PDA

View Full Version : controlling

BustedAssRanch
06-30-2009, 11:06 AM
I would like to know what you folks think Is the best control method. I have trapped quite a few years & always knew that the pigs would learn not to go near the trap after a while. We would move it & trap a few then nothing. After hunting a couple of times with Joe I have come to the conclusion that dogs are the #1 way to control them. What do yall think?

dougepooo
06-30-2009, 11:46 AM
I think that if you honestly want to make a difference you've gotta do everything you can. Use several different types of traps. Try snares. hunt them, however you can, with or without dogs. you may even have to try poison if you want to control them bad enough.

BustedAssRanch
06-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Good point Doug. If you want to truly control them you need to attack them. If you had to choose one to do the most control on..lets say 1200 acres. What would the one control method be?

rusa7476
06-30-2009, 12:39 PM
i don't think that poison ia a good method, because you have other animals that eat the "treats" and then you lose live stock you want to keep and end up run over by coyotes looking for dead animals....

Have you heard of a fence trap?

you fence in and area say 100ft by 100ft and you create a door that will let them in but not out they are not startled by the door slaming and dont rrealize they are traped until you come get them....

a friend in arroyo city tried it with an old goat pin and caught 35 hogs in one weekend...

Hogdude1234
06-30-2009, 01:40 PM
I feel trapping is MY best method to control the hog population in this area. Here's why...I have trapped over 300 hogs in 5 years on several different ranches in Montague County. I have hunted them off and on over the past 10 years and have killed maybe 25. I have never hunted with dogs, so I am not sure how many I would have caught. I will say this though, my neighbor hunts with dogs every now and then, he has caught probably 25 or so in the past 5 years, and lost a dog or two. An added note: every time my neighbor runs his dogs on his 1300 acres, I have an increase in hog numbers on our property for quite a while. He has some very thick cover over there, and the hogs tend to choose that for their bed. From my experience, hunting hogs with dogs kinda scatters the hogs, and makes them someone else's problem for a while. And my neighbor's dogs go tromping though the wildlife "sanctuary" as well, disturbing the deer and other wildlife that live there.

Doug, I agree with you, employing several different methods to control hogs seems to be the thing to do. And these methods most likely vary from one region of the state to the next. We caught 22 head in a 20 foot pen trap in one night, my hog trapping buddy has caught up to 100 pigs in a week in the same pen trap...He saved the farmer about 10 grand in grain loss and property damage!!!!! Great Topic Kevin!!!

Shane Ladewig

>>-------------------------->

TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

BustedAssRanch
06-30-2009, 04:18 PM
I will have to try the pen trap...I have not tried anything like that.. I do have a question. Your neighbor runs the doge on his 1300...& you see an increase..So would you say that he is controlling them pretty good on his 1300? I mean if he is running them off his 1300 on to the surrounding properties he is doing his job on his place. Right?

Hogdude1234
06-30-2009, 04:27 PM
I will have to try the pen trap...I have not tried anything like that.. I do have a question. Your neighbor runs the doge on his 1300...& you see an increase..So would you say that he is controlling them pretty good on his 1300? I mean if he is running them off his 1300 on to the surrounding properties he is doing his job on his place. Right?

No, they usually come over here for a while, but they make their way back over there once the the threat is gone and their fear subsides. To me, population "control" means to get rid of them for good, not just for a short time. It is funny, when I see an increase in hogs, that is out of the ordinary, I can call him, and 9 times out of 10 he will say he hunted with his dogs the previous weekend!!!!

Shane Ladewig

>>------------------------->

Cuz
06-30-2009, 04:31 PM
If you want to truly control them you need to attack them.

That's it!

BustedAssRanch
06-30-2009, 04:48 PM

No, they usually come over here for a while, but they make their way back over there once the the threat is gone and their fear subsides. To me, population "control" means to get rid of them for good, not just for a short time. It is funny, when I see an increase in hogs, that is out of the ordinary, I can call him, and 9 times out of 10 he will say he hunted with his dogs the previous weekend!!!!

Shane Ladewig

That would be eradication. Control is just that. Control. What if your neighbor ran his dogs every other week for a year? How big would his hog population be? I dont know. I'm asking. I'm just saying they are smart as all get out. If they know a trap is in the same spot, they dont go in it. If they know a feeder with a stand that killed aunt Martha is over there, they go 600 yards to the left. If they know a dog is biting off ears in this 1200 acres, they go next door & eat their corn..You have controlled the problem on the 1200.

Hogdude1234
06-30-2009, 05:44 PM

Shane Ladewig

That would be eradication. Control is just that. Control. What if your neighbor ran his dogs every other week for a year? How big would his hog population be? I dont know. I'm asking. I'm just saying they are smart as all get out. If they know a trap is in the same spot, they dont go in it. If they know a feeder with a stand that killed aunt Martha is over there, they go 600 yards to the left. If they know a dog is biting off ears in this 1200 acres, they go next door & eat their corn..You have controlled the problem on the 1200.

MMMMMM.......Interesting thoughts here......I'm scratching my head!!!! And my elbow!!!!! I guess if he ran his dogs a lot more than he does, and I had his pigs over here, then I would have to say he has controlled his problem for the time being.

I am starting to think that if a person just tries to control his hog population then he is fighting a loosing battle. As fast as these pig reproduce, the offspring will be there taking the place of the smart hogs with no ears.

Eradication might be a better alternative. For every sow I shoot, have I not controlled hundreds if not thousands of pigs? This is some interesting stuff.....never thought I would be racking my brain over pork!!!! LMAO!!!!

Shane

>>------------------------?

Gigem
06-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Trap what ya can and shoot the rest! We don't do a whole lot of trapping this time of year because of the heat but we are out with the night vision 3-4 times a week. Probably average 4 per night....last trip we got 10.....you never know how many of the pesky little rooters are going to show up for rehabilitation class.

USHogOutfitters
07-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Boy this could be a touchy subject

I do agree that all methods of hog removal are nessasary because every situation is different and not all methods will fit their area. If you have 1 acre and it is full of hogs and it is located in the city limits you might not be allowed to shoot your gun and running dogs would just be trespassing in 20 seconds so traps might be your only way. But if you have access to their nesting (breeding) area dogs are the best way to get rid of them.

I would not use baits and lures if your goal is to get rid of them. This will have the oppisite effect.

I do see farmers are starting to use wolf traps along their crops to catch hogs but it is the noise that they make as their legs are crushed that keeps the other hogs out. This might sound cruel but the farmers are doing everything that they can to save their crops. but it does bring up the question if you recorded these sounds and played them back would it keep the hogs out of a crop. So far the one feild that has had this playing every night has not been hit by hogs this year. Last uyear they hit it even with the noise. I do not know if it is from the noise or something else I guess a few more seasons of playing with noises will tell.

txbhunter1
07-01-2009, 08:13 AM
All Ican say to that Joe is they are nomadic. Ihave had properties ate up with them and after taking out a few of the lg'er ones and boss hogs, the rest have moved on, never to return.

aggiebowhunter
07-01-2009, 08:20 AM
There is no way to effectively control them. If they were controlable it would have already taken place by now.

Only true way to ever control them will be by mass sterilization or disease/die off. (remember hog cholera back in the 50's)

txbhunter1
07-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Agreed, they reproduce too fast to control. Total eradication would be one of the only methods of taking care of the problem, but look how that is going with CWD. Bush Park here in Houston is a good example of trying. Trappers had caught upwards of 400 hogs from there last yr and now the city of Houston wants to allow 4 bowhunters in there to do a better job. HA, HA, HA. If trappers could get only 400, how many do you think the hunters will get. The trappers claimed that they did not even dent the pop of hogsin there with trapping them.

aggiebowhunter
07-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Agreed, they reproduce too fast to control. Total eradication would be one of the only methods of taking care of the problem, but look how that is going with CWD. Bush Park here in Houston is a good example of trying. Trappers had caught upwards of 400 hogs from there last yr and now the city of Houston wants to allow 4 bowhunters in there to do a better job. HA, HA, HA. If trappers could get only 400, how many do you think the hunters will get. The trappers claimed that they did not even dent the pop of hogsin there with trapping them.

Exactly there is no way to accurately control them.

Best thing to do is pick out whichever form of entertainment you want to personally use make a dent in a few and go after them.

They are to smart and prolific to controlled by typical means of general hunting.

txbhunter1
07-01-2009, 08:48 AM
That's why we got Y'all Randy, forms of entertainment. You catch them, we kill them. http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/dance.gif

Hogdude1234
07-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Without hogs, I might be called Frogdude1234!!!!! LMAO!!!!!! http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/dance.gif

Shane Ladewig

aggiebowhunter
07-01-2009, 08:54 AM
That's why we got Y'all Randy, forms of entertainment. You catch them, we kill them. http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/dance.gif

And I appreciate your business. :)

txbhunter1
07-01-2009, 08:56 AM
If you got some of those air conditioned scent-lok suits, I'd come more often. LOL http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/biggrin.gif

aggiebowhunter
07-01-2009, 09:44 AM
I sat out with a young kid on sunday evening for 3 hours. I think I lost about a gallon of sweat.

nate
07-05-2009, 07:17 AM
I reckon it's like everything else...with too much pressure, animals get leary and cautious. If the hogs disappear, rest assured thay will be back.

Davidw
07-05-2009, 11:04 AM
i dont think that hunting hogs with dogs messes up the other wildlife on a place i had a lease in trent and even during deer season we run dogs and still seen deer the next day hunting in the stand but i still think dogs is the way to go because the pigs will get smart to the traps my traps have been sitting in my yard for 5 years since i got dogs and have better luck with dogs

txbhunter1
07-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Randy,

What better reason then to break out them suits? LOL http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/mrgreen.gif

2joe
07-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Iwork on a 14 and 14 schedule and hog hunt our place with dogs every time im home. The hogs will leave after we run the place with dogs for a few weeks which is just right for when im home again. Wehave put out traps with no luck. The ajoining place has put up hog wire to keep the hogs off of them.They have trapped most of the hogs off their place but there are still a few on there.They are trap smart now.

Hogdude1234
07-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Enough of this jibber jabber!!!!! LMAO!!!! I am headed out on a hog controlling mission. My buddy has 6000 acres north of Caddo, Tx....I got three big hog traps loaded up, my .308, .22-.250, my bow, pop-up, a bunch of ammo, and a cooler full of icy cold libations!!!!! Oh, and my vid cam!!!! The hogs out there are running the place and something has to be done...we got 3 full days to see how many pigs we can kill!!!! I will let ya'll know how we did when I get back on Sunday night!!!!!

Shane Ladewig

>>----------------------------->

txhogkiller
07-09-2009, 11:08 AM
good luck!!!.......

rusa7476
07-09-2009, 03:59 PM
hit'em low and stack'em high

HCHogHunter
10-23-2009, 02:29 PM
been trying for 10 YEARS on 1200 ac. HIGH FENCE, and cannot "Control" these porkers !!!

cabledad
10-24-2009, 01:10 AM
I went out yesterday to fix a cable problem (thats what I do cable tv Pottsboro,Tx).One of my customers owns 60 acres,I asked if he any hogs.Big problem we got on his golf cart and bumped around his pasture.The place was covered up with roots.He said the only relief he got was the hog dog guys from OK.That didn't last they came back.I could stand at the entrance to his pasture and see 3 other places that have $300000 homes on 60 acres each.All with a hog problem.I have been thinking it over hunting this place will be a pain because the houses are too close.I think each of these neighbors needs to install a permantent trap.Catch the hogs they can, eat what they want and chunk the rest.In Grayson county there is so much investor owned land,government land and gentlemen ranchers that don't think like we do.The hog population has gone up here like crazy and will keep going up. Grayson county has bow hunting only for deer. I might be able to go and kill a few hogs but my passage in and out is right by his house all the neighbors are my cable customers and I don't want to hack them off shooting around there house's and at night. Its a problem that we have but its all over the country and going to get worse. Just thinking. Chuck

riverhog
10-25-2009, 02:00 PM
talk to the land owners they will probably be willin to get rid of hogs, we hunted a golf course in soiuthern okla , surrounded by nice homes, the land owners were ready to get rid of the hogs. the golf course groundsman would call the landowners the nights we we be huntin, also we would contact local law enforcement, 2 officer came out and hunted with us

txbhunter1
10-26-2009, 02:04 AM
Iget calls from the local precincts weekly here. They are great. The landowner usually calls the law and wants them to take care of the hog problems. The law dogs call me. LOL No problem..........

ggonzales
04-19-2010, 06:57 AM
I think an effective method to help "control" the hog population would be to recruit and motivate our youth to get involved and educated about hog hunting and get them out there hunting, trapping, etc The more hunters you got out there whacking the pork, the better chance we have to bring those numbers down. I don't think eradication would be a good thing, me and too many others love to hog hunt too much to live with out having some nice size hogs leave Texas!!! I would actually like to see some more research and wildlife management done to control the hog population.

txbhunter1
04-19-2010, 12:12 PM
gg,

Didn't you say on one other post you would like for them to farm hogs with the Europian genetics? So why now, try and control them? Aint there some type of contradiction in that statement?

ggonzales
04-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Actually, I am for wildlife managment, which would involve control and conservation, where we hunt right now on two of our properties the hog numbers have declined the past couple of years, we still see pigs, but not in huge groups that are being destructive to the property. Now in regards to control, I feel that because we effectively hunt and trap hogs on the property and have brought in some new, enthusiastic hunters, we have been able to control the hog population somewhat. I guess my point is I strongly believe in conservation and wildlife management, even if that means the need to introduce or release European genetics, which by the way reproduce at a much slower rate then domestic feral pigs. I also feel that having enough young hunters to support hog hunting as a sport can significantly impact the economy and hog hunting as a whole.