PDA

View Full Version : Treestands, Ground Blinds, Box Stands or Tripods?

JustHunt
02-03-2009, 10:52 AM
What's your preference, a treestand, a ground blind, a tripodor a bowhunting box stand? Also if you prefer a treestand, do you prefer a lock on, ladder, climber or a pallet & 2x4's homemade jobber? What brands/models do you like best (Double Bull, Ameristep, Summit, Gorilla, etc.)?

CODY
02-03-2009, 12:13 PM
I prefer to use a ladder stand when at all possible. It enables me to get higher off the ground (I use a 16 footer ). I like the ease of the ladder for getting in and out. Ladder stands in my opinion conceal fairly easily. The only problem is I can't always use one since most of the time I hunt in West TX and most of it is mesquite and cedars, with some live oaks. Most of the time I find myself puttingmy ladder standin a large cedar. Not sure what brand my ladder stand is but I bought it at Acadeny and it is very basic. I use pop-up blinds alot but in early bow season it just gets to hot in them for me and so I normaly only sit in one in the morning when it's cooler. However i do like the shot tru mesh, concealment of the hunterin a pop-up is great. I don't like the fact that they stick out like a sore tumbunless you put it under lowhanging branchesor in some bushes or cover it with tall grass or brush. I do use tripods but tend to find it hard to get enough cover at just the right heightfor thetripod and they also have a big stance which makes it hard to get theminsome thick stuff alot of the time. Although, one of my most favorite bow hunting setups ever was with a tripod. Sowhen I can, the ladder stand for me is #1.

NelsonV
02-03-2009, 01:35 PM
I always prefer being up a tree if Ihave the choice. It gives me more advantages thanbeing on the ground. If I'min a tree then I'm in a Summit tree stand. I prefera climbing stand dueto being more mobile.But if Ihave to lock on on then so beit. If my only option isa groung bilnd then I like either Easton or DoubleBull. Ithink the Double Bull is the best for filming but unfortuantley it cost the most.

Live Life at Full Draw

nate
02-04-2009, 01:59 AM
Iprimarily use a 12 foot buddy stand. It is built for two people. Ilike the extra room Ihave by using the two man. It is way more comfortable. Ialso use single ladder stands that are 16 feet off the ground.

1Speedtrap
02-05-2009, 01:25 PM
I've got a quad that I've had for years and love it, HOWEVER, I really like pop-up blinds. I think I will buying me another DB sometime in the next month or so.

Jason
02-20-2009, 02:13 AM
I like to use my old ladder stand that i found in a junk pile took it home replaced a few parts and put a plastic swivil boat seat on it ive killed 3 hogs from it and will continue to use it.

rudderbowsarchery
03-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Just hunt. Actually, I am half nuts and really enjoy a ground hunt from behind a tree or bush with a traditional style wood bow or a medieval crossbow or an atlatl. deer are ok,but, they dont fight back like a ticked off Hog. Love the adrenaline rush of chasing a Hog and trying to hit him in the engine compartment with a sharp arrow head or Atlatl dart . Bolts off of a medieval all wood crossbow aint bad either. You have an excellent day.