PDA

View Full Version : will hogs eat hogs

riverhog
12-13-2009, 03:20 PM
shot a boarand 2 sows saturday night,the boar was to bigand heavy to drag by myself to the 4 wheeler, i loaded up the smaller sows i had shot and went home to get my soninlaw to come back and help me get him out. by the time i got home, hung up the smaller pigs and called my son inlaw it was around 11:30 p.m. . he convinced me to wait until morning to go and get the boar, it was cold that night and the boar was field dressed. we went in around 8:00 a.m. the boar wasn't where i had left him. we found him 35 yards from where i had dressed him and he had been tore up. there were spots where there was flesh and bones and alot of hog tracks. his rib cage looked like someone had taken an axe to it, broken jagged bones. we saw only hog tracks around the carcas, i have neverseen anything like this before, will hogs eat another dead hog?

BustedAssRanch
12-13-2009, 06:42 PM
short answer.....yes

dougepooo
12-14-2009, 01:48 AM
i have heard they will but have never seen it. I have seen hogs all around a freashly killed hog pay it no attentiom at all but i suspect that gutting him might have made the difference.

ggonzales
12-14-2009, 03:01 AM
Hogs will eat just about anything including a human if hungry enough!!!

txbhunter1
12-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Back on the farm when Iwas growing up, we would toss still born calves and piglets in the hog pen and there would be nothing left by morning.

Hogdude1234
12-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Well heck yeah I'll eat hogs!!!! LMAO!!!! Seriously...my neighbor shot a boar one night behind his house and he could hear the other hogs eating him before he was completely dead, he said it was quite a sound!!! Must have been some hungry suckers!!! I found it hard to believe at first, then he showed me the carcass...I was amazed!!!!

Shane Ladewig

>-------------------------------->

TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

txsteele
12-16-2009, 06:49 AM
They sure will.......they'll eat a turd if hungry enoughhttp://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/eh.gif

Gonehuntin68
12-16-2009, 12:05 PM
They sure will and I know for a fact they will eat a dead cow. I shot a boar about a year ago off a dead cow.

BestCresting09
12-19-2009, 04:31 AM
Hog farms, Ive loaded pigs onto semi's and if one gets a boo boo while loading.......the other pigs kill it, taking bites out of it etc... Thats a domestic critter, I can only imagine wild beasts. Snatch! great movie, Bricktop and his pigs!!

Pigs, Gators and Bears freak me out!

WyoHunter
01-01-2010, 02:22 PM
From what I'm told they'll eat anything that can't get away!

TxThumper
01-17-2010, 03:26 PM
They will eat each other. Pigs are capable of living on any protein source. They are incredibly hearty scavengers and will eat just about anything that doesn't eat them first. Yes they absolutley will scavenge the carcass of any dead animal.