PDA

View Full Version : Grayson County,Texas

cabledad
11-15-2009, 08:43 AM
I did ananswer to a post a couple of weeks ago about hunting in Grayson County.We have the Hagerman wild life area,where big deer are killed every year bow hunting only.Hogs are free and incouraged so is doe hunting.Googlethe hagermanwildlife area and look at the rules. I am not to up to date about the rules but the buck deer are big.Look at www.kxii.com (http://www.kxii.com) and read the article about the 60 year old grand mother that killed a 19 point buck that is supposed to make b&c,she did it in her own acreage just east of the Hagerman.Picture is on the kxii web site. The big buck deer mentioned in the NRA hunting magazine 2 years ago mentioned a really big buck that was killed in North Texas on public land was a b&c buck killed off the hagerman.I understand its pretty well a free hunt with a course and a drawing.One of my friend has won it 6 times in the last 20 years.Anyway its a good deal for you bowhunters.Look me up Chuck

txbhunter1
11-15-2009, 11:42 AM
cabledad,

Ilooked at that link from your post and can't find anything on the grandmother or that WMA you are takling about. Got any other place to look it up?

Jimmie
11-15-2009, 12:11 PM
It's listed under most discussed stories, bottom (R) hand corner.. It is a nice deer...

cabledad
11-15-2009, 12:21 PM
www.kxii.com/news/headlines/69614607/html Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge 300000 acres on Lake Texoma.Chuck

txbhunter1
11-17-2009, 01:09 PM
How's this for small worlds. Ijust got this emailed to me and thought Iwould share it with y'all. (Cabledad)

Slow deer season? Not for these two hunters

Deer season started slowly for most hunters. That's primarily due to lush range conditions that have fattened the deer and kept daytime movements to a minimum. Even when the hunting is slower than normal, some lucky hunter is in the right place at the right time.

That happened to Steve Bowen in Cooke County and to Joyce Oolen in Grayson County.

Bowen was hunting with traditional archery equipment on Nov. 4 when he shot the most unusual antlered doe anyone has reported in Texas. Oolen was hunting with a crossbow, virtually in her own back yard, when she shot a huge buck – probably the biggest Texas whitetail ever taken with a crossbow by a woman.

Bowen was in a tree stand when he saw the unusual deer at about 40 yards. He immediately recognized it from game camera photos on the 800-acre Cooke County lease.

"I thought the deer was a stag buck," he said. "The antler mass is incredible and there's just an explosion of Medusa-like points coming off the huge bases. When I found the deer, I was shocked that it was a doe."

A stag buck is generally a male deer that's been accidentally castrated. It grows antlers that never shed velvet – never develop into hardened antler. The result can be pretty weird. Mitch Lockwood, white-tailed deer program leader for Texas Parks and Wildlife, said there are several stag bucks reported each season in the Llano area.

Those deer are not injured and seem to have functional reproductive organs. Lockwood said the theory is there's some plant growing in the granite soil of Llano County that the deer are eating to cause the odd antler growth.

When Lockwood saw photos of Bowen's 26-point trophy, he checked with other Texas whitetail experts before agreeing that it was probably a doe and not a deer that had sex organs of both a male and female. The male sex organs in hermaphroditic deer are usually internal, he said.

"I think this particularly doe grew several years worth of velvet antler," Lockwood said. "A hard freeze last winter damaged the soft antler tips but not the bases. That's why the antler bases are so big and so many points are growing right out of the bases."

This fall, theorized Lockwood, the deer experienced a spike in testosterone that caused her to shed the velvet, revealing hardened antlers that are so unusual that the rack will be very difficult to score. Lockwood said he did not know of an antlered doe from Texas that would score higher than 130 B&C points.

Bowen's doe will score much higher, if anyone can figure out where to score the eight beam circumferences and how to differentiate the typical frame from all the nontypical points. The bases are about 10 inches in diameter.

Oolen was hunting from a homemade ground blind on 23 acres owned by her and her husband, Donnie. Their home is on the property, bordered on three sides by the Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge.

The refuge is known for monster bucks. In 2001, Jeff Duncan arrowed a 26-pointer that scored 2257/8 B&C and remains the largest free-ranging archery nontypical whitetail reported in Texas.

Oolen said she's seen some very big bucks around the refuge, but they're seldom visible during daylight hours. Their remote trail camera had captured a photo of a big buck, but neither she nor her husband had seen the deer.

Oolen, 60, is retired and hunts nearly every day. About 5:20 p.m. on Nov. 7, she was watching a small buck and a doe when the two deer got nervous and began looking at something in the brush.

"I only had a small window to shoot through, and I got my crossbow up just as the buck walked out," she said. "I made a bleating sound to stop him and then took the shot."

It was a good shot on a great buck. Oolen immediately recognized it as the deer from the trail camera photos. With 17 points long enough to score and exceptional mass on the main beams, Oolen's buck was scored last week at 1765/8 B&C points. An examination of the buck's teeth indicated he was 41/2 years old.

Ithink Iwill definately check into this for next yr. Shane, you in with me for having a look?

Hogdude1234
11-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Heck yeah Gary!!! This is a stones throw from the ranch here in Forestburg Ya' know!!!

Shane Ladewig

>----------------------------------->

TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

txbhunter1
11-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Maybe when Icome up there after the deer season, we can go have a look around. Pre-scouting mission man.

cabledad
11-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Anybody comes to the hagerman let me know as I live about 4 miles from from it.I will help with your pre scouting mission. Chuck

Hogdude1234
11-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Maybe when Icome up there after the deer season, we can go have a look around. Pre-scouting mission man.

10-4 on that!!! http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/dance.gif

Shane Ladewig

>------------------------------>

TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff member

txbhunter1
11-18-2009, 11:58 PM
We appreciate it very much cabledad (Chuck) and will take you up on that offer.

Gary

cabledad
11-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Its Saturday afternoon 6.30 pm and I was standing in my yard by the bbq smoker and a neighbor yelled at me to look at the two buck deer standing in the tree line 100 yards from my house.Their the first deer I have seen in this subdivision.Coyotes are thick I know you can hear them every night. Just thought you guys would like to hear my wildlife story for the day

txbhunter1
11-29-2009, 12:44 AM
http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/texas/hagerman/hunt.html

This website will give you all the details you need to be able to hunt Hagerman. You will have to take an archery proficiency test prior to hunting and have successfully passed an archery safety education class also before sending in for the drawing to hunt here. The hunts look to be only 2 day hunts if drawn just as any of the other Type II hunts in the state.

Thanks Chuck for the lead.

Hogdude1234
11-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Looks like a great spot to hunt...gunna definitely have to do some scouting!!!

___________________________________-

Shane Ladewig

>------------------------->

txbhunter1
11-29-2009, 02:06 PM
You have to get drawn first and can only scout the day prior to your 2 day hunt. Prior to that you have to pass their archery tests and have an archery safety ed. cert.

Hogdude1234
11-29-2009, 03:13 PM
You have to get drawn first and can only scout the day prior to your 2 day hunt. Prior to that you have to pass their archery tests and have an archery safety ed. cert.

I read all the info about the hunt. Sounds like it would be a challenge to get in there, find the deer without spooking them and get the job done in that short amount of time...but I am all for giving it a try!!!!

Shane Ladewig

>------------------------------->

txbhunter1
11-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Me too. just have to find an archery ed. class now. Hope they got some trees around for the profiency test though. Not sure Icould hit the target without banking it off of a tree first. LMAO!!!!!! http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/lol.gif

cabledad
01-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Well there are hogs in Grayson County.The secretary of our home owners association(fountain Creek) email us and told us that the hogs tore her fence down and chewed up her back yard,right here in Pottsboro,Tx.Thats pretty close.Chuck

cabledad
05-26-2010, 01:00 PM
I think if any of you bowhunters want to try the Hagerman deer hunt now is the time to get started.If I was a bowhunter I sure would.Chuck

cabledad
07-30-2010, 05:23 PM
I drove through the Hagerman today 96 degrees and there were 2 fawns standing out in the middle of the main road.Went on a little ways and saw the biggest hog roots I have ever seen.I thought they had there hogs under control.Appears not to be any where undercontrol.Then stopped and talked to the Patrolman there he said they kill a few with there rifles and have somebody is trappingthem. a few years ago they trapped 600 hogs in one year.No wonder Grayson County is losing to the hogs.Chuck

cabledad
10-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Well Grayson County is pretty hoggy,my cable tv tech went on a disconnect in Southmayd at a business on the edge of town.The guy managing the land around the business said to him "too bad you didn't bring your gun so you could kill these@#$#**& hogs that come in here ever night.He has a large sounder 30 to 40 hogs he says ever night.He did shoot one during the day. It is in side of Southmayd,s city limits so bow hunting would probably be better.Chuck

cabledad
10-29-2010, 02:11 AM
I hog hunt a 110 acres on the edge of the Hagerman with a gun. Across the road there is a big place that is rough,one of the neighbors told me that nobody can hunt this place as the owner want let anybody on it.He has no lights running water are indoor plumbing. His place is loaded with hogs.He is one of many land owners that don't do anything about there hog infestation in Grayson County What a shame,our place is covered with hog tracks,they come off corps land and private land that is hunted once and while.Needless to say they are nocturnal.Too many hogs no hunting by land owners,they don't let anybody hunt.I will bet that for ever place in Grayson County that is hunting size 1 hog a year is not killed by each place average.I have been here 21 years and seen the hog population go crazy I am expecting it to really go crazy in the next few years.Its just typical of Texas.Chuck

cabledad
11-01-2010, 03:37 PM
We set the door on a trap that about 30 foot around last time it was set they caught 19 hogs,if we do that tomorrow I will have lots of hogs to give away.If you want one let me know.No hog will leave this place alive.Chuck

cabledad
11-07-2010, 09:55 AM
I drove through the Hagerman just an hour ago and saw the Patrolmen at the Hagerman skinning a large buck.I went up and asked them what was going on,they told me that this buck was a buck that was less than 12 inches wide that they had confiscated it and fined the hunter $500 for killing a buck that was under the minimum.This buck was fully grown probably on the decline, probably 125 pounds in good shape.I would have shot it Chuck.

cabledad
11-14-2010, 07:58 AM
Went through the Hagerman Game refuge today found another deer hanging at the Ranger check station,the assistant manager of the refuge was proud of it his buck.Non typical on the left side ,probably 24 inches wide with 5 points on the right sideVery heavy.Got him to come to him with a bleet can.He said they have 11000 acres and kill 1000 hogs a year.Both trapped and shot by refuge employees.Chuck

cabledad
11-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Well the deer hunters game camera picked up a big deer on the 110 acres so I am not hunting till deer season is over.So I went looking around at the neighbors land.Saw yards that were torn up,stopped and talked to the owner,he killed one with a 38 special in his front yard.I told him about Hunter alert he says he is going to get one so he can get the hogs in his yard.The man across the street said I can hunt his 30 acres which is real brushy.But the best place is the wheat field next door.I am going to get in touch with the owner and get permission.Its is chewed up with hog roots.There must be a bunch of hogs.I need to kill one as I could use some BBQ PorK.Chuck

txbhunter1
11-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Good luck Chuck, get you one.

Paul
11-27-2010, 07:26 PM
I was at Syracusse's meat when that deer was dropped off

cabledad
11-28-2010, 03:02 AM
It is still being hunted ,they were in there yesterday afternoon hunting don't know if any one got it,It is a big non typical.The place is full of hogs and I have to drive by .Its hard to do.Chuck

cabledad
12-02-2010, 02:37 AM
Well I got the wheat patch to hunt on next door ,its all chewed up by hogs,when I get over my double dose of pinkeye (yes pinkeye) I am going to set up a ground blind and try out my new 300 whisper.Chuck

cabledad
12-10-2010, 03:51 AM
Well I have great hog traffic on my corn,they clean it up right after I leave pretty late at night,I figured it out that the hogs are coming off a huge place to the south,lots of trails and roots. Mentioned it to the land owner he told me if I wanted to hunt to the south go to his other place 1 mile south right in the middle of this huge ranch,so here in a minute I am going to run out and see what gives out there.let you all know what happens.Chuck

txbhunter1
12-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Good luck Chuck. Hope you get a bunch.

cabledad
12-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Went to the new area and its the most hoggy area that I have ever seen,on the wheat field there is hog crap ever 20 feet each way you look.I set up a feeder and they are hitting it regularly just not during the day time,hunted it till 8 pm and didn't see anything several times..Need to set up a camera to find out the time.Maybe Sunday I can put it up.I will let you all know what I do.Chuck

riverhog
12-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Good luck, sounds like you found a honey hole.

cabledad
12-25-2010, 06:04 AM
Merry Christmas from Grayson County Texas.Setting here waiting for 25 inlaws to arrive,lots of good food and no wild hog just a little buffalo from last year.Have a good time .Chuck

cabledad
01-17-2011, 04:13 PM
I heard that the Haggerman Game preserve is going in the future to have a draw hog hunt.Don't know when but they have lots of hogs.I will let everone know all I know as soon as I hear it.Chuck