PDA

View Full Version : When should a dog be started on hogs?

hawaiihoghunter
08-15-2009, 11:58 PM
Wondering what age is too young to start a dog on hogs. Ive been toldby somethey have them on as early as 3months or so on piglets. but all my lifethe people around me wouldwait totake a dog huntinguntil they were asleast9months or so... So what do you folks do and why?

riverhog
08-16-2009, 04:41 AM
start them early, in a bay pin if one is handy, we usually try to keep some small pigs around to start pups on, take them with old dogs as much as possible,they pick up quick on the old dogs. i also keep some pigs ears when i have pups, i tie them onto a fishin rod and have the pups chase the ear, its a game for them but it gets them started on trailin scent

hogdogger
08-16-2009, 10:07 AM
i like to start a pup in a pen around 3-4 months old. if they work good and show promise, i will start taking them in the woods around 6-8 months old. if they do good in the woods i keep hunting them with the big dogs if not they go back to the pen for more work.

for scent trailing, i will drag a dead carcass around our pasture and where i stop, i will hobble a small live hog. it teaches the pup there is a prize ar the end of the smell.

USHogOutfitters
08-16-2009, 12:56 PM
I start traing as soon as they are born. Just being around your smell in the early stages will help the dog bond to you even more. Most of my dogs I have a very good handle on them before they will ever set foot into the woods. As far as when they see their first hog. I start them at weaning by putting them into a see through kennel and wave a small piglet infront of the door. If no responce I then place an older started pup that knows what hes doing to join in the kennel. It doesnt take very long for the pup to understand what I am wanting from it. Depending on the dog I will normally start hunting them in the woods at about 16 to 18 months old. Dont get me wrong I start their woods training in 10 and 100 acre pens at about 8 to 10 months old, this does seem to be more controled than in the open.

This also depends on the dog. Some dogs learn much faster than others and some a little slower. It really depends on what you are wanting and doing with the dog.

I dont like going hunting and having puppies playing with each other and fighting instead of hunting so 18 months old is about right.

bigisland1hoghunter
08-16-2009, 04:20 PM
well all my family hunt with dogs and there are well known for there good bloodline they wait till they get about a year when the mature so when they get hit from the pig they dont punk out and be scared so if i was you i would wait till a year then try hope info helps you out