception being live decoys. other than that, corn , sweeet feed, fruit, vegitables, scents, minerals, whatever, all legal and commenly used. I gotta believe there is somthing to it.

I personnally would have thought that deer would stop eating any thing as it went bad and maybe they do but the law exists just to be on the safe side, i dont know ..........

SouthTexasPighunter
05-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Here's one for ya. 25lbs of corn two gallons or whatever them big cans are of pineapple juice, two boxes(sp) of raspberry jello and enough water to cover the mixture up. Put the corn, juice and jello in a five gallon can and mix it up when mixed fill the can the rest of the way with water and stir it up then cover it and set it in the sun for three or four days then bait your trap or hog area. Good luck.

STP

DosPlumas2009
06-19-2009, 02:18 PM
We are lucky enough to have a Bread source here. Once a week we go into town and get a 16ft horse trailer full of out dated bread and sweets. It last only 1, ( that's right), only one night. Let me translate that for you, 6 hours of unwrapping bread for one nights feeding. That either means I have a lot of hogs or they like it so well that they just can't stop.On the up side they come back for days after the original feeding to the same areas that we feed. The way I have it figured is that they stomp the bread crumbs into the dirt while feeding and are coming back to eat the dirt to make sure they are getting the last bit.Any way it works great for us.

USHogOutfitters
06-20-2009, 06:13 AM
I use fish parts for bait with great results. Just hang fish scraps in a tree after you have cleaned it of course and you will have many hogs underneith trying to get at it. I have seen nothing better to date and I try everything I can for bate.

dougepooo
06-20-2009, 06:52 AM
I had a bunch of really large shinners in late january and I put them in a big bucket and put corn on top of them and then let em sit for weeeks before putting them out and that got eaten pretty quick.

dougepooo
06-20-2009, 06:57 AM
really big shiners!

http://texashoghunter.com/oldatt/florida pics day 2 cam 2 004.JPG

jscorbett
06-26-2009, 02:27 AM
I was told that ducks love sweet potatoes also.

Keechi
06-26-2009, 04:03 AM
we had the bow shoot last weekend and crawfish boil-I baited a hog trap and 3 coon traps with the crawfish heads and corn cobs-caught 2 shoats and 4 coons in three days. I think we are so dry they will eat anything right now-maybe dougepoo and I can start making CRAWHOG

rusa7476
06-26-2009, 10:25 AM
has anyone tried the diesel soaked burlap on a post, i was told they love to come in and rub on it.....

another friend said he digs a two foot deep hole witha post digger then pores the corn in and around....

it takes them longer to eat it and they stick around more...

Hogdude1234
06-26-2009, 10:32 AM
has anyone tried the diesel soaked burlap on a post, i was told they love to come in and rub on it.....

another friend said he digs a two foot deep hole witha post digger then pores the corn in and around....

it takes them longer to eat it and they stick around more...

I am going to do the burlap and diesel thing on a power pole....and put a trail cam on it and see what happens...I will post any pics I get....I have done the hole in the ground thing and it works...but the 10 inch by 2 foot hole becomes a 2 foot by 3 foot hole after a while!!!! LOL

dougepooo
06-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Keechi, just read your post, never thought about crawfish for bait. Good idea, ill run with that.

txhogkiller
07-09-2009, 06:54 AM
every time i put bait out the crows get to it before the hogs do.. i have tried every thing to keep the crows off but the still eat it up

Hogdude1234
07-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Hey txhogkiller,

Try holding off on baiting your area until later in the day, like an hour or so before dark. I had a problem with crows cleaning out my hog traps of corn during the day when I baited them in the morning. I started baiting in the evening and that helped a lot!!! Then all I had to deal with was the coons!!!! Damn corn thieves!!!! LMAO!!!

Shane Ladewig

>>-------------------------------->

TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

txhogkiller
07-09-2009, 07:30 AM
thanks hogdude.. i'll try that this evening

USHogOutfitters
07-09-2009, 07:36 AM
you can also use a small pvc pipe 2' or so with holes drilled into it . Cap it on each end and you only have to fill every week or so. 4" diameter pipe is what I use. Remember hogs smell it from a distance and dont seem to mind it being in a pipe or on the ground.

squirt
07-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Hey Txhogkiller, heres what ya do. (now normally I charge for this info) wait til dark, get an old tire, stand it up and pour a halfa bag of corn in it, crack open a cold beer and watch how a pig can kick around a tire to get the corn out. it works, but ya gotta wait until the birds have went to roost.You'll need a good rifle for the pigs, but you'll only need a .22 for the coons. try it out.

Hogdude1234
07-14-2009, 05:45 PM
My Dad just bought some corn and roasted soybean mix... it comes in regular 50 # bags...he put a few bags in each of his spin feeders...the hogs went crazy over those beans!!!!! I tasted one, and damn they were good...

Shane Ladewig

>>------------------------------>

hawaiihoghunter
07-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Well here in Hawaii we pay anywhere from 10$-22$ for a bag of corn so we like to make it last. What i do is take a 6" PVC pipe about 6-8 foot long put a cap on both ends making sure i can get at least one side off easily and drill a 3/4" to 1" hole in the side of the pipe. Before you fill it with corn and throw it out there. You have to make the attractent. to do that all you need is a 5 gallon bucket filled half way with corn. Add 1 cup sugar and i know this might sound like a waste of good beer, but add one beer(12oz or more.) Then fill with water just enough to cover the corn. Cover the bucket and let it sit in the sun for at least three weeks(do keep in mind i live in Hawaii and where the weathers in the mid 80s and sunny year-round.) After the corn has sat for three weeks, take it out to where you want the hogs to go. uncover the the bucket and hang it where the hogs cant reach it. Now get that PVC pipe and fill it with corn and place it on the ground under the bucket. The hogs will come into the area looking for the smell of the attractent and find the pipe and start to push it around to get to the corn. Being that the hole lets out small amounts of feed at a time they will work at it for awhile. When the the feed in the pipe runs out dump the bucket on the ground the hogs love it. At this point to keep the hogs in the area all you have to do is keep up with the corn in the PVC.

Give it a try and let me know how it turns out.It works for meI dont see why it wouldn't work for you.Happy Hunting...

txbhunter1
07-28-2009, 01:37 AM
Hawaii,

Ihave made the very same corn brew you have but only in a 55gal drum. 50lbs of corn,10lbs of oats,1/2 gal milk, 6pk of beer,1 packet of yeast and water. Let it sit and it will grow. My brew lasted several yrs but make sure your gag reflex's are not too soft. It gets bad, but have poured just the juice from the brew on my traps and had hogsdig holes to get at it. Ihave actually had to use a vet's glove so not to get it on my skin when filling the buckets. The smell will have to wear off. LMAO!!!!!!!!!

dougepooo
07-28-2009, 02:15 AM
yuck,you know, they will come to things that smell pleasent too! Say a nice fruitty smell.It doesnt have to make peaple throw up to work!

txbhunter1
07-28-2009, 03:34 AM
Right but it does work effectively at keeping unwanted neighbors out of your yard and away from your stand locations. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It also grows some of the "BIGGESTGRUBS" Ihave ever seen in my life. http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Gonehuntin68
07-28-2009, 04:13 AM
I will stick with plain old corn. Pigs can smell it from a long ways off and I would bet almost every pig in Texas knows that when they hear a feeder go off, there is corn on the ground. The pig pipe works good but my problem is the pigs empty it in one night and I only use 5 5/8" holes and holds 40#s of corn.

hawaiihoghunter
07-28-2009, 02:20 PM
well as for the hog pipe that I make I only make 1 hole 3/4" -1" and it holds about 50lbs of corn. On any given day i have about 20-30 hogs come and feed on it a day. So because there is only one hole, most times only one hog can feed on the pipe at a time. Bigger hogs tend to just run off the smaller ones that are feeding to get at the pipe. it normally last me about a week or so.

spin feeders I use those on our farm and some other places where I know we are the only hunters. The Hog pipe i use on public grounds most time deep in the mountains and you never know who might come across them. If their was a spin feeder out in the middle of no where and some @$$backwards no good guy "HUNTER" came by He would probly take it, but if it was just a PVC he most likely leave it. plus if he did happen to take it it would have only cost me 20bucks or so, but if it was a spin feeder well big bucks.

txbhunter1
07-28-2009, 03:01 PM
True statement man. Ihave lost feeders, stands and cam's on "MYOWNLAND" before.

Hogdude1234
07-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Really good point about using the Hog Pipe on public land. I am learning something here!!!

Shane Ladewig

>>-------------------------->

oden010
08-25-2009, 12:20 PM
About using fish for bait. Have you thought about any possible parasites that you could be introducing into your herd. Flukes, tapes,and other such things?

dougepooo
08-25-2009, 01:02 PM
I seriously doubt that there are any parisites that live in the water and infect both fishes and mamals and if there are the chances of them serviving being in a dead fish for a period of time and then eaten are pretty low I would think.

txhogkiller
08-30-2009, 08:17 AM
this coming friday im going to put out a huge bucket full of green apple peelings with a little water and milk and let it sour...... i hope it works