PDA

View Full Version : To Shoot or Not to Shoot

txbhunter1
07-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Hey Guys,

Iwould like to know from all of y'all how many of y'all would let a inferior or goodbuck towards the last of the season walk in the name of mgmt vs shooting him to fill your tags? How many of y'all say "I aint shooting nothing unless it's big" and then dump a smaller buck?Or veen better yet, how many of you on a paid hunt, would shoot whatever just to get your monies worth vs going home with an unfilled tag?

My feelings are unless it is a good shooter buck, let him walk if you are mgmt minded on your place and your neighbors as well or any other. Shoot a doe if you want some meat, cause there still aint no recipe for horns and no matter how long you boil them, they still taste awful. Public land now has diff circumstances. If you come across a descent buck, not really what you wanted, but one of the only ones you have seen, Iwould take him due to the fact that he isON public land orthe next guy for sure will. These may sound like conflicting statements but on my place, Ilike to see the deer grow a bit before harvesting them, whereas on public land they may never get a chance to with all of the guys out there. The 2 scenario's are comletely diff. and I think about them in diff ways.

Just my opinion mind you.

chouse
07-03-2009, 03:35 PM
I agree with you, on private i let him walk but on public land im gonna wack him

Hogdude1234
07-03-2009, 04:36 PM
On the property I manage, let him walk. On public land, I might stick an arrow in his heart for the meat. I do not feel it is the best thing to do, but damn that venison is tasty!!!!! And Keechi has more likely been on my ass for another vid!!!!!! LMAO!!!!

Shane Ladewig

>>------------------------------>

TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

BustedAssRanch
07-04-2009, 03:10 AM
I guess I am at a disadvantage I have not been to an outfitter for a deer hunt, nor have I hunted public land for a deer hunt. Our place in Del Rio is 5 years or older for trophy, 3 years or older for cull. Does are 2 or older. Even before we had written rules we let all young deer walk. A lot of the people on the lease are trophy hunters & will not take anything less than 10 points or better & 5 years or older.

rusa7476
07-04-2009, 12:30 PM
i would take the doe for meat and let the small buck walk...

and on public let him walk.....

papaphil
07-04-2009, 05:39 PM
would let him walk

txbhunter1
07-05-2009, 12:27 AM
On my place they will all walk unless it is4 or better and big. My wife on the other hand, Iwould let her take what she wanted as it would be her first deer. This one here would see another yr.

http://texashoghunter.com/oldatt/DSC_0069.JPG

USHogOutfitters
07-06-2009, 12:07 PM
I hunt for meat so you know my answer. If it looks tasty I am going to drop it. If it doesnt look tasty I will pass

Gonehuntin68
07-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I think this all depends on where you hunt. If you don't shoot anything under 4.5 years old and you neighbors shoot everything, you might be waiting a long time to get a shot at a mature buck. This will be my third season on the same property and I have not shot a buck yet as I'm trying to let the deer get some age. I have shot plenty of bucks over the years so it does not bother me much and does are great eating. I hoping to get a crack at a mature buck this year as I'm starting to get a bit of a itchy trigger finger.

txbhunter1
07-06-2009, 03:27 PM
You aint the only one bro. That Blackbuck 2 weeks ago just fueled the fire to get out there and stick something. LOL

Jason
08-13-2009, 03:44 AM
If it walks in front of me its going in the freezer, young or old buck or doe.

CODY
08-13-2009, 08:02 AM
We all hunt for fun, right. If you have a good time just shotting the first buck that walks out so be it. You had a good time and that's all that matters. But if you don't mind waiting for a good buck even if that means not shotting a buck for a year or two that's fine too as long as that's fun for you. Great thing about trail cams is you know some of what you have running around and that lets you know whatthe potential of your hunting area is, somewhat. With that infoI knowwhat to hold out for. But, just cause he's around doesn't mean you'll kill or even see him. With this being said, I hold out for a bigger buck as long as I can but I will take a smaller buck towords the end of the season if it comes down to that. With my small budget I just can't justify all the corn, buying new gear, gas, pre season prep and all my time in the stand to have a buckless season.I just can't do it, I just can't afford to. Plus, I seem to hunt a different property every year or two anyways. Things might be different if I owned my own property to hunt or had a lease I hunted every year. And I can't afford to do either of those. So untill I own my own place or have a lease Iknow I can hunt awhile I'll always shotthe best buck I can get.

Cuz
08-13-2009, 12:52 PM
I let em walk. Let 10 different ones walk last year alone and that's on a 100+ acre low fence place. I hunt for fun and for the hunt first and meat second.

fivepointohno
08-13-2009, 02:34 PM
some of us have seen you in action Jason lol but for me, if it walking my bellys talking

Jason
08-19-2009, 04:30 AM
Ienjoy every thing to do with the hunt from the scouting to the preping of the stands and such, But I love the fact that if it walks in front of me and i can eat it. with a little luck it will be on my plate before the night is over http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/dance.gif

ggonzales
02-22-2010, 08:08 AM
I am strong believer in conservation, so I would have to say that I am always thinking about the future since I have two young boys that will eventually hunt. I hunt on several different ranches that have different rules, on Rancho Sueno Mio we only harvest one mature buck per hunter every year and spikes, and never shoot does with fawns or shoot does period until doe season. But, at La Mota ranch it seems that conservation has never existed and it use to be shoot anything on site, but these last two years I have gotten more involved in bringing in conservation minded thinking to the lease members and it has benifitted the wildlife tremendously in the short term, especially with the hog population!!! But, becuase of hunting pressure from neighboring ranches the deer hunting is still hurting!!!

Deepfriedking
03-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Shoot em young and thats all you will ever have, I'd let em walk, public or private. Mgmt works thats why I think the antler restrictions are fantastic. I've seen that system work wonders on my friends place, took a few years to age the bucks but he has em now as before you were lucky to find a fork horned yearling. Low fence