PDA

View Full Version : hogs moving

riverhog
10-11-2009, 03:29 AM
do hogs migrate? it's been real slow last couple of months in my area, but i have recently received several phone calls from ranchers 20-30 miles morth of us on hog problems. the area they are from isn't known for hogs. will hogs travel or relocate that far ? have set a round trap and several box traps, will run dogs as soon as ir quits rainin

txhogkiller
10-11-2009, 06:14 AM
i have the same problem... during the summer the hogs are horrible in my area.. but in the winter they just disappear

USHogJoey
10-11-2009, 06:20 AM
hogs are moving consently. if you see a hog next time you see him it would probably be miles away.

CODY
10-11-2009, 07:52 AM
hogs have no home range, not saying that they will not stay in the same area for awhile but unlike deer hogs are pushed out of areas easily by things like hunting preasure, avalable food and water, mating rights, etc.......... One of my favorite hog hunting properties has very few hogs in the winter months but in the spring it's loaded every year, lately. I think that they could relocate even farther than 30 miles if that's what it took for them to survie.

USHogOutfitters
10-11-2009, 09:29 AM
hogs were everywhere on our ranch this weekend we even caught a couple of them. The sign was everywhere. I have beeen waiting 2 years on this drought to get done. 17 inches in 3 weeks

Cuz
10-11-2009, 05:05 PM
They constantly move in search of new ground to root and feed in. If they come through your area and the hogs have already torn up the ground they will move on. Only staying if there is fresh ground to work. That's my experience at my place anyway.

riverhog
10-12-2009, 03:09 AM
thanks for the infornmation, we caught 4 pigs all about 40 pounds in the round trap this mornin,but they tore up the rye grass field, rancher is going to let us run dogs tonight

riverhog
10-14-2009, 02:54 AM
caught a little boar about 100 pounds in a box trap this mornin, pigs are comin into the field around 3;00 on the mornin, rain is hamperin me gettin in and out of the fields