PDA

View Full Version : Do you let em walk?

Cuz
11-08-2009, 03:25 PM
I find myslef letting hogs get a freebie this time of year. During bow season they are on the menu because it is fairly silent to smack one but I don't want to ruin a possible big buck incounter for a hog during gun season. I would if the hog was a new personal record (400+ pounds)

Do any of you do this or do you shoot all hogs no matter the season or weapon?

I let a group of 5 walk this morning at my feeder then 1 loan boar as I crept through the woods after my morning sit.

dougepooo
11-08-2009, 04:04 PM
For the most part I like huntin hogs more than deer, so no, I never just let em walk. I make the shot and then quietly just sit back down and see what happens next

SirVival
11-09-2009, 08:34 AM
If your after that big buck, Cuz, it sounds like the smart thing to do. I'm with Doug though. I don't hunt deer, just hogs, so I rarely let anything walk. I did once have a large boar on game camera who I knew was coming to the feeder in the middle of the night, and when a small group of hogs showed up unexpectedly, I let them walk so as to not stink up the joint and make a racket. Of course, the bigger boar never showed. (Murphy's law I guess.)

txbhunter1
11-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Ihad the same thought at Joe's a few weeks ago. If a hog came in, do Ishoot it or let it walk in hopes for a deer? Well never had to find out.

Cuz
11-09-2009, 01:40 PM
I guess it makes a big difference that for the most part I can shoot a hog whenever I want. So it's not as if I let em walk I may not get another hog for a long time.

Hog hunting is a blast and I do it often but to me it's no match for hunting a big buck!

riverhog
11-10-2009, 09:58 PM
it would be hard lettin them walk, but a big buck doesn't come easy

Jason
11-12-2009, 09:56 AM
shoot them all they all taste good

Hogdude1234
11-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Ifn I seen a hog, I kiiln him ded!!!!

Shane Ladewig

>------------------------------->

TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

boilerroom
11-13-2009, 03:03 AM
I've always been the guy that if a 30 point buck existed in my neck of the woods and he and a 40lb sholt was standing there I'm eating pork chops. Three years ago I had a pig charge me in an open field while walking to my stand. In his thirty yards sprint I dumped 15 9mm rounds. Killed him. Continued hunting and two nice 10 pt bucks walked within 15 yards of me. I smiled knowing if it were any of my friends one of those bucks would have been dead. Remember, pigs are like tail......a little turned down is a little you'll never get again.

SirVival
11-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Hogdude1234 (http://texashoghunter.com/profile.php?user=Hogdude1234) wrote...
Ifn I seen a hog, I kiiln him ded!!!!

"If It Roots, I Shootz!"

Cuz
11-15-2009, 09:59 AM
I've always been the guy that if a 30 point buck existed in my neck of the woods and he and a 40lb sholt was standing there I'm eating pork chops.

WOW! I don't subsribe to that Sir...http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/whistle.gif