PDA

View Full Version : Circle trap

BustedAssRanch
05-11-2009, 06:46 AM
I thought I would post up the trap we are using on a few places.

in this crude pic. the trap can be wired open along the dotted line to let the pigs come and go freely to get used to it. when you are ready to trap you untie the internal panel allowing it to contact the outside overlapping panel. the hogs will push their way in following that brown line and when they try and get back out they will push the internal panel tighter against the overlap and can not get out.

http://texashoghunter.com/oldatt/Pig trap.JPG

CODY
05-11-2009, 02:03 PM
I like your trap, simple and easy

fivepointohno
05-11-2009, 03:13 PM
8 pigs in 1 trap thats effective man

KABOOBIE
05-14-2009, 04:50 AM
do you ever have any problems with them rooting under the panels, causing you to have to move this setup?

BustedAssRanch
05-14-2009, 05:04 AM
I have not yet...Thinking about it..If I do..I will go to my 4th favorite store & grab some sack crete...Let me explain. I have about a 1/2 acre dog pen out side..It is not close to the house so I don't have a hot wire around it as I have done in the past. Instead I took sack crete & put it on the fence at the ground..when the dogs dig under the fence they only dig a little ways down then they push the fence. They cant do that with the sack crete. I don't think the hogs could either. Also make sure to check the trap daily. I have had them come over the top..I am still thinking about how to get past that. I might end up putting cattle panel over the top & wiring it together.

Hope this helps

Kevin

KABOOBIE
05-14-2009, 05:41 AM
Ok, the sack crete is a good idea, I wouldn't have thought of that. Even with those high panles they have come over the top?

BustedAssRanch
05-14-2009, 05:58 AM
This is a picture of a friends trap..I use regular cattle panel on mine..They have come over the top of it...When he built this one I was wondering how the panel would hold up. It is still brand new with no real tests yet...

Kevin

dougepooo
05-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Ya know what I always think about? Those high fence operations that have hog hunting and also have lots of free ranging hogs around sould have several one way trap door so that pigs on the outside can come in but not leave.Thats what i would do and i would put a feeder just inside.

countryboy
05-17-2009, 07:41 PM
I have three of these traps set up. I have never had any problems with pigs getting out of them. The only problem is when you get a large number of pigs in there and you approach the trap when they all run to one side of the trap. They will climb each other and you loose one or two of them. Really good trap though. If the door gets stuck open you can put a spring on it or use wire to tie the top of the door shut. We have caught as many as 24 pigs in one trap.

BustedAssRanch
05-18-2009, 01:50 AM
Also you can use a round trampoline frame on the top to tighten things up..Just build it the size of the frame.

milton
05-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Man we've worked our butts off today triing to build a trap. I love this man. Very simple to build lite weight and inexpensive. another AWSOME IDEA from bustmyass Ranch.

BustedAssRanch
05-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Glad it worked for you! Be sure to post up some pics!

Jason
05-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Whats the total price on a set up like that. i have seen them used before but as i have never trapped hogs before i am curious as to see how many of these i could afford.

BustedAssRanch
05-19-2009, 05:00 AM
Cattle panel is running about $30 each for the 16 footers. You will need at least 4 of them. T-post are 5 or 6 each how many of them you will need will depend on a few things.

Look to spend just over $200 if you don't have any of this laying around.

DosPlumas2009
10-04-2009, 04:09 AM
I have used this type of set up before and was very successful. However I always found that when it came time for loading the hogs, they just ran in circles. My question is, how do you get yours loaded and do you unwire the panels to make a chute into the trailer?

rusa7476
10-04-2009, 03:53 PM
i helped a buddy useing the same type of trap. what he did is back up the trailer to the flap area of the trap and lower a ramp to the door. then he tied a rope to the flap and just pulled it open. took a little coaxing and a cattle prod but they ran straight into the trailer...

lawki
11-27-2009, 06:55 AM
how far apart are you guys spacing the t-posts?

lawki
01-15-2010, 08:57 AM
how far apart are you guys spacing the t-posts? are they 4 6 or 8 ft apart - worried about the hogs being able to push on the fence and start causing issues....what is recommended? I would think 6 ft would be tight enough or has someone else had issues and found a better spacing?

redog
01-22-2010, 02:57 PM
How big around is the trap ?

BustedAssRanch
01-28-2010, 11:36 AM
How big around is the trap ?

As big as you want it to be. 4, 5, 7 how ever many you panels you want to use.

Hogdude1234
01-28-2010, 03:11 PM
<embed height="344" width="425" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UqSWKrg4Q2k%26hl=en%26fs=1%26rel=0%26ap=%2526fmt=1 8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>

Shane Ladewig

&gt;-----------------------------------&gt;

TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

Sniper Hawg Lights Pro StaffMember