PDA

View Full Version : Welcome To The Fire

aggiebowhunter
02-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Im glad to see everyone is getting to know each other. There are some fine people here for sure.

However there is onething Id like to say.If you do not have something meaningful and worthwhile to sayto promote our sport dont post it here. We are doing our best to uplift, educate and promote our sport and we do not need someone dragging it down.

Please, feel free to comment at will. Be sensible, not silly. Provide insight, intelligence and not irritation. We're hoping for wit and wisdom, not whining.

If you can contribute to the positive direction of the “fire”, step up, increase your post count, and participate.

Thanks again to Neill Davidson for getting this dream going for the rest of us.

Randy

lrhog
02-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Getting ready for my 3rd hog hunting to trip to your great state of texas, I hail from Mo. I have a question for all of you more experienced hunters: If you were going hog hunting to place that you've never been, what would kind of bait/attractant would you bring, if any. This trip I'm heading to an area near the Palo Duro Canyon, outside of Amarillo. Thanks for any help.

This site is awesome for us rookies.

herefishy
02-11-2009, 12:12 PM
lrhog (http://texashoghunter.com/profile.php?user=lrhog) wrote...

Getting ready for my 3rd hog hunting to trip to your great state of texas, I hail from Mo. I have a question for all of you more experienced hunters: If you were going hog hunting to place that you've never been, what would kind of bait/attractant would you bring, if any. This trip I'm heading to an area near the Palo Duro Canyon, outside of Amarillo. Thanks for any help.

This site is awesome for us rookies.

I started hunting (the area that I hunt) in October. January 10th (three months later), I found the opportunity to take a perfect shot and make a good kill. I estimate that I put in 100 hours of stalking and obversation to realize "meat on the table".

(1) Maybe you should see the post, "7 mistakes that hunters make".

(2) Maybe you should call nate and get a guided hunt, if you expect any return for your investment in your endeavor

Kind Regards,

Mark

herefishy
02-11-2009, 12:28 PM
On the other hand... if you already have some location (Amarillo) established... and you're on your own for only several days....

I wouldn't waste any time with baiting. Just stalk.

If you find a likely spot (with traces of activity) sit in a tree stand or whathaveyou, during night - if you can hunt at night.

My personal opinion, is that baiting is best applied in the sense of establishing habits... over periods of time. Just setting out some sour corn on an evening and sitting over it for a night, I do not think is that productive. It's not like fishing.

Hogs are always on the move. To the limited experience that I have, I have decided that the hog movement around the property is somewhat like the toilet bowl.... in the Northern Hemisphere of the planet Earth, the toilet bowl flush always rotates clockwise. But my initial analysis of the hog movement that I have noticed in my observations where I hunt... is the hogs move clockwise also.

If you set out with a game plan, I suggest that you progress across/around your area in a counter-clockwise direction to run into them. This has proven most successful for me... in encountering the game. Of course you should take the wind direction into consideration.

My only success in encountered the quarry (I am a bowhunter) is stalking. I have sat for hours over diesel corn that I have a hundred photos of swine partying. But never had an encounter as I sat over it.

I have never had an encounter with a swine, as I sat on my ass. Swine to do not sit still. Stalk gingerly in a counter-clockwise direction, and kill.

I must add for clairty - that I do not hunt at night.... my responses apply to daylight hunting.

JMTCW,

Mark

http://texashoghunter.com/oldatt/sightings.jpg

lrhog
02-12-2009, 01:31 AM
Herefishy,thanks for the return info. On the hunts I have been on, we've hunted at night. I think is the best way, certainly you get a great rush!. I read the "7 mistakes hog hunters make" post, and as i read them, i laughed because I've made just about all of them my first couple of times, Ha!

Being impatientmy biggest mistake......shot one in the head, and unfortunately, could not locate it that night, or even the next morning. Hate to leave wounded game in the field...So, hopefully my third trip will be a little smoother.

lrhog..

BigGameHunts
02-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Hello everyone I just got invited to join this site and I think it's great !! Thanks for the invite guys .. I am new to hunting hogs and have neverhuntedthem before . We do not have a hog hunting season up here but I sure am intterested in learning about it and talking about it incase I ever book a hunt. Thanks ,,, Now I invite you to check my site out at www.cobequidbiggameadventures.com (http://www.cobequidbiggameadventures.com) and feel free to click on discussion forum and sign up ,,thank you so much . We can experience lots of new stuff on both sites LOL,LOL. I have lots of footage and such but none of hogs ,but if any time you would like me to post anythnig in that manner just let me know ,I have lotso ffootage and pics to share with you folks . Look forward to chatting with you ..Talk later.