PDA

View Full Version : New Article - 7 Bad Habits of Highly Unsuccessful Hog Hunters

neilldavidson
02-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Here's the new article:

http://texashoghunter.com/7-Bad-Habits-Hog-Hunters.php

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this article. It will be appearing next week in a newsletter going out to 250,000 hunters. I'll keep you posted on the traffic it brings. Thanks again!

Neill

aggiebowhunter
02-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Those are great pics with the article. Article aint bad either :D

CODY
02-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Like the article. That's all good advice.http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/thumleft.gif

marshall
02-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Great article. Hogs are one of the smartest animals in the woods I believe. They can out smart ya every time if you don't do your homework.

faraway
02-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the article. It was interesting for me being that I have never been close enough to take a shot at a hog. I have only seen them run accros the road. Since that day I wanted to hunt them. What cal of a rifle of pistol to you recomend. I really like the 44 MAG. Do you ever hunt with a bow? Is the kill zone the same for hogs as bear?

nate
02-05-2009, 02:22 PM
That is very cool!Congrats.

aggiebowhunter
02-06-2009, 02:16 AM
faraway (http://www.texashoghunter.com/profile.php?user=faraway) wrote...

Thanks for the article. It was interesting for me being that I have never been close enough to take a shot at a hog. I have only seen them run accros the road. Since that day I wanted to hunt them. What cal of a rifle of pistol to you recomend. I really like the 44 MAG. Do you ever hunt with a bow? Is the kill zone the same for hogs as bear?

.44 mag will work. If you look on here this is a video of a hog charging me and a hunters. 388lbs and he kills him with a .44 Its a great hog hunting round. Only problem I have is hunters typically try to pull the hammer backonce the hogs have got near and the noise of the revolver generally scares them off.

Personally Ihave a .45-70 TC contender that I hunt with. Pretty much a hand cannon. Does the job perfectly. When I have youth hunters and women I carry a XD45 for protection and a tracking knock out gun. It has been a great carry gun but I dont hunt with it. I have an Insight light and laser that attaches to the rail that makes tracking jobs nice.

I have not hunted a hog with a gun in over 7 years. All I do is bowhunt for them now days. I know nothing about bear hunting but Ill share my secret of how to make a hog fall wiithin 20 yards with a bow.

Wait til he gets broad side. Follow the back of the hogs front leg up to his belly line. Find the top of the hogs body compared to the belly line.(whole body width) Now cut the whole body width in half. Shoot him perfectly in the center of the lower half directly up from the back of the front leg. With a good sharp fixed broad head he will fall within 20yds. I see alot of folks trying quartering shots. While the do work I get a large percentage of them wounded. If you follow my technique youll never lose a hog.

JustHunt
02-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Vitals are more forward and lower on a hog...behind the shoulder, you may be in for a long tracking job. I lost first one I ever shot, shooting it like a deer. I got smarter in the hours after the shot. Now, it's simple. PINTHESHOULDERSTOGETHER! If you do that with a good sharp broadhead it won't go far. Shooting the shoulder, I have tracked one hog 75 yards. Everything else has dropped within 40 yards. I did heart shoot one once that must have had some air in him because he went 100 yards on a heart shot! Impressive. So the saying goes, "Pin the shoulders together." That said, if it is a quartering away shot, sneaking one in right behind the crease of the front should is incredibly productive as well.http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/mrgreen.gif

I'll also mention I've always had good blood trails with arrows and many questionable or even absent trails with a bullet. It's hard to plug up a 1 1/8"- 2 1/2" hole depending on your broadhead. I've seen a lot of bullet holes plug up, ending your blood trail when there's no exit wound. Don't have that problem with a bow.

Good luck!

Stanoman
02-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the information - am new to the hog hunting arena but very interested t soak up any available information. Maybe and article on where a regula workign guy can find a good place to hunt without spending an arm and a leg?

Thanks,

Erichttp://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/razz.gif

Roscoe
02-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Neat article...I'm not guilty of more than 5 or 6 of those!http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/redface.gifhttp://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/mrgreen.gif

NelsonV
02-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Very well written. I believe you could have titled that 7 Bad Habits of Hunting any Game Animal.

milton
05-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Give us more like that Neil.

dozzer47
05-29-2009, 07:48 AM
It really helps us the ones that are new to hog hunting,so thanks alot and please keep them coming.

Hogdude1234
02-06-2010, 07:37 AM
I still think this is a great article. Thought I would comment on it to bring it back to the Home Page!!! Good luck hunting to ya'll!!!!!

Gonehuntin68
02-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks Shane, I would not have read it otherwise.

ggonzales
02-08-2010, 03:08 AM
THe more informtation the better hunters we can become!!!

auggie
08-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Great article...just started bow hunting about 2 seasons ago...I've heard that it's not good to hunt in the warmer months, because the meat is no good. (I like to eat what I kill!) Any comments on the quality of meat in warm months would be appreciated...

Gigem
08-24-2010, 09:08 AM
Auggie,

I would personally disagree with the notion that the meat isn't any good in warm weather. The quality of the meat is going to depend on 3 things...what the hog's diet consists of, how you care for the meat after the kill and, of course, how you cook it!

If the hog has plenty to eat, he/she should have a fair amount of body fat. If, because of hot weather, the food sources are depleted then you might have a pretty lean carcass, which most people don't like. The biggest thing to watch in hot weather is that you get the animal cleaned and chilled as quickly as possible...meat spoils quickly at 100+ degrees!

So, if you find a hog that's had a good food supply and you properly care for the meat, it should be excellent table fare! (unless it's a 400 lb cheesey bo' hog that you can smell from 100 yards upwind....and I don't recommend cooking it over a fire of pine knots, lit with diesel fuel either!)

Welcome aboard!

SirVival
08-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Awesome Article and Great Job!!!

JoeP
11-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Great article, especially for a beginner. At 53, I am familiar with being in the wild but I haven't done any hunting so, I decided that I want to start hog hunting. I would appreciate any advice and direction that you have to offer.

todd
11-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Thank you for posting the article. I am new to the sport (never been on a hunt) and am trying to learn all that I can.

Tattoojoe
11-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Todd: Your in the right place then. I have jsut completed my first hunt and learned so much by talking to the gret ppl here. Good Luck.

ARhoghunter
11-18-2011, 06:44 AM
Good article & very true. Both my wife & I hunt with AR223s using a good Remington or Hornaday hollow point. Most of our shots are 25-70yds. We have never had a problem bringing a hog down. We aim just below & behind the shoulder, piercing the liver & lungs. We have had some DRTs but most don't make it over 25yds. Only problem, some blood trails are very small in the brush until the lungs kick in.

cabledad
11-18-2011, 04:35 PM
I have shot most of my hogs with a 223 as it used to be my truck gun on the ranch I owned but now I hunt at night with a 308 or a 45 70. I have never like to chase down a hog at night its pretty impossible.Chuck