PDA

View Full Version : A hunt to remember

USHogOutfitters
07-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Jason his wife my son and I went on an early hunt today.Well it started out good we got on 3 boars but nothing stopped. We watched on the garmen that the dogs had ran about 2 miles per chase. The dogs were working great had tons on energy and were still wanting to go. So we did. Hit the river bottom about 7 am and 10 seconds out of the truck the chase was on again. Only went a few hundred yards and they lost em again. We had Boss Hog, Scar, Goose and Blueand thecatch dogs were Greengo and Esue. Iknew what we were missing it is Lumpy. He had to stay home cause hes got surgery on Monday morning. Well we were walking through the river beds and saw tons of sign. Large tracks small tracks hundreds of fresh tracks. So I knew what was about to happen, just not quite how it was going to happen. It rainedlast night and these tracks were less than an hour old. We got out of the river bed and no more than 30 yards it went down. Normally Lumpy and Piggy hold the large groups of hogs but they were at homeand all these dogs are young.The hogs are going everywhere and it seemed that the dogs didnt know what to do. I am telling you that they had so many hogs running around that they just couldnt focus. So Jason ran into this bush and started barking at this nice sow. Greengo was already looking at the hog but since Esue had gone after another hog she was gone. Remember Greengois a true mommas boy. Well I was thinking that this is going to be funny but to my suprize this big ole sow just looked at Jason for at least a couple of minutes as he ran around barking at her. The sow finally broke. I counted at least 5 big hogs and so many little ones that I lost count. I saw this snow white hog about 35 pounds or so that I just wanted it was a cool color pattern. Snow white and a bushy coat. As soon as I get close every dog seemed to have a bay going on. We get to this little boar and saved hi m from Esue and Greengo. The boar was maybe 50 pounds. So we didnt get skunked, and had a blast. and I will never forget Jason baying up a hog. He has a few pictures but I didnt get any. Oh its not over yet Jason and I left the dogs at the gate to the bottom and walked back a mile to get the truck. We were 700 yards from the truck when hogs started to cross right in front of us. There were 5 of them about 150 pounds each and all we could do is watch as they walked right in front of us along the road. Its kinda funny that with only one little boar caughtthat we had such a good time that I will never forget and I really enjoyed watching the youngons work.

I did see many does today and 3 fawns running around. the deer crop looks good this year lots of little ones.

Hogdude1234
07-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Awesome story Joe!!! Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a great hunt!!!

Here is a little quote I like to use for hunts such as this...

"A hunt is not about the size of the trophy, it's about the adventures in the field"

-author unknown

Shane Ladewig

>>-------------------------->

TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

alejandroradzi
07-19-2009, 01:44 AM
Nice story Joe.....

txbhunter1
07-19-2009, 04:21 AM
That is hilarious Joe. Did the boys get any video? Igot to see that for myself. LMAO!!!!!!!!! Sounds like the hogs are back in force by you again. Ihear Jason's wife got her first one also with the dogs. Good job Letticia.........You should have sent Jason after them big ones when they crossed in front of you. LMAO!!!

Jason
07-19-2009, 05:20 AM
Yep going to enter myself into a bay competition im still laughing my as of thinking about that if we would had gotten it on video we all would be rolling on the ground laughing. woof woof woof.

txbhunter1
07-19-2009, 05:26 AM
Until you got charged, then tail between and run like hell. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason
07-19-2009, 05:42 AM
id would have to chickin out on the big one. id be praying esue would be there to help lmao

USHogOutfitters
07-19-2009, 06:18 AM
It was a funny sight to watch. I will never forget. The groups of hogs are back in full force. The last few hunts I have found 10+ hogs in several groups plus the normal satalites. It is because of the corn and milo feilds that I had been working on. Since I dont have time to hunt the river bottom during the spring or early summer the hogs just fill the place up. It makes for some fun hunting when you get on groups of hogs.

USHogOutfitters
07-19-2009, 06:28 AM
I tell ya another not so funny story that happened to me on Thursday. I had a friend come over to help ivomec and deworm all of the dogs. Its a big chore every month with 40+ dogs. Well mommas finally got out of the hot box and put her on her runner. She broke the clasp and ran off. No big deal I thought she has ran around many times before and always comes back. For those that have been to my place you know I keep a few giant boars to train with. 9 of them at 300 plus pounds each. Well I came outside after lunch to hearing grunting and squealing and I knew what happened. Mommas is a small pitbull that can fit through a hog pannel. She had gotton into the pen with the boars. I didnt have any time to call for help so I went into the pen with these critters and every time I could finally get one of the boars flipped she let go and caught another. This happened over and over until finaly she got tired and I seperated her and the boar she was on into the shoots. The whole time big nasty kept me paying atention as he would get close looking like he was going to charge and he would back off as mommas would get inbetween us. I was so muddy and cut to hell and back but I did finally get her out of there and had to stich her back up she had no vest or any protection. I am now putting smaller holed fence around all of the pens to keep this from happening ever again. It took me 3 hours to finally get her out.

txbhunter1
07-19-2009, 07:50 AM
Big nasty left you alone too huh?

Jason
07-19-2009, 09:13 AM
ill bay them mama can catch lmao. Bad thing was wish i had gotten there sooner to help with that it would had been energetic for sure.

USHogOutfitters
07-19-2009, 09:17 AM
It wasnt fun at all. Well he came at me twice and mommas left the boar she was on to go at him that was the only thing keeping him back. It is not something I want to ever do again. I am just glad it is done and I learned a good lesson.

Yea I wish mommas was there while you where baying. Would have been a caught hog

rusa7476
07-20-2009, 10:01 AM
well joe looks like you got one more bay dog..... lmao.... hope you post the vid it sound like a must see!!!

USHogOutfitters
07-20-2009, 10:12 AM
and the cool thing is I dont have to feed him...LOL

txbhunter1
07-20-2009, 11:10 AM
or even train him since he picked it up so fast from the other dogs. http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/biggrin.gif

USHogOutfitters
07-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Yea he picked it up quick but we will have to work on eye contact with the hog he kept looking for Esue.

Jason
07-20-2009, 03:36 PM
had to look for her cause greengo decided to leave me and i wasnt about to try to bite her ear lol. i wish we did get it on video it would had been funny as all get up to see it lol. but i do like my hog cooked before i eat it and after watching Joes dogs work any one can learn to bay em lmao