PDA

View Full Version : Bow Season Preparation...

Hogdude1234
06-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Hey Guys, this forum topic is to tell us how much you prepare for the game you are in pusuit of with your stick and string. How much do you shoot your bow? Do you practice shooting from ground blinds, tripods, or in an other real hunting situations? Maybe you attend 3D archery shoots to hone your archery skills. Let us know of the methods you use to get ready to give yourself the best chance at that trophy of a lifetime!!!! We may all be able to learn a thing or two from each other.

Thanks,

Shane (Hogdude1234)

dougepooo
06-24-2009, 02:06 PM
I sould but I almost never practice. Never at all in the hot summer months.

Hogdude1234
06-24-2009, 02:59 PM
I try to shoot at least 100 arrows a week...maybe 20-30 per practice session. Sometimes I will only take one arrow out to my range and shoot it...this keeps me from just flinging arrows...I have one shot and one shot only to put it in the kill zone. I feel it makes me focus more and adds a real life hunting situation in the mix. It is that first arrow that counts right? I usually shoot from 20, 30, & 40 yards, then I go back and shoot 25, 35, & 45 yards. This is good practice at "gaping" I guess you call it. I shoot standing, kneeling, on one knee, on two knees, sitting in a chair, etc...Since I got my bow light I have been practicing at night to get familiar with it. I also attend as many 3D shoots as I can. I enjoy the challenge and it helps me at judging distance. I have yet to set up a tripod or pop up at my range, but I bet I do someday. I thought about using my climbing stand to climb the power pole, but my wife shot that idea down!!!! LMAO!!!! I just enjoy shooting my bow and getting the extra practice is a bonus...

txbhunter1
06-24-2009, 02:59 PM
I usually shootan hr and a half at least every night if possible starting in May. From elevated stands attached to trees in my front yd to standing, kneeling, 1 knee, sitting. 20-40 yds. Ialso practice a long slow draw and hold to get some hold time for those "have to draw early" situations. You can also turn your targets to give you that qtr'ing to and away shots if you have the room to doso.Ihave some therabands(BigRubber Bands)from when Ihad shoulder surgery that Iuse alot in the off season to strengthen my shoulders and back muscles in prep for the season. One thing Ihave learned also, isthat if you go out and do alot of shooting without stretching first, you could tear a shoulder and then be out for the season. Start out your bows at a lower poundage at first and work up to what you had the prior yr. You will do alot better when it finally gets here. Just my personal observations and practices.

rusa7476
06-25-2009, 01:22 PM
i actually shoot year round. Granted it is only a 20yrd range but it gets the job done for now. THis way i stay focused and tune in to what i need to fix. today i reallized that the reason my arrows kept shifting right was because i had a put release and was over extending my draw by a half inch. But i agree with gary practicing your slow pull and hold really helps. i personally add breathing, inhale with draw exhale with release. i try to pluck atleast three times a week....

Jimmie
06-26-2009, 01:35 AM
I practice pretty close daily in the back yard from 15-50yds (could shoot further; don't need to @ this time); shooting from the ground, top of the trailer, Strongbuilt16ft tripod and from the patio (need to kool down, it's getting hotter) - got to shoot the angles...

USHogOutfitters
06-26-2009, 04:09 AM
I like to hunt birds, fish, and other small game with a bow. I practice how I hunt. I use many drills that represent the actual hunt and different situations that may pop up.

Keechi
06-26-2009, 04:17 AM
shooting from a elevated location is important.I even used to climb up on the roof and get the kids to retrieve the arrows and bring them up a ladder for me.You need to shoot at every angle you can ,deer and hogs look alot different when you are up high.

papaphil
06-26-2009, 07:36 PM
I practice about 1 hour every evening

BestCresting09
06-27-2009, 06:52 PM
1 hour or so 3 days out of the week @ various distances. predetermined points then just walk and wing em the last few rounds. I need to start shooting from different elevations, including longer up hill shots etc.. my 2 cents!!!!

aggiebowhunter
06-29-2009, 06:07 AM
I used to shoot a couple hundred arrows a day. Nowdays I only practice when I kill something, rotator cuff hinders me from shooting much.

Rsatt
06-29-2009, 06:28 AM
I shoot three or four days a week, year round. I don't fish. So I hunt something with a bow all year. Hog and javalinas during the off season. I used to shoot more but age(62) has a way of slowing that down.LOL

txbhunter1
06-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Randy,

My wife works for some great ortho doc's that can get rid of that excuse for you. LMAO!!!!!! http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/mrgreen.gif

Gonehuntin68
07-07-2009, 03:24 AM
I shoot 20-30 arrows almost daily. I hunt all year and will practice the way I plan to hunt.

aggiebowhunter
07-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Randy,

My wife works for some great ortho doc's that can get rid of that excuse for you. LMAO!!!!!! http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/mrgreen.gif

Your probably right, but Ive heard from several people that their problem is 10x worse now since the operation.

MRSTXBHUNTER
07-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Randy, They just didn't have a good doctor.LOL

txbhunter1
07-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Hey Randy,

Ever since my shoulder surgery in 06 Ibelieve it is stronger than it has ever been. Ihad a really bad Labrum tear in the ball and socket and the surgery took care of it. 3 months of therapy and Iwas back hunting again. Done in late Apr and in Wi inOct. for the bowhunting season. No biggy man. Just do it. LMAO You can still guide with one good arm and it may take you 20 min now to skina hogwith one arm instead of 2. http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Hogdude1234
07-08-2009, 05:16 PM
<embed height="344" width="425" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q5esIZ7cUmM%26hl=en%26fs=1%26rel=0%26ap=%2526fmt=1 8" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>

Shane Ladewig

&gt;&gt;----------------------------&gt;

TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

txbhunter1
07-09-2009, 01:01 AM
Funny shit man. Good shooting.

txbhunter1
07-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Dude, Inever asked you whose arrow is that stuck in the stump? LOL

Hogdude1234
07-26-2009, 04:29 AM
Dude, Inever asked you whose arrow is that stuck in the stump? LOL

Well, it is mine!!! LMAO!!! I had to turn my target at that angle so I could get back far enough to practice my 60 yard shots. The first shot I took I used my 50 yard pin!!!! LMOA....Pretty damn good for left to right, but just a hair low!!!! LMAO!!!! http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/dance.gif

Shane Ladewig

&gt;&gt;---------------------------&gt;

TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

txbhunter1
07-26-2009, 07:37 AM
Just a bit too low man. LOL Been there, done that many times.

BestCresting09
07-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Randy,

I had both shoulders done (labrum tears). and the tips of the collar bone ground, they are better than ever! They only draw back is that my draw length got shorter by a inch!! Dec.06 right shoulder & Dec. 08 left shoulder.

wtmitch
02-18-2010, 06:28 PM
I've had rotator cuff surgery twice on the same shoulder 1st time i tore it pitching in high school 2nd time i tore it in a differnt spot not really sure how i did it. It really doesnt take you out that long. First i had done i was back in the weight room powerlifting by football season and i had the surgery done right at the start of summer. what was really bad is that i pitched on it for about 6 weeks after i thought i had torn and just made it worse. the doc's told me if the season would have gone any longer they would have had to anchor it the joint with screws.