PDA

View Full Version : BURLAP SOAKED IN BURNT MOTOR OIL

Lukeclayton
02-09-2010, 12:29 AM
Hogs love to rub their hides in oil or grease of any sort. Take a piece of chain and wire it tightly between two trees. Cover it with burlap and then use tie wire to secure the burlap to the chain. Drench the burlap in burnt motor oil (be careful with the enviornment, of course, put it ONLY on the burlap).

You will find hogs passing up your corn feeder to get to this artificial 'rubbing post'.It's anohter trick that will help concentrate hogs.I've noted that when traveling "new" hogs come through, they often stick around because of attractants such as this. Good hunting to all of you. LukeClayton

ggonzales
02-09-2010, 02:01 AM
I definitely will try this set up at both of our hunting locations, we get alot of hogs "traveling" or moving around, but only come thru every so often, having set ups like this may help keep these hogs close by!!!

Jordan1991
02-09-2010, 06:21 AM
Thats why i love this site. Im trying to do everything possiable to bring hogs in and what better place than good ol texas hog hunters .com

KEEP THE TIPS COMEING

dougepooo
02-09-2010, 11:29 AM
I take a old piece of carpet and nail it around a tree base and then cover it with old oil but anything that stinks seems to work. Take for example some rotten fish, that works. also deisel or Creasote.

Lukeclayton
02-11-2010, 01:07 AM
All that will work (I don't want to deal with the rotten fish, personally) but if you're a hog hunter, why not use your burnt motor oil. It's free and gives the hogs what they want. They absolutely love these 'rubbing areas' and will keep coming back to them. Good Hunting to all of you. If you don't have used motor oil, I'd thing Creasote would be about as good as it gets.

Hogdude1234
02-11-2010, 01:26 AM
If any of you have a power line running through your hunting property, check the poles. Hogs love to rub on them...we have several poles that are completely covered in mud up to about 4 feet where the hogs have rubbed...and the ground around the base of the pole is wallered out too. I plan on hunting one soon. I know there is a big boar in the area and firgure he is the one rubbing up to four feet!!! CHECK YOUR POLES!!!

CODY
02-11-2010, 04:12 AM
No doubt that the burnt motor oil or grease will attrack the hogs. Me personally, I wouldn't do this near a feeder you plan to deer hunt any time soon as it could keep them from coming in. Just something to think about.

Like Hogdude said power line poles are also great places to look for rubs and even better when they are close to water. And when one is wallered out deep you know it's a good one. I've seen them wallerd out a foot or more deep.

rusa7476
02-11-2010, 09:29 AM
hey hogdude did you ever try the pole wraped in diesel soked burlap??????

Hogdude1234
02-12-2010, 03:00 AM
hey hogdude did you ever try the pole wraped in diesel soked burlap??????

Yeah, I did. I think the hogs preferred the creosote though. I had 3 pics in 2 weeks. A boar came to investigate but I think that was it. He sure kept on rubbing on the next pole down the line though!!!

Lukeclayton
02-13-2010, 03:43 AM
Used to guide some bowhunter on a ranch near Athens.. If you really want to get the hogs stirred up.put some restaurante grease on the ground! Of course,this is only good for a day or so, they can smell this grease from quiet a distance,it affects hogs the way catnip affects cats! Once they find the grease they will wallow, eat and root all around it. Anything oily attracts hogs, though. Oily and smelly like grease, creosote, burned motor oil,diesel, etc. is even better.

drhntr214
02-15-2010, 12:42 PM
If any of you have a power line running through your hunting property, check the poles. Hogs love to rub on them...we have several poles that are completely covered in mud up to about 4 feet where the hogs have rubbed...and the ground around the base of the pole is wallered out too. I plan on hunting one soon. I know there is a big boar in the area and firgure he is the one rubbing up to four feet!!! CHECK YOUR POLES!!!

You can also try using Kresso-D. Tractor Supply has it. I mix it about 50/1 in a spray rig and spray down a few tree bases heavily. Pigs love it! Took about 2 weeks for them to rub all the bark off an oak tree about 24" diameter.

Jordan1991
02-15-2010, 01:28 PM
I gunna try this along side my hog tube. Gunna try to make a little hog heaven in one area and see what i can get. I wonder if they might kinda get pushed away due to too much of a good thing in one area.

Lukeclayton
02-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Well, they are HOGS and I doubt we can give em too much of what they like,ha! I do plan to put up the flexible sewer pipe filled with corn. Never tried this but have used roll barrels with holes in them. I like the sewer pipe plan but then, it's hard to beat a good corn feeder going off at the same time each evening. I have a bunch of hogs patterened well here by my home about 25 miles se of Dallas.Shot one a couple weeks ago, the article with picture is currently posted there on my radio site www.catfishradio.com. Got em coming in around 8 pm each evening. Time to put another on the ground and make some more cured ham! Good hunting to you! lc