PDA

View Full Version : Red or Green

lawki
11-16-2009, 10:53 AM
OK, so we now have a bunch of hogs moving in about 1 AM and I need to get rid of them. I have a spotlight setup to make the night into day, but was wonder about the green and red lens covers that are sold. I know that they are there to not spook the hogs into running like the main clear beam would, but which is better? I have seen both used and my spotlight came with a red lens cover. I see that the The Kill Light Portable Hog Light System (as seen on another post) uses green LEDS and other Varmint light systems use a red cover.

What are the optinions on the red vs green lens covers?

Hogdude1234
11-16-2009, 12:02 PM
I use RED light. Not much success with any GREEN light so far...but not through trying!!!

Shane Ladewig

>-------------------------------->

TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

txbhunter1
11-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Red or green Ithink makes no diff as long as you get it out there and let them get used ot it. If you try and blast them with any color they will bolt for sure but the subtle glow onto them until in fulllight beamwill work best. JMO

lawki
11-17-2009, 10:48 AM
I thought that Hogs could not see red similar to deer. Thought they were BG and not RBG with eyesight.

txbhunter1
11-17-2009, 12:27 PM
From what Ihave been told and observed, hogs do see colors. That is why they use the corneas from them for human transplants. Just don't blast them with a light and you'll be good.

CODY
11-17-2009, 12:56 PM
I have always used red and had great success with it. I have a EWT light that Gary gave me that will be put to the test after deer season and I'll know how I like the green light after that.

poman
04-01-2010, 01:38 AM
We have always used the Red lens on our spot light for varmit calling at night and it works very well. Sometimes the coyote or fox don't seem to notice at all. When I turn the light on I have it pointed up in the air and not right at the animal then slowly bring it down just above brush line (just above the animal) to pick up the reflection of their eyes then when ready to shoot lower the light just enough to identify your target and shoot. We have seen many a Cow out there and the occasional deer so we never just shoot at eyes. I have never used the green so have no opinion but I heard that the human eye can see better in the green light than the red, but just hearsay.