PDA

View Full Version : Should we go fish Galveston???

Cuz
06-08-2009, 02:59 PM
The wife and I were planning on going to Galveston two weekends from now to hang out, surf fish and fish from a pier or two(if I can find one). Now I have always gone to Port Aransas to fish and only been to Galveston to "party" a few times on Crystal Beach. Is the surf "fishable" ?

So will Ike be a problem in a few weeks? Can anyone point me in the right direction to find a good pier to do some late night fishing from? And should I go north or south or over to Crystal beach to surf fish?

Any and all help would be much appreciated by both of us!

Thanks guys

txbhunter1
06-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Ihave always surf fished San Louis Pass and down towards Freeport. The water dropped off faster but after the hurricane, best thing to do it get a hold of the bait camps down there and ask them.

Cuz
06-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Well its been a whole 2 hours and I'm already leaning towards just making the extra hour and a half drive and going to Port A. I know it better and it's much cleaner. I'm hearing bad things already about Galveston...

aggiebowhunter
06-09-2009, 10:32 AM
I just fished out of the yacht basin in Galveston this past weekend. Caught 22 good trout biggest was 28". All on artificial. Theyve been hammering them lately down there.

Cuz
06-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Is there anywhere near Galveston or freeport that I can park ON the beach and surf fish? Thanks

Cuz
06-09-2009, 02:24 PM
I just fished out of the yacht basin in Galveston this past weekend. Caught 22 good trout biggest was 28". All on artificial. Theyve been hammering them lately down there.

Off a pier, at night, what kinda lures? Thanks!

txbhunter1
06-09-2009, 03:21 PM
You used to be able to drive and park right on the beach in both places, but since the hurricane, I don't know. Give the fish camps a call man. They will tell you what's working and what's not.

DirtyMike
06-10-2009, 08:12 AM
I hear stories of the waters still having a lot of nastys in them which the fish have now taken into there bodies. Aswell as higher problems with crime and getting mugged on the beach by meth heads. I would take the extra drive if it was me. Head over to texaskayakfishing.com Alot of folks are from that area and can answer all your questions. Then come by my house in Round Rock and take me with you.

aggiebowhunter
06-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Thats exactly what I heard this weekend, that alot of trash has moved into Galveston since the cane.. Waterwise there are still some cars and golfcarts out in the bay. Make great structure I think.

Check out the PINS Padre Island National Seashore, you can drive down the beach and do lots of fishing and camping right there.

Cuz
06-10-2009, 12:41 PM
I hear stories of the waters still having a lot of nastys in them which the fish have now taken into there bodies. Aswell as higher problems with crime and getting mugged on the beach by meth heads. I would take the extra drive if it was me. Head over to texaskayakfishing.com Alot of folks are from that area and can answer all your questions. Then come by my house in Round Rock and take me with you.

Ha, Meth betta pick another truck! They will have to get past my .38 and my wifes 9mm. I may not have my .38 on me when I'm fishing but you can bet your butt she will have her 9 on her while she's tanning by the truck!

Last night I booked a motel ion Clute for two weekends from now. Guess we should go to San Luis pier to night fish and about anywhere on the beach between San Luis and Surfside? Thanks for the help guys

Padre island is to far for a weekend trip. That why we decided against Port A.

Hogdude1234
06-10-2009, 01:25 PM
When I went to Port A in '07 there was about 6 foot of seaweed on the beach....they had several front end loaders and dump trucks moving all of it....dumping it on the dunes....the beeping sound of the equipment going in reverse was enough to drive me to drinking my Turkey straight...has anyone heard about the seaweed this year in Port A?

Cuz
06-10-2009, 02:00 PM
When I went to Port A in '07 there was about 6 foot of seaweed on the beach....they had several front end loaders and dump trucks moving all of it....dumping it on the dunes....the beeping sound of the equipment going in reverse was enough to drive me to drinking my Turkey straight...has anyone heard about the seaweed this year in Port A?

I've seen them do that a dozen times there in Port A. Usually early summer if I'm not mistakin. Shoulda moved down the beach some. Hell there is about 100 miles of beach going south it seems like.

Hogdude1234
06-10-2009, 02:03 PM

I've seen them do that a dozen times there in Port A. Usually early summer if I'm not mistakin. Shoulda moved down the beach some. Hell there is about 100 miles of beach going south it seems like.

That seems like all we did....move down the beach....as soon as I would start catching some fish we could hear the damn beeping again....We had fun anyways. http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/eek.gif

aggiebowhunter
06-11-2009, 03:13 AM
Right now the beach looks awesome. Doenst look like Galveston at all. The whole place is better but there has been an influx of transients from what the folks down there were telling me.

Cuz
06-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Looks like I'll be hammering the beach between San Luis Pass and Surfside.

DirtyMike
06-16-2009, 03:51 AM
So where is the report, how did things work our? Iget to take the yaks down to the coast this weekend while dropping my wife off in Victoria for her baby shower. Darn, it is a girl only shower.

USHogOutfitters
06-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Have you been to Matagorda. Nice peir and beach accessable for a 7 dollar permit for the year. Thats where we shark fish. It is south of surfside 40 minutes

Cuz
06-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Never been to Matagorda, heard a lot about it though. The wife and I are leaving out at 8 am in tomorrow morning and headed to Freeport. Should be checked in and have lines in the water and a cold beer in my hand by 1PM. I'm pumped, just spent the last two hours setting up all my rods. Got 3 big surf/offshore rods prep'd for tha big boys and 3 little ones for chunking lures.

txbhunter1
06-19-2009, 01:19 AM
Good luck man. Catch some big ones.

Cuz
06-21-2009, 10:47 AM
We are back and TIRED! Fished for a total of 13 hours yesterday. We didn't catch anything of any size but caught about 40 fish in total. Sand trout, whiting, croaker, piggy perch and hard heads. Already looking forward to going back.