PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here from the San Antonio area and an Apology

SouthTexasPighunter
11-02-2009, 03:19 AM
Are there any folks on here from the San Antonio area. I live in Pleasanton and am always lookin for new folks to meet up with and talk hog huntn or even get together with and shoot bows, as long as yall can stand me missin the target some.LOL

STP

dougepooo
11-02-2009, 06:44 AM
hook up with gary. I shoot pretty bad too but he makes me look like a champ!

Jimmie
11-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Helotes area..

txbhunter1
11-04-2009, 05:53 AM
Thanks Doug for that vote of confidence in my shooting abilities. I'll remember that the next time you intentionally want me to shoot an animal in the liver, so your dogs have something to do. Oh, Idid that once and...............LOL http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/mrgreen.gif

HCHogHunter
11-20-2009, 02:31 PM
i'll talk piggin' anytime!

ggonzales
12-01-2009, 01:05 AM
I live and work in San Antonio but originally from a small cotton picking town just west of Corpus Christi called "Odem" TX, where there are plenty of wild boars. There was a famous ranch on the Nueces River Delta that use to import and release wild boar for paid hog hunts, now those critters run wild all over the area!!!

bscooten1974
12-01-2009, 02:33 AM
I'm from Bastrop, tx approx 30 miles south of austin S.A. is only about an hour from me. I try to get on pigs anytime i can

texashawgtrapper
12-06-2009, 08:31 PM
hey south texas pig hunter i am from san antonio but i am only really getting started a late start at that but as far as hunting and trapping i ampretty much learning from trial and error its pretty frustrating @ times but its funny so all im tryin to do is balance work hunting and family life but hey good luck hit me up

http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/thumleft.gifhttp://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/thumleft.gif

Chizzad
12-07-2009, 04:55 AM
I live in San Antonio. I do all my hog hunting there in Charlotte! Where abouts do you hunt?

SouthTexasPighunter
12-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Hey fellas thanks for all the replys I live in Pleasanton and am originally from Charlotte . I grew up there and my family is still there and I hunt in the Charlotte area along with Frio Atascosa and Duval(Freer) counties. Basically anywhere I am invited, pay or arrange to hunt with the dogs for farmers. I mostly bow and dog hunt with a little gun hunting about once or twice a year. I host a hog hunt in Freer once every year in the spring for hogs, Javis, predators and small game and am always lookin for new folks to come and have a good time. I also try and take my soon to be 8 year old son to tradional bow shoots throught the year. I am also trying to start a group with two other fellas that are in the hunting industry to try and get our injured vets back out into the outdoors to hunt fish and enjoy what God and The Lord Jesus Christ gave to us. Now dont get me wrong I am no bible thumper because I have my vices like a nice cigar and a glass of single malt scotch, but if a body would like to hear the word then by all means it can be arranged. What our goal is to get our vets back out into the wild and help them see that someone still cares that they are still able to get out and do some of the things they did before or never have and to possibly help start healing that spirit that has been hurt damaged or broken. If anyone would like to help please feel free to contact me, and even if you dont and simply want to talk hogs hunting or anything outdoors please give me a shout. Below is an 08 picture of a disabled Vets first hog hunt ever.

STP

http://texashoghunter.com/oldatt/Peter Johns hunt 005.jpg

ggonzales
01-08-2010, 03:46 AM
We just started hunting near Charlotte off hwy 173 between Devine and Jourdanton on the Atascosa river, looks like there are plenty of hogs over there, just have not put my time in the blind yet!!!

redog
01-21-2010, 12:50 AM
Hey redog here from Adkins Tx. ......I hunt hogs with blind and feeder down in Smiley Tx. but now the place has turn back into a deer lease so im looking for a little place to hunt with my 70yo dad and 27yo son....Im a new comer here and love it already......

SouthTexasPighunter
04-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Hey everyone I am, sorry I have let this post fall to the way side but alot of things with my family have arisen since when I first poested this Topic and I feel I owe yall an explanation. Ya see back in January my Grandpa Shorty went back to the doctor for his yearly checkup because he had had cancer in his stomach and it had been in remission for five years, well Januarys check up wasnt good the cancer was back and was growing at a fast rate. So the docotrs go thru the normal stuff rule out chemo he's too weak, radiation, not in a million years it would kill him faster than the cancer. By now its late February and many more visits to the E.R. with us thinking it was going to be his last with every visit but to Hardy old fart keeps fightn, anyway its down to one last option that there may be one drug that could be used to treat the cancer. We wait about a week then I had to call my mom and she tells me that there is nothin else that can be done and that they are turning him over to Hospice in home care. By now the cancer is in his liver and other areas of his body and he is dwindling, he looks ghostly and is asking his last wishes which we all see to, especially mom who was always there. I took my children there to see their "WELLO" all along but even more in the end not because I felt a need to but because it was his wish and it was theirs as well. I just didn't want them to be scared of him as so many children get. The last week was a very hard one for him he had a little more pain and his breathing was more laborious and he was afraid to let go he didnt want there to be worries after he was gone. Can yall figure that 87 years old in the face of death and he still worried about his family first. We prayed for him and he seemed to relax. The last time I saw him alive was on Wednesday afternoon February 17th the 18th I had a docotrs appointment and I made an excuse to see him early Friday morning before I went to meet some friends in San Antonio that I was going to host on a hunt. Well at 0300 am I recieved a phone call from mom telling me that Grandpa Shorty was gone. I was beside myself I couldnt breath, talk, cry, think. Nothing, she asked if I was O.K. and a simple yes ma'am was all could get out. Then she surprised me when she said when are you going to pick up your friends. My friends are you serious(Im thinking this I would never disrespect momma or any other elder like that) but she went on and said that I had given my word and that everything would be taken care of already and that the rosary and funeral wouldnt take place until late Sunday and Monday morning. She also went on to state that I had given my word, something that grandpa had Always stood by, a mans word was iron clad to him and that he knew of the plans I had already had in motion and so did my grandmother and that I had had both of their blessings. So on February 22nd 2010 I esorted to his resting place and lade to rest the man whom for my whole life I had known to be my Grandpa Shorty or POPO and in realization afterwards knew that the man in the ground was the man who raised me ever since I was a baby and my real father stepped out of my life was my DAD.

Grandpa Shorty was my first huntn buddy we deer hunted rabbit hunted and most of all we HOG HUNTED together whenever we could. He was never to busy to not go hog huntn with me and let me tell you we stacked em up and we loved it. Wherever he's at I am sure he will say parayers for us all to keep on with the tradtion we have learned and grown to love. R.I.P. Grandpa Shorty. Desiderio Gallegos Sr. born Feb.11th 1923 died Feb. 19th 2010

To all of you who have prayed for me and my family Thank you and God Bless you all!

STP

ggonzales
04-13-2010, 03:07 AM
Sorry to hear about your Grandpa, sounds like he was a good,a man who loved the outdoors, I also had both my Grandpa's pass away a few years ago, both with cancer and I saw what they went through it was hard, so I can relate. Just know he is always with you, I know when I am feeling bad, I talk to my Grandpas and it seems like they can hear me, keep your head up and our prayers will be with your family.

SouthTexasPighunter
04-13-2010, 03:56 AM
Thanks Double G I and my family really do appreciate it. On a little brighter note, I know where that property is Off of 173. My family on the Zuniga side used to work cattle all along that area on up into devine and most of Atascosa and even Frio county. I live in Pleasanton so I am about 15 mins from there. Small world aint it.

God Bless you and yours.

STP

Gigem
04-13-2010, 04:14 AM
STP,

That's why I spend so much time in the woods and pastures....that is where I feel closer to those that have gone before me.

You're in some fine hunting country! I was lucky enough to hunt on the Peeler ranch years ago, when Jason was at A&M, and I've got a nice 10-point on the wall that came from there. Alonzo and the boys have their hands full with that much country. Do you know them?...If so, how are they doing? I'm sorry to say that we've kinda "lost track" over the years.

ggonzales
04-13-2010, 05:29 AM
We are still developing our hunting property over there, we need to go in and remove alot of dead and fallen trees and cut grass and disk the property. We have one blind set up and one feeder but have room to set up another on the opposite end of the property. I also plan to do some dove hunting in Atascosa in Sept with Compadre dove hunts. If we get "The Ponderosa" huntable for next fall, I will be spending most of my weekend hunting time there instead of driving down south to Rancho Sueno Mio or La Mota Ranch!!

SouthTexasPighunter
04-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Gigem, I know some of the Peelers, I used to run track with Justin when I was in High school. He went to Jourdanton and I went to Charlotte. I also know his sister she was my oldest daughters basketball coach in the peewee league they had there in Jourdanton when we lived there. The Peeler ranch is a very well known Ranch down in these parts it has lots of good deer and pleanty of hogs and rattlers, not to mention some of the tanks had some big gators in em. Double G that property is good land the deer probably still use the dry river bottom as a funnel to get back and forth to the feeding and bedding zones. If you need a hand or just want to BBQ give me a holler. When it rains the river has potholes that catches good water and holds at least for a lil while so keep that in mind if you are close enough to it to utilize it. Cause them deer wont leave it till they are either forced or its gone, same thing with the hogs.

STP

SouthTexasPighunter
04-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Clarke what is the proper way to measure a hogs cutters for score. From the gumline or after its been pulled and get an overall length?

STP

Gigem
04-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Boars and barrs are scored using a combination of weight , tusk circumference and tusk length. In order for the score to be considered for the Weiser Weight and Tusk Trophy Wild Boar Record Book, the animal must be scored by an official scorer....but here's how it works.

1) Record the weight, in pounds

2) Measure the circumference of each cutter, at the base (gumline) to the nearest 1/8" (ie, lower tusks only....upper tusks, or whetters, don't count).

3) Measure the length of each cutter. The measurement should be taken along the outside of the tusk, from the gumline to the tip. If the tusk is broken, only measure the part that is still present. Cutter length should be measured to the nearest 1/8". Add the cutter lengths together and multiply by 50. (ie they give you 50 points for every inch of cutter length)

4) To calculate the score, add the weight, total cutter circumference and (total cutter length X 50) together.

The WWT book is divided into 2 parts, Boars and Barrs, and then further by High Fence or Free Range and even further depending on whether a majority of the animal's score came from it's weight or tusk length.

An example : Boar weighs 310, the circumference of each tusk is 1 1/2 inches and each tusk is 2 inches long.

WWT score = 310 + (1.5 +1.5) + (50 x 4) = 513 . Since most of the score comes from the boar's weight, the score would be recorded as 513W

Another example : 240 lb boar with 5.5" of total tusk length and 4" of tusk circumference.

WWT score = 240 + (50 x 5.5) + 4 = 240 + 275 + 4 = 519T (since most of the score comes from the tusk length)

In case the weight and tusk length score are the same, the tusk circumference breaks the tie.

Hopefully that makes sense....and I didn't screw the math up!

ggonzales
04-15-2010, 03:36 AM
Thanks for the info STP, a branch of the Atascosa river runs right in the middle of our hunt property and we have a large low fenced ranch behind us that is just a cattle ranch, no hunting, we do have one neighbor on one side that hunts and has some small food plots, so the wildlife cross back and forth thru there. Our blind is actually set up high on a sandy bank of the river and when it is dry you can see the animal trails coming in from the dry river bed, the brush is thick in that area also and looks like prime hog habitat.

SouthTexasPighunter
04-15-2010, 04:09 AM
Thanks Clarke I appreciate it. It makes total sense. Your welcome Double G like I said before we used to work cattle all in that area a long time ago and it had lots of good habitat back then when the river was runnin so I am sure that it still can produce some good animals for you. And if your neighbor has food plots already set then they should be around already just coaxs them into your area with some small plots of your own or with some treats of some sort. I like to use old produce that you can get from some of the local vendors here about. Not to mention watermelon season is about to come into swing and I havent found a hog yet that would pass up a ripened watermelon.

STP