PDA

View Full Version : don't let your scent run off your hogs.

hawaiihoghunter
07-29-2009, 07:19 PM
I have been doing this for years, and my dad has been doing this years before i was even a thought, and my grandpa has been... well you get the picture.

Anyways there is a way for you to go unsmelt as you walk to a blind or feeder. No im not talking about scent eliminator, or any products you buy in the stores to mask your smell.

Try this: after a good hard day of working out on the job(for those of you who work in AC office and dont sweat go run a mile or so LMAO!!!) take your stink sweaty T-Shirt and hang it where you hunt, by the feederor source of wateris best.after awhile you might have to restink the T-shirt or replaceit but after awhilethe animals getuse to your smell and if you place it by your feeders they actually follow the scentknowing theres going to be food. So YourStink= Food.Now with the animals not being alarmed becauseyour smell, when you go to hunt you have one more thing in yourfavor.

So go out and try it. Let me know how it turns out for you.

It worksfor meI dont see why it wouln't work for you.

Happy Hunting..

Gonehuntin68
08-01-2009, 03:28 AM
This sounds like a good Idea but I wont be trying it because I believe that while animals will get used to it, your mature animals that are cruising through the property for the first time will avoid the area and may never return to get used to the smell. I'm not knocking your Idea but sometimes as hunters we have to agree to disagree and go our own way and then at the end of the day we can come back to the campfire and have a cold drink and share good times. Thanks for sharing your Idea and good luck hunting.

Hogdude1234
08-01-2009, 07:19 AM
I agree with you Gonehuntin68. I know a guy who tried something similar to this...every time he would go out to check his feeders, he would take a leak right under them. I am not going to say that the hogs minded too much, but I think his pics of deer went from a bunch to hardly any. He moved his feeder over 100 yards, quit peeing on the corn, and the deer and bigger pigs returned almost instantly!!!

Shane Ladewig

>>--------------------------------->

TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

hawaiihoghunter
08-01-2009, 07:52 PM
well both of those are great points... I never thought of it from that point of view. well I guess since I've been doing this for so long that the mature animals of today in my area was not even born when i started the whole thing. thanks guys for your input.

SirVival
11-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Here is another trick I did one time that payed off with a kill shot on a hog.

For 4 night hunts, I had a pig that was approaching from downwind of me, who after he smelt me, would then backtrack 50 yards and cross behind my blind. He would always bust me and never go into the sendero I had cut. So, time to get creative...

On the 5th hunt, I took all my camo clothes which I usually wore and put tuem up in stand, then backtracked out myself to await him crossing in the field behind the stand as usual. It actually paid off.

I'm sure he did the usuall smell thing, figured I was in the stand, and backtracked right into am ambush....

Sometimes you just have to be smarter than the pig I guess!

Funny thing is, I was so excited I drove off and left my hunting clothes in the stand. Didn't relize until a week later I had no camo. DOH!!!

squirt
11-09-2009, 01:55 PM
wonder if this works for hunters that smoke, or drinks whiskey.....Hell, or both... Can I blow smoke on my clothes and leave a shirt out for a frew days then go perch up in my ladder stand?

HCHogHunter
11-15-2009, 04:00 AM
+1 gonehuntin68, for the mature hogs i say no way! I got busted by a mature sow w/ piglets in a blind about 2 mo. ago, the pigletts returned in a few hours, have not seen the mature sow since then! will she show again? We'll see!!! when i go to rebait a hole, i don't even spit on the ground!!!!