PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Boots and bow hunting?

Cuz
08-26-2009, 04:28 PM
I am not big on the whole $200 "scent proof" thing as I believe if a mature deer gets down wind no clothing is going to stop it from winding you. BUT I have had deer/hogs cross the path I walked in to my blind and stop and make a U-Turn after smelling my pathway...

So I'm thinking of trying the rubber boot thing to prevent this. Can any of you attest to this theory working for you?

Are there any tricks to using this technique or just leave the boots in the bed of the truck and put them on before you start your hike to the blind?

Thanks

dougepooo
08-26-2009, 11:57 PM
i dont think it will make much difference.it cant hurt, but i dont think it really helps either.Deer have much better noses than dogs, do you think tracking dogs cant follow you if you have on rubber boots?

txbhunter1
08-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Ihave used rubber boots for more yrs than Ican remember. Some of the tricks are to wash them in boiling water and use scent free soap to do so. When you are done and plan on using them only for hunting, then store them just as you would any other scent eliminating clothing. In an airtight bags or box. True rubber boots have no smell to them. We used to do the same thing with traps, boil them and hang them outside.

riverhog
08-27-2009, 03:45 AM
i spray my boots down with scen-a-way, when i first get then i soak them in a mixture of water and scent-a-way body soap for a day then keep them in a plastic bag until i get ready to hunt

CODY
08-27-2009, 05:37 AM
I wear the zip-up Pinnacle boots with scent-lok from cabelas. I only wear my boots in the feild during bow season. They go on when I get dressed for the hunt and then put back into my airtight tot after every hunt. Wearing them anywhere other than in the woods is not a good idea. The truck floor mats are full of oders, as well as the carpet in a house or cabin.

catchdig
09-01-2009, 04:52 AM
i have watched dogs track there masters right back to the truck and those guys only wore there boots in the woods.and they only wore rubber knee high boots kept them in a pine wood box with all there coveralls and sent pads.. i just use alot of scent killer spray and where what is right for the weather.

dougepooo
09-01-2009, 09:24 AM
I don't doubt that there may be no scent coming off of rubber boots, I just think there is enough scent coming off your body that your choice of boot doesn't make any difference.

Gonehuntin68
09-02-2009, 11:17 AM
I think rubber boots make a difference, I have noticed pigs and deer bust me coming across my scent trail in normal hunting boots sprayed with scent killer but have yet to see a deer or pig bust me when I wore rubber boots. Even if you walk on air you will still leave a scent trail but it will not last as long as when you leave it attached to the ground, especially when there is moisture on the ground. I don't know what the real answer is but I do know that you should use what you have confidence in and I have confidence in my rubber boots.

catchdig
09-02-2009, 02:35 PM
good reply 68 , confidence is huge