PDA

View Full Version : Finally success dove hunting this year! (kinda)

Cuz
09-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Well today I went on my third dove hunt. I tried my usual spot opening day but was ran off by a GW because that spot is now in the city limits. Then I went twice to my uncles little 5 acre farm. NOTHING saw 4 dove total in these three trips. WELL, today that all changed. I came to our ranch and me and my wife went to a fence line where I thought the dove might fly. About 15 minutes after we arrived I got this... Sorry for the blurry cell phone pic.

I noticed a group of four smaller hogs rooting around on the edge of a stock tank. I took out my only "heavy power" from deep in my dove hunting vest. 1 slug and 1 buck shot round. I laid down my vest because all them shells rattling around in it, put the slug in first position and began my stalk with my wife following close behind. At about 75 yards from the sounder she stopped to watch the action from there. I eased slowly towards them; 60, 50, 40 up to about 30 yards, using the cattail on the pond's edge to help hide my movement and the soft dirt on the bank of the pond to silence my steps. So once I was within 30 yards I felt pretty comfortable making a open sighted slug shot. I aimed for the neck thinking left or right either way would still be a fatal shot with a slug. KABOOM! He dropped like a sack of rocks! The slug caught him right across the top of the head and that was the end of it. Well almost. Looked back at the mule we rode in on and realized I had to carry him about 600 yards. The wife carried the guns and I shouldered the hog back to the mule.

Good times!

Oh and I did get my first dove for the season today too. As we were looking at the downed hog a dove flew by and I busted him out of the sky with my 1 remaining shell. Remember that 1 buck shot round I had in my gun? lol

http://texashoghunter.com/oldatt/dove hog.jpg

riverhog
09-05-2009, 02:47 AM
sounds like a good hunt, doves aren't flyin very good in okla either

Gonehuntin68
09-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Congrats, he will eat better then a limit of doves.

txsteele
10-23-2009, 04:07 AM
Perfect eating size!