PDA

View Full Version : SCENT DRAG TRAINNING???

hawaiihoghunter
08-16-2009, 12:14 AM
I normally start my dogs on a scent drag early on as soon as they can eat a dog treat. I would get a trapped hog spray it down with some water and throw in a rag with a rope tied to it. and leave it for a while then spray it down once more pull the rag out and put it in a bucket and use it for a scent drag later. to train the dog i take the scent drag and trail it for about 10yds and put a treat at the end. As the dog starts to catch on that the scent leads to a treat i can make the drag trail longer and longer. After the dog gets pretty good at following the trail. I make the scent drag one day then wait until the next day to put the dog on it.

afterdoing this with about 10 dogs only about 6 of them became great trackers the other4 are okay but seem to be more of a back-up then a lead.

it seems to work for me but have any of you done this or do you all think im wasting my time?

riverhog
08-16-2009, 04:44 AM
it"ll work, do something similar,always a good way to start pups.

USHogOutfitters
08-16-2009, 01:02 PM
I use hotdogs cut up into very small pieces. Through it front of them a few feet until they know what you are wanting then start throwing it further and further away. I do this several times a week with my pups. It doesnt take very long until you know which dogs are better trackers than others. When they get about 3 months old just play keep away with a hotdog on a string and fishing pole. When they get about 6 to 8 months I use hog drags to get them ready for the woods.