PDA

View Full Version : Flop ear hogs-Wild or Tame?

Keechi
07-01-2009, 08:42 AM
How many of you have ever caught,trapped,shot or evenseen a true WILD hog with floppy ears?(by this I mean non erect)The first thing I look at when someone post up on the interneta HOGZILLA or MONSTERHOG picture is are the ears erect.If his eyes are covered by his ears he's not wild.

aggiebowhunter
07-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Ive never seen a true wild hog with floppy ears.

Erect ears are a dominant trait in hogs in general, so there is a marginal chance that a truely wild hog could have erect ears, this due to the punnets square theory, but it was it would not be very far from its domestic origin but be wild.

Even in domestic hogs there are fewer breeds with floppy than erect. Breed a duroc sow to a york boar and see how many floppy ears you get.

txbhunter1
07-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Very true Mike. Ihave never shot one with floppy ears. Have seen some on ranches that the owner/mgr CLAIMED were, but knew better. Floppy is a trait of a domestic hog. It goes hand in hand with the shape of the head and forehead.

aggiebowhunter
07-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Shape of the forhead and gap between the bottom teeth are for sure they keys that hold the answer.

dougepooo
07-01-2009, 02:28 PM
wild hogs also have straight tails as opposed to curly ones

Hogdude1234
07-02-2009, 02:27 AM
What about their hair? Doesn't a domestic pig have very short hair, if any at all? All of the wild pigs I have seen have longer coarse hair.

Shane Ladewig

>>---------------------------->

TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member