PDA

View Full Version : How many hogs on 150 acres?

CustomCrest
05-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Ok, my dad justleft his job working for the state at the Prison to take on a job as a ranch manager for a small high fenced ranch outside Caldwell, Texas. Currently they have about 35 White-tail deer and 4 Axis deer on the property. They really don't do a lot of hunting. The place is SUPERnice and is generally used for retreats, weddings, and proms. However my dad is a bow hunter to the bone so he is has some things in the works and really wants to get a few hogs to put out there as well. How many hogs (boars cut) would y'all think is too many for a 150 acre high fenced ranch that is more focused on maintaining an astetically pleasurable appearance rather than a good hunt?

Thanks for the input, Ireally dig this place. It's one of the cooler sites I've found for sure!

aggiebowhunter
05-20-2009, 09:09 AM
If it were me and I had that place and that kinda cash. Id go with pure russian seedstock and might put 5-10 boars or cut boars only on it.

One thing Ive seen for certain is wild hogs will eat fresh fawns. If i had an exotic/whitetail operation like that under high fence I would not have any hogs in it with those deer in that small space.

BustedAssRanch
05-20-2009, 09:20 AM
First off congrats to Spur. Good things come to good people.

I would be careful putting hogs on a place that small. If the land owner does ok it be sure to set up extra feed stations & fence in the protein stations so they dont destroy them. Make sure their is plenty of water for the wildlife also. For sure cut boars.

txbhunter1
05-20-2009, 09:21 AM
150 in enough but small to have both. Any way he can section one part off for hogs?

CustomCrest
05-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Not sure really, I haven't looked much into it. Y'all do bring up some good points that make me want to talk him out of it. However I think if he kept the numbers small enough it would be alright. I think the guy currently has something like 11 feeders up on 150 acres. He doesn't really know much about hunting or wildlife in general. He just wants to know something is out there.

I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on it as well. Thanks for the advice!

txbhunter1
05-20-2009, 10:33 AM
That is alot of feeders for that small of a place. 4-6 would be plenty. You never could pattern anything with that many out there. Just my opinion.

CustomCrest
05-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Yea I know. You should see the stand set-ups they have for bowhunters. It's almost commical. I wish I had some pictures. I'm going out there Friday so maybe I will get some for your entertainment.

txbhunter1
05-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Ihave seen many that when you look at them , you kind of step back and say "WTF" and you guys run a bowhunting business. LOL I have never ever sat in one that the rancher or mgr have set up. With one exception and that was at Langley. It was in a good spot.

CustomCrest
05-20-2009, 11:02 AM
The good old Langley ranch. I've sat in one of those stands myself. That's a cool place.

DirtyMike
05-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Seems like a small place to high fence in the first place. Things could get crowded fast with pigs. I would also guess to stay with cut boars. It would be fairly easy to get bored seems like. Cause you would always know exactly what is out there. I hunt 112 acres. I can cover the whole area in a few hours stalking. I even jump the fence to the neighbors 60acres cause I have already walked all the trail on our place that night. What keeps in fun is not knowing what may have or may not have crossed the fence. Anyhow sounds like a real nice place. Good luck.

CustomCrest
05-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Seems like a small place to high fence in the first place. Things could get crowded fast with pigs. I would also guess to stay with cut boars. It would be fairly easy to get bored seems like. Cause you would always know exactly what is out there. I hunt 112 acres. I can cover the whole area in a few hours stalking. I even jump the fence to the neighbors 60acres cause I have already walked all the trail on our place that night. What keeps in fun is not knowing what may have or may not have crossed the fence. Anyhow sounds like a real nice place. Good luck.

Yea man, Itotally agree with you it is a small place for a high fence but it's all he has to work with right now. Like Isaid it's not really used for hunting as much as showing.

Cuz
05-20-2009, 02:31 PM
If it were me and I had that place and that kinda cash. Id go with pure russian seedstock and might put 5-10 boars or cut boars only on it.

One thing Ive seen for certain is wild hogs will eat fresh fawns. If i had an exotic/whitetail operation like that under high fence I would not have any hogs in it with those deer in that small space.

Exactly to the T what I was gonna post!!!

fivepointohno
05-21-2009, 08:42 AM
i know of a 100 acr high frence property has 60 pigs uncut sals included has 3-4 elk 3-4 axis about 20 bighorn all living in harmony i say 15 acres is open land 2 acres is a pond the rest is thick woods

CustomCrest
05-21-2009, 09:16 AM
i know of a 100 acr high frence property has 60 pigs uncut sals included has 3-4 elk 3-4 axis about 20 bighorn all living in harmony i say 15 acres is open land 2 acres is a pond the rest is thick woods

Good lawd that's a herd...he's packin' 'em in deep.

USHogOutfitters
05-21-2009, 03:32 PM
It all depends on how much you want to feed them. If you can aford to feed them well you can hold quite a few hogs inside of 150 acres. But you have to go with what will make you the money you need to keep going if deer pay the bills.

milton
05-22-2009, 07:46 AM
I'd be careful if they love the appearence of the property. They may ware some stuff out. tear it up possibly.

venado
05-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Zero hogs is the answer if the owner has any sense at all.