PDA

View Full Version : Dos Plumas Ranch

txbhunter1
06-29-2009, 08:15 AM
Hey Guys,

Iknow this may be a bit long, but Iwanted to share with y'all my hunt at Dos Plumas Ranch. It is a great place to hunt with many, many animals of all diff species running around. It is catered to the "Working Man" and Allen realizes this. He will do what he can to get you outand successful for whatever animal you are seeking. His knowledge ofthe animals and his property is are amazing. He knows some of their hiding spots, but the rest will be up to you to get it done. As a bowhunter himself, he knows where and when to put stands and moves them from time to time so as to keep his guys on game and successful as much as possible. If any of you have ever hunted the day leases, you will know that you never sit in a pre-set stand locations cause animals will avoid them and you would have to stay more than just 2 days to figure out where the animals are at. Well, I'm here to tell you, that is not the case at his place.If spot and stalk are your game, you can do that also. If you go away hungry after Lori's cooking, that is your own fault. She makes enough for you to get full real easy. Iwould recommend them to any of you out there and believe me, the guys from Co and Iare already looking at when wecan go back. And we WILLGOBACK.

Our Hunt at Dos Plumas Ranch

When Drysmoke and I along with his 2 buddies from Co. arrived at the ranch, we were greeted by Allen WIlliams, the owner of Dos Plumas Ranch. Right from the beginning we felt as though we were at home. Allen greeted us and invited us into his office which used to be the bunkhouse for the ranch until the actual lodge was built. He gave us the history lesson on how he came to start Dos Plumas and we all swapped stories for quite some time. It was like we had kind of known ea other for awhile and were trading stories and catching up on old times.After a short, brief do's and don'ts and tour of the lodge we sat back and relaxed for a bit, caught up on lost sleep from the drive and got things ready for the evenings hunt. At 5pm, Allen's wife Lori made a feast for a king. There was enough food for 10 guys and we were only 4, so you know how much food there was to eat. After dinner we all got into our hunting clothes and got ready to be taken to our stands. Allen has a couple of secrets to getting his hunters on game that you will just have to go and see for yourself. LOLOn the first night of the hunt, we were all placed in good areas in stands that gave us clear views of some pretty good hunting land. After 20 mins or so of sitting, I had 4 cow buffalo and a calf walk right past me. They ate on some corn for awhile and then eventually moved off. Just before dark I had a couple of real nice boars come in that just did not give me a good shot. Once they left, here came some fallow deer. One real nice chocolate buck, a smaller one and 2 white fallows. They stayed for a bit and they too eventually walked off. Then right at dark, I had a group of 15 or so 40-50lb sholts come into the feeder. They were non-stop moving, never giving me a shot. As it got darker, the hogs came in in groves. The later it got, the bigger they got. I had and this is no bull, no less tan 75-100 hogs around me in my stand. It was total chaos. I did manage to get a shot off on a 60lb'er but we were not able to find it. Jim (Drysmoke) connected on a real nice boar, but he also was unable to find his. Boyd, one of the guys that came down with him from Co. connected on a 175lb boar from his stand. The next morning, 5:30am found us loaded up and ready to get back in the stands. None of us had much luck for hogs that morning but had plenty of other game around us for the entire sit that morning. After we were picked up, we were back to the lodge for breakfast, biscuits and gravy,scrammbled eggs, sausage, hashbrowns,ham and bacon. Lori cooked up a breakfast for an army. We then made game plans for me to do some spot and stalk hunting, while the others took care of a turtle problem Allen had in one of this bass ponds. The boys spent the good part of 2 hrs dispatching turtles. Maybe now the fish came breathe a bit easier. I went off in search of Axis. I got into some thick mesquite and found a small group of axis deer that would give me no more than about 60yds for a buffer zone before running deeper into the mesquite thickets of the ranch. This cat and mouse game went on for well over an hr with temps hovering way above 100 deg. At one pt of being down to my last swallow of water, I decided to call it quits for the day and return back to the comforts of the lodge, a cold shower and AC. Once again Allen's wife Lori was hard at it with the grilling of some of the best rib-eye steaks I have ever had. Dinner that night was excellent, and plentiful. We sat and joked around for a bit after dinner and got ready for the nights hunt. We decided to change up stands a bit so that I may be able to get on some Axis as they came to water and feed. I heard twigs snap behind me and I froze. I let my eyes moves left and saw a small Aoudad ram come out of the thicket. All the while he was there, I could still here twigs breaking behind me so I knew there was something else behind me but did not want to turn and look. As the min's wore on, the rest of a group of Aoudad's came to the road to feed. All within 10yds of me sitting in the tripod. As it got dark I could see a lot of hogs making their way to water but none ever came close enough for me to ever get a shot off. Jason, one of the other guys that came down with Jim from Co. sat in the stand I had sat in earlier and he too, connected that night on 2 nice hogs. 1 big sow and a smaller boar. Boyd got a shot at another but did not get-er-done. 5:30 am came and found us headed back to the stands for our last mornings sit. Almost as soon as I was dropped off back at my original stand, I had fallow deer on me. The 2 chocolates and 2 whites. They fed around me for over an hr and were really getting annoying. Fun to watch and toy with, but annoying knowing that I could not squeeze the trigger on one.LOLI then noticed off to my right and about 75yds out, some blackbucks making their way down the road. They stopped short of the feeder and just milled around for a long time. I watched the fawns run and play, chase ea other in circles for what seemed to be hrs. As soon as the fallows moved off, they came in a little closer. The bucks stayed in behind the mesquite and I watched the buck I took rack and tear up a tree for 20 mins. The does and fawns continued down the road up to a point they got real nervous. They would come in and back right out again, time and time again. This went on for about a half hr until they seemed to calm down enough to continue. They moved off to my left and began to feed. At this point, the bucks must have thought it was safe enough to come from behind the mesquite and feed. All were to my left and partially blocked by the limbs of the tree I was in. I slowly raised my bow to draw. As I started to draw, the fawn popped her head up and looked directly at me sitting there. I was at part way through my draw as she starred at me, but continued ever so slowly. It was the hardest and slowest draw I have ever made and all the while praying to myself, "please don't bust me, please don't bust". I got to full draw settled the pin on the buck and squeezed off the shot. It was high, but had enough of an angle to get the lungs. The buck spun in a circle, took a step and fell over right there in front of me. What a sigh on relief to finally get it done. The last hr, last min Blackbuck was on the ground. I had so much adreneline running through my body and was so excited to get an animal like this that I walked the mile or so all the way back to the ranch to wait on a ride back to collect my trophy as we were not due to be picked up until 9am and it was only 7am at the time of the shot. Great friendships were created this last weekend, and will be cherished forever. Ilook forward to getting back together again as soon as it cools off a bit, but wild hairs are known to come up from time to time. LMAO!!!!

If any of you out there that read this and are looking for an exciting non-stop action hunt, where you will see animals a plenty, of all kinds and sizes, Dos Plumas Ranch is the place to go.Allen's motto is a "working man's ranch". And it is just that. Geared towards the working man that can not afford the high priced exotic and hog hunts that are offered elsewhere around the country. The hospitality and food is top notch. The lodging is clean, comfortable and all yours for the stay. If you get the opportunity, sit down and talk with Allen, he has got some stories to tell you. Tips, tricks and diff. ways to make your hunt a successful one. He can get you pointed in the right direction also if you have not had a bunch of experience in the spot and stalk ways of hunting. If you want to take your kids out and get them into your passion, he is also more than willing to get them out there too. It is a family run ranch and you "ARE TREATED JUST LIKE PART OF THE FAMILY", and not just a customer. Good luck to all !!!!

http://texashoghunter.com/oldatt/IMG_2337.jpg

BustedAssRanch
06-29-2009, 08:30 AM
Dude that sounds like you had a great time!

txbhunter1
06-29-2009, 08:57 AM
I'm telling you guys, 3 days was not long enough, so Iam going back again. We had a great time.

Hogdude1234
06-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Gary, great story man!!! Well told!!! Dos Plumas sure seems like the "real deal". This sounds like a place I really would like to take my wife to hunt!!! Nothing better than great hunting and great hospitality!!!! Thanks for sharing your story!!!

Shane

>>------------------------------>

TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

txbhunter1
06-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Let's go bro. Ican never get enough of good hunting. http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Hogdude1234
06-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Let's go bro. Ican never get enough of good hunting. http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I got my arrows in my quiver!!!!!! Say when!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!

Shane

>>---------------------->

TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

drysmoke
06-29-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm READY !!

Tell you what I've never paid to hunt any place in my 30 + years of hunting till this last weekend with all the care that Allen & Lori gave us this past weekend I will continue to head back down every chance I get.

Any time Gary let me know when your ready again and I'll meet ya there !!

Jim

txbhunter1
06-30-2009, 01:18 AM
Are we there yet? LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/mrgreen.gif

DosPlumas2009
02-06-2010, 02:27 PM
I love reading that story...thanks again Gary. Hope all is well, haven't heard from you in a while. It's been busy, busy around here with our hog and exotic hunts...great times!

DosPlumas2009
02-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Yes, I know Gary...I haven't been around in a while, eh?? lol...I'm gonna work on that...

ggonzales
02-08-2010, 05:48 AM
Can you tell us what the prices are like for hogs and some of the exotics?

txbhunter1
02-08-2010, 08:27 AM
If you click on the Dos Plumas banner at the top of the home pg, it will give you all the prices for the single and pkg hunts avail. at the ranch. Give Allen a call and set something up.