PDA

View Full Version : OKAY CAN YOU RETRAIN A HOG DOG...

hawaiihoghunter
07-29-2009, 08:03 PM
So the question how do you stop a dog from running up anything(cattle, sheep, goats, deer, etc..) but hogs?

Is it possible or is it a lost cause?

Any of you have experience with this?

USHogOutfitters
07-30-2009, 10:44 AM
pretty easy as long as you have a place and the time to train the dog.

First you need basic control over the dog. He needs to come to you when you call him. This takes time to teach, but it is a must if you want a little control over the dog.

Next get a shock coller and every time the dog even thinks about another animal other than what you are wanting him to hunt let him have it. Start the settings on low and work up until you get the responce you are looking for.

example: When I was trash breaking Goose for the first time he ran after a horse (my horse). I had the shock coller on him and killed the batteries before it was done. The next round I walked him by the horse and he went crazy again but this time I had all 3 collers on him and after one died I started using the next coller and so on. It took 4 minutes of lighting him up to get him off of the horse and he has never gone after anything other than a hog since.

I have used this method with success many times and it might sound cruel but it isnt half as bad as what a farmer would do to the dog if he saw a dog chasing his horse.

Repeat this method until the dog doesnt want any other animal than what you are hunting.

This takes time do not expect to fix this over night but it is correctable.

another option is to have someone else trash break them for you

hogdogger
07-30-2009, 10:47 AM
when i start pups, i use a shocking collar. i take them around the cattle, horses, deer, etc. and just tell them no, if they make a move to go get them i shock them. most will learn to leave those animals alone. so dogs learn quicker than others, but that has worked best for me.

hawaiihoghunter
07-30-2009, 06:45 PM
I''ll try that... i never thought about the use of shock collars. i'll try it out and keep you all posted. thanks for the response. keep the ideas coming I need all the help i can get...