PDA

View Full Version : HOG SNARES

Jordan1991
02-10-2010, 02:27 PM
I Think im gunna try some hog snares. I have at least 50 spots were i can tell the hogs are comeing threw a old barb wire fence. Does anyone have any suggetstions or tips on how to make some snares or do you think it would be cheaper to buy some i can get a dozen for 30 bucks. Any tips or suggestions would be great.

ggonzales
02-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Never heard of snaring hogs, but I see the same thing at our property in Atascosa, you can see the trails very clearly where the hogs cross thru the fence. I wonder if the hogs would bite themselves free like some coyotes or wolves do?

BustedAssRanch
02-10-2010, 03:03 PM
The trapper in Del Rio uses air craft cable..Im guessing 5/16 to 3/8 of an inch. He sets his own post & does not use the rotted/rusted fence post. Thats all I have as I have never used them.

ferg
02-12-2010, 12:58 AM
I have snared quite a few hogs, I have not had any chew through their own body or the cable. The are not happy when you come up on them. Several times they wrapped the cable so tight around a tree it killed them. Snares work well but they do not pick and choose what gets caught, be very careful deer will also get snared!

riverhog
02-12-2010, 03:41 AM
i use snares , i make my own out of 5/16 air craft cable, , i braid loops into each end of the cable, as you mentioned fences are the best place to make a set. but deer and coyotes also use pig trails.i run my snares every day. snares like traps wil become ineffective after you have caught pigs in that area,you will see that piogs will move trails after a few have been caught on it. i have never had a pig to chew through their own body, have had several to be killed wrappin cable to tight. BE CAREFUL APPROACHING A SNARED HOG , have head several look dead only to be alive after i had already grabbed them. this is a very effective way of catchin hogs

riverhog
02-12-2010, 08:24 AM
this coyote was caught in one of my snares today, the snare was set where the pigs had been coming under the fence.

http://texashoghunter.com/oldatt/yote 002.JPG

Jordan1991
02-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Riverhog how do you make the lock or the part that slides tight on the cable around the neck of the hog. i would be happy catching coyote or hog i have problems with both. Nice Coyote