PDA

View Full Version : hogs are missing

riverhog
08-21-2009, 07:57 AM
haven't caught a hog in 2 weeks, very little sign, it looks like they have moved off the ranches, this is the firs time in 4 years that this has happened. is this common for the pigs to just move out ? talked to other trappers and they say they are having the same luck, still finding some along the river with dogs, mainly small boars

txbhunter1
08-21-2009, 08:57 AM
They are nomadic. Ihave had hell with them for a few months and then gone for a yr or better. Then they just show back up again. With it being so dry, Iwould say the best place to find them now is by the rivers.

riverhog
08-22-2009, 12:46 AM
never been this slow here, found out last night state had been shootin hogs from heli-copter on the ranch south of us, this might be our problem

Hogdude1234
08-23-2009, 02:17 AM
I usually notice the hogs coming around less frequently the closer it gets to deer season. Hunters have decided it is time to fill feeders and get them running again. Hogs find these feeders and decide they are the perfect place to feed because there is no hunting/trapping pressure around. Just my 2 cents I have earned from experience!!!!

__________________________________________________ ______________

Shane Ladewig

>>------------------------------------>

TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

txbhunter1
08-23-2009, 02:56 AM
Gotta agree with Shane also on his point. The more the deer hunters get out and get stands and feeders ready, the less you see the hogs. Too much activity in the deer woods for hogs to show during daylight hrs and they will then move onto less active properties.

riverhog
08-23-2009, 04:28 PM
another dry run today. nothin in traps no new sign, i didn't think about it gettin so close to deer season. found out that the ranch across the river has leased out to an oil company for deer season, heard that they had put out feeders and mineral troughs, guess my hogs have went west

Hogdude1234
08-24-2009, 06:45 AM
And those guys more than likely aren't visiting those areas as often as you do your property. Like Gary said, "Too much activity in the deer woods for hogs to show during daylight hrs and they will then move onto less active properties." Especially less active properties with corn on the ground daily.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Shane Ladewig

>>--------------------------->

TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

riverhog
08-27-2009, 03:55 AM
hogs moved up the river about 5 miles, farmer called last night about hogs in hayfield, described couple of sows that i had caught and released , they had tore up his hay field so bad he couildn't cut but about 3/4 of it, will post pics later.

txbhunter1
08-27-2009, 01:13 PM
SOunds like it is time to go and talk to the farmer and take care of some of his problems bud.http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/biggrin.gif

riverhog
08-27-2009, 03:23 PM
just got back from visiting with the farmer and his wife,his wife said no to traps and dogs, they are going to let me hunt, daylight hours only, no feeders, no driving on the hayfields and cannot field dress hogs on their property. small price for hogs

dougepooo
08-27-2009, 03:49 PM
with all those rules I'd tell him good luck and call me if you change your mind.How are you supposed to make a difference without feeders or hunting after dark without dogs too? If the problem gets bad enough he'll beg you to come and get em any way you can,

txbhunter1
08-28-2009, 01:21 AM
Sounds like he kind of tied your hands to help him out with his hog problem. Like Doug said, tell him "good luck". He'll call you begging soon enough.

riverhog
08-28-2009, 04:05 AM
it's mainly his wife she don't really want to hurt the hogs! they are new to our area and i don't think they know how serious a problem they have yet.

USHogOutfitters
08-28-2009, 08:51 AM
How much is the farmer paying you to get rid of the hogs?

I am having th opposite problem. I have had to pull 3 of my traps cause I do not have any more room for hogs. I caught 17 yesterday and 12 this morning. For the last few weeks the traps are full every night. About half of them are right under 100 pounds but the other half have been nice size sows No boars in the traps but thats ok. So if anyone wants some pork you are welcome to come and shoot 1. I let them go in my fenced area and I am running out of room plus I can not afford to feed them at the moment.

chad
08-28-2009, 09:11 AM
ALL OF OUR HOGS HAVE MOVED INTO THE SWAMPS & RIVER BOTTOMS. OUR HOT SPOTS TURNED INTO NOT SPOTS!!!!

riverhog
08-28-2009, 10:39 AM
I do it all for free, give away 90 percent of the meat, i skin and butcher then take to whom ever needs it.

txbhunter1
08-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Dam Joe, had I'd of known you had that many, Isurely would have come and got some to take up bear hunting. Not enough time now to do it.

CODY
08-29-2009, 01:11 PM
The place I do most of my hog huning gets good every year starting in March and stays hot untill June then it just slides more towards ok to nothing by about now. Not saying they disappearbut not thick like they are in the spring.And it has one feeder just 200 yards from the bank of the year round river in a wheat feild. Them hogs are just weird like that.