PDA

View Full Version : coon problem

Keechi
06-08-2009, 03:04 AM
How much feed does a coon steal or eatfrom a feeder?A buddy and I were talking yesterday about coon at the feeders.We were looking at trail cam pics ,in one of his he had 17 coons in the picture.I had as many as 9 in one of mine.What is the best way to keep coons out of feeders and your traps?Mine are eating diesel soaked corntill the get sick and throw up and getting the runs.Hate to just poison them,but I'mabout to break out the chicken wings and anti-freeze .I also heard that purina monkey chow has something in it that will make them sick.Has anyone tried it?

BustedAssRanch
06-08-2009, 04:46 AM
I have seen them sit up their & just sit there & spin the plate for an hour or more. I use PVC over the feeder legs. 3 or 4" PVC cut about 10 to 12 inches shorter than the lags. Drill holes in the top big enough to run baling wire through. Run the legs through it & tie it to the top of the feeder legs where it will flop around when they try to crawl up it. You can always set up a live trap & start getting rid of the one at a time.

Keechi
06-08-2009, 05:00 AM
I am doing the live trap thing now have caught 6 at 4 different feeders and traps.But it is like catch one and two takes his place.I have a light trigger on one hog trap and they have sprung it 3 nites in a row.Got a picture with 5 in the trap at one time.

BustedAssRanch
06-08-2009, 05:32 AM
Have you thought about putting chicken wire around the hog trap catching a few coons in it?

dougepooo
06-08-2009, 06:02 AM
go out and spotlight them. Or invite some friends out to spotlight them.Or better yet,find a coon hunting association close by and ask them to come hold a competitive hunt on your place. If you know your nighbors and have a good relationship with them maybe their land will be allowed for the hunt as well.or perhaps you could just open up your land to a few coon hunters and they can help. If you show them your feeders I'm pretty sure they would start there and continue hunting them until the population around them dries up.

dougepooo
06-08-2009, 06:06 AM
`invite peaple from this site to come hunt Saturday nights with you with the understanding that they must shoot enery coon they see.

txbhunter1
06-08-2009, 07:28 AM
I'll bring the .22 the weekend of the shoot Mike and we'll clean house.

countryboy
06-08-2009, 11:05 AM
go out and spotlight them. Or invite some friends out to spotlight them.Or better yet,find a coon hunting association close by and ask them to come hold a competitive hunt on your place. If you know your nighbors and have a good relationship with them maybe their land will be allowed for the hunt as well.or perhaps you could just open up your land to a few coon hunters and they can help. If you show them your feeders I'm pretty sure they would start there and continue hunting them until the population around them dries up.

I agree. We had the same problem. We go out four times a year, shooting all the coons, skunks, possums, and armadillos. Make sure you have pleanty spot lights. Wal-Mart in the auto department, sales 1,000,000 walt spotlights that plug into a car outlet. those are great and you dont have to worry about running out of battery.

Hogdude1234
06-08-2009, 12:04 PM
I was considering a home made grenade to take out a bunch of em at once...but then I got to thinking that I would blow the legs off my feeder...and that would not be good!!!!! The chicken wire on the hog trap works best...I have trapped six at a time that way...I have seen as many as 15 coons in and around the trap and feeders at once....I am wandering what corn fed coon tastes like....anyone know?

BustedAssRanch
06-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Hogdude1234 (http://texashoghunter.com/profile.php?user=Hogdude1234) wrote...
I was considering a home made grenade to take out a bunch of em at once...but then I got to thinking that I would blow the legs off my feeder...and that would not be good!!!!! The chicken wire on the hog trap works best...I have trapped six at a time that way...I have seen as many as 15 coons in and around the trap and feeders at once....I am wandering what corn fed coon tastes like....anyone know?

I am not that hungry yet.....

txbhunter1
06-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Coon is actually pretty good eating. Made in a brown gravy and has the consistency of roast beef. Pretty good..

dougepooo
06-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Fantastic, after you shoot them take em home with you!

BustedAssRanch
06-08-2009, 02:09 PM
YUCK !!!

txbhunter1
06-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Doug,

Ifugured an 'ol coonass like yourself would have some great recipes for coon man. If y'all can eat nutria rat, why not coons. At least they are corn fed and not shat from the bottoms. What gives? LMAO

dougepooo
06-08-2009, 02:40 PM
oh yea peaple around here eat em, just not white peaple.I would probably try it if i were givin a chance but i never have.I have trapped em and sold em when i was a young man.

fivepointohno
06-09-2009, 11:02 AM
ya i hear there good to, i just have the image of my garbage strung across the yard to keep me away from them. But if some one cooked it i would try it once

CODY
06-09-2009, 02:27 PM
I like using half inch hardware cloth/wire to make feeder cages or to wrap feeder cages with to large of an opening. If the opening is larger than a half inch they will get to the spiner plate. When I use the half inch wire I have no corn loss to coons at all.

Hogdude1234
06-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Hey!!!!!!!!! All ya'll come join us for the 1st annual THH archery shoot in Centerville, Tx and we will have a great time shooting and hanging out.....then we can drink some cold ones and eat a mess of COON!!!!!!!!! I got 4 in the freezer right now just for this occasion....YA'LL DONT NOT WANT TO MISS THIS EVENT!!!!!!!!!!!! There is nothing better than flinging some arrows and washing down a few coon sammiches with some cold brew!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!

BustedAssRanch
06-11-2009, 01:09 AM
We could try my all new "Coon Rub" I have been working on. Coon, skunk, whatever the rodent my all new "Coon Rub" will make it right!

Hogdude1234
06-11-2009, 01:20 AM
We could try my all new "Coon Rub" I have been working on. Coon, skunk, whatever the rodent my all new "Coon Rub" will make it right!

Well then!!!! This would be a great time for me to make a patch of my almost world famous possum fritters!!!!!!

BustedAssRanch
06-11-2009, 01:24 AM
Now I am getting hungry.....Their are some stray cats running around......

txbhunter1
06-11-2009, 10:54 AM
If you bring it to Mike(Keechi) ,Iknow he can make something from it. The man "CANCOOK".

rusa7476
06-12-2009, 09:07 AM
sounds like this shoot out is turning into a cook off........