PDA

View Full Version : Hog lures

jscorbett
06-01-2009, 03:00 PM
What are your experiences with prepared hog lures? I have used some with great success.

Hogdude1234
06-01-2009, 03:43 PM
I just bought some Code Blue Sow in heat. And some Tink's Dominant Boar. Going to be doing an experiment with both here on the ranch this week. I will make a couple vids and post them on youtube and then post on here. I can't wait to try this. I have never used any scents for hog hunting.

BustedAssRanch
06-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Scents can work depending on how you use them. A hogs nose is great. I am trying to write a short story on scents & a hogs nose. I'm just running a little behind on a few things right now.

dougepooo
06-02-2009, 02:23 AM
hey guys, here is a little somthing I read about hog scents you may be interested in. First, people tend to go to their stand, put out some kind of scent and just expect hogs to come a runnin. Well it just does'nt work that way. If there were hogs close enough to smell it they were probably on their way to your feeder anyway.What i read said that the way to use scents is to put it out 2 or 3 days ahead of time giving the pigs time to find it and then they will frequent the area more often looking for the sourse of what ever smell you have put out.

Now i don't know if it works or not but i do know that pigs can't just materialize out of thin air just because yoou put out somthing that smells nice to them.

Hogdude1234
06-02-2009, 02:56 AM
hey guys, here is a little somthing I read about hog scents you may be interested in. First, people tend to go to their stand, put out some kind of scent and just expect hogs to come a runnin. Well it just does'nt work that way. If there were hogs close enough to smell it they were probably on their way to your feeder anyway.What i read said that the way to use scents is to put it out 2 or 3 days ahead of time giving the pigs time to find it and then they will frequent the area more often looking for the sourse of what ever smell you have put out.

Now i don't know if it works or not but i do know that pigs can't just materialize out of thin air just because yoou put out somthing that smells nice to them.

Doug, that is so true man. If a person is hog hunting smart then they have done their scouting and know pigs are already frequenting their hunting area. So there is really no reason to use scents in that area. I am going to do a test of these scents....put them out in a random spot where I do not hunt or do any scouting...even in places where I think hogs do not go. I will put trail cams on these spots to see what happens.... It will be interesting to see the results. I will post these results as soon as I come to a conclusion!!!!!

marshall
06-02-2009, 03:06 AM
My experience with scents and lures leaves a lot to be desired...to say the least. I have put out Tink's dominant boar and I have also tried the sow-in-heat. Neither one worked at all for me. I even made a "pig bomb" to allow the scents to be dispersed over a period of time, AND I've poured it out right on the ground to get maximum smell in the air. Again, neither worked at all and I know for a fact that there are hogs in the area. What seems to worked the best for me is to get out my tiller and just till up the area, put some strawberry jello powder in the corn feeder (1 box per bag of corn) and sit back and wait. That's just MY 2 cents, and it probably ain't even worth that.

dougepooo
06-02-2009, 04:21 AM
My experience has been that scents and calls are not very effective in pig huntng.I would like to hear otherwise but i'm very scepticle about them, for pigs and deer.

Hogdude1234
06-02-2009, 05:26 AM
Again...being a smart hunter requires scouting...and by doing the scouting you most likely know what you have visiting your feeder on a regular basis. My theory has always been to not throw something different into the equation when you get to the stand....like scents and stuff. I have hunted places where the feeders have been going off regularly for months and the animals are used to it....then when the hunters arrive they or the guide throw out something completely different from what the animals have been used to smelling and eating. That has always resulted in leery animals from my experience.

dougepooo
06-02-2009, 08:57 AM
jscorbett, tell us your sucess stories.

txbhunter1
06-02-2009, 12:49 PM
For deer, I'm a believer in Golden Estrous for the yr you are hunting. Ihave seen it work first hand last yr with 2 different bucks come right to the scent pad, hwne most likely, they would have stayed out of sight until dark. BUt they work at certain times of yr and only on receptive animals. Deer hinting the rut, Yes I use them religiously along with Primo's buck growl and the "Big Can" Ihave wtched deer come to them running, but again, it only works with receptive animals. As far as hogs, Icould not say. I have used the Tink's sow in heat and also the dominant boar, and Iagree with Hogdude, if the animals are there they will smell it and maybe be back more foten and at diff. times to have a look see. Also agree with Doug in that if there are no animals around, putting out scents, no matter what it is, they will just not magically appear. All you can do is try it. If you have it out and an animal comes in to feed and smells it, it may give you that extra second to get a shot off or it could send them running for the hills. MPO, take it however you like.

Cuz
06-02-2009, 01:55 PM
I can not speak for hog lures either but I can for deer. I've seen bucks walking across a field, down wind, and stop and make a 90 degree turn and trot to doe in heat scents. BUT I've seen bucks walking through the woods and come across the same doe in heat and when they come across it they bust and run, blowing the whole way.

So from my experience it depends on the deer, like Gary said. I only use it when I've seen bucks bird dogging or when the setup is just right. Meaning the scent will only blow in a certain direction. Maybe into a thicket or creek where I know bucks move but don't usually exit.

I'm assuming hog lures work and should be used the same way? Very interested to hear your test results Shane!

Hogdude1234
06-02-2009, 02:05 PM
I can not speak for hog lures either but I can for deer. I've seen bucks walking across a field, down wind, and stop and make a 90 degree turn and trot to doe in heat scents. BUT I've seen bucks walking through the woods and come across the same doe in heat and when they come across it they bust and run, blowing the whole way.

So from my experience it depends on the deer, like Gary said. I only use it when I've seen bucks bird dogging or when the setup is just right. Meaning the scent will only blow in a certain direction. Maybe into a thicket or creek where I know bucks move but don't usually exit.

I'm assuming hog lures work and should be used the same way? Very interested to hear your test results Shane!

Gunna set that up tomorrow!!!! http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/smoking.gif they should make smokes that smell like a doe in heat!!!! LMAO!!!!!!

Cuz
06-02-2009, 05:21 PM
PHEW You'd be a better man than me if you could smoke em!!

Cuz
06-02-2009, 05:21 PM

And yes please do!

jscorbett
06-03-2009, 02:23 PM

Wow, Doug. That's a heck of a pig in your photo.

I hunt a place that is extremely frustrating in terms of trying to have hogs work feeders regularly. It is in more of an agricultural area. My previous hog experience had been in the flatwoods of Georgia - closer to the Okeefenokee Swamp. You put out some corn there and the pigs will be regulars, if you don't screw it up by being dumb.

This area was a no - go. Pigs might hit the feeder and then not visit again for a month or longer. When I used some Grim Reaper and Black Gold, all that really changed. Pigs became regulars of a sort. Maybe not everyday, but certainly several times weekly. This was all verified by trail camera.

Now, that's not to say that I have taken alot of monsters like Doug's photo there, but, the pigs did start using feeders frequently.

dougepooo
06-03-2009, 02:46 PM
that pig looks huge and it is my biggest but at 271 pounds it isnt nearly as big as almost everyone claims to have killed.

Hogdude1234
06-26-2009, 10:55 AM
My results for 2 different hog lures:

I set up two different lure sites on the ranch in areas where there are plenty of pigs around, and put a trail cam on each site. One lure was Tink's Dominant Boar urine, the other, Code Blue's Sow N Heat urine...

I left the cams up for two weeks. I had no pictures. No hogs investigated either lure. This was somewhat surprising, but interesting. I figured I would get a pick or two of something, like a young curious boar. I am wandering why? Are there too many sows around? Are these pigs too smart for that, what? Any ideas why I got these results? Anyone have experience using these types of lures? This is the first time I have ever purchased any hog lures and most likely the last!!!!

dougepooo
06-26-2009, 01:56 PM
I would like it if you would put out a smalll amount of corn in those exact spots and see how long it takes to get pics. If they show up quickly,that would say alot to me.

rusa7476
06-26-2009, 04:51 PM
the only hog lures ive seen really pin point and guarrenty a hog are Joes dogs, lol

what about diesel corn i've seen that work , or candied corn.....

Hogdude1234
06-27-2009, 02:53 AM
I would like it if you would put out a smalll amount of corn in those exact spots and see how long it takes to get pics. If they show up quickly,that would say alot to me.

Doug,

I will set that up today. I can almost guarantee the pigs would come to the corn. I have yet to NOT have pigs come to corn on this ranch. Anywhere I set up a stand and or put out a bait pile it gets hit by hogs very quickly. The two sites I set up were within' 50 yards of two different deer feeders that pigs go to almost every night. I put them on the south side of the feeder so the south wind would blow the scent in the direction of the pigs.

What would it say to you if the pigs showed up?

Shane

dougepooo
06-28-2009, 05:35 AM
it says that they are without a doubt in the area and are not for some unknown reason afraid or otherwise avoiding the particular spot.If they show up quickly to eat corn but didn't even come over to investigate commercially prepared scents, well I think that says that those things don't work worth a crap, At least in your area. I seriously doubt they work anywhere but there is always a chance i suppose that they may react differently in another area or situation.

nencop
07-21-2009, 05:44 PM
I am new to hog hunting, but I have studied scent alot. Placement is a huge factor. There are three things scent always does. Scent rolls down hill, is attracted to moisture, and attaches to vegetation. If you put scent near a down hill slope, a majority of it is going to end up at the bottom of the hill (not taking wind into the equation). If you put scent near a water source, the water source is going to attract the majority of the scent. When you are walking through vegetation, you are ALWAYS depositing scent molecules. These are the main reasons some hunters feel that attractants dont work or scent blockers dont work, it is all about placement and avoiding areas where you will deposit human scent.

Gonehuntin68
07-22-2009, 06:41 AM
I have tried Tinks, Code blue and INheat scents. I really can't say if they helped or not in any way. I know I have seen less hogs when using them then when not.

Hogdude1234
07-24-2009, 04:30 PM
I have tried Tinks, Code blue and INheat scents. I really can't say if they helped or not in any way. I know I have seen less hogs when using them then when not.

10-4 on that!!!!!

Shane Ladewig

>>------------------------------>

TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

dougepooo
07-24-2009, 06:20 PM
I have used call to with no sucess at all. I think they are all are a bunch of hog wash!

Gigem
07-25-2009, 07:24 AM
What size hooks do ya'll use on your hog lures?

Hogdude1234
07-25-2009, 01:05 PM
What size hooks do ya'll use on your hog lures?

Mine's 100 grain, deploys from the rear, cuts a 2 inch gash, and leaves one hellacious blood trail. http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/twisted.gif

Shane Ladewig

>>--------------------------->

TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member