PDA

View Full Version : Some advice on rifle calibers

RunnelsHogger
02-13-2010, 12:49 PM
I have some land, around 560 acres, and haveusually always practiced bowhunting on hogs out there, lately I have tried to change things up and purchased a Marlin .270. Upon my first hunt (stalking) I came upon a small group of 5. Ishot semi blindly as they were behind a bush, to scatter them, which they did, and one headed away from me into an open area, I took aim, fired, and watched him tumble, I turned my head to see where the others were scattering to for about 5 seconds, turned my head back and he was taking off into the brush. Question: is .270 not enough power to drop one? I wouldn't think so but Ihad dead aim on this hog right at the back of the head and he got up and took off.

Hogdude1234
02-13-2010, 02:21 PM
From my experiences the .270 is a great caliber for hogs. I shoot a .308 and my Dad shoots a .270...both of us have killed plenty of hogs with them. My Dad dropped a 325 lbs, boar dead in his tracks with his .270. Anyone else have any experiences with the .270?

txbhunter1
02-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Got a new one for x-mas but have yet to christen it. WIth the new light coming out soon and a scope mount for it, should not be any problems at all getting it dirty.

riverhog
02-13-2010, 03:17 PM
i shoot a remington 270 on occasions, it is an effective hog caliber, i have had some not so impressive results with the nosler/winchester ballistic silvertips, they are a great deer bullet, but have put some good shots on hogs to have them run long distances. i like the hornady sst innerlok, and the barnes x bullet for hogs. with any caliber - shot placement is critical

JaredG
02-13-2010, 05:40 PM
+1 Shot placement is where its at. The 270 will drop any hog with a well placed shot, thats what I used before my .338 Win Mag. Riverhog is pointing you the right way.. the barnes x is a Great hog bullet. My .338 Win Mag is way too much gun but i enjoy shooting it and im a seeker of the red mist but ive shot hogs runing with a not so well placed shot... 2 in which were running dead away from me, both droped.. on one the bullet exited the front. What kind of bullet were you using?

Jordan1991
02-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Yea man .270 is a hog dropper but just like jared and riverhog said its all about shot placement.

Hogdude1234
02-14-2010, 03:15 AM
.270 shot placment: Right behind the ear, in the ear hole, or right on or a hair behind the shoulder. Depending on your shooting ability and lighting conditions. Or, if the hog is facing away from you with its head down...well, you know where to put that bullet!!! The 'ole Texas Heart Attack!!! LMAO!!!

txbhunter1
02-14-2010, 07:38 AM
Never heard it refered to as that before Shane. ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CODY
02-14-2010, 05:47 PM
The 7mm mag was my go to rifle for hogs untill I started using my .270. I've taken around a dozen with my .270 in the last year and all have fallin straight down, everyone was DRT. Most all were DRT with the 7 mag too but my .270 is just easier to carry. I only go for the head or neck shots and that puts them down best for me.

Lukeclayton
02-15-2010, 12:24 PM
270 is great for hogs. I hunt them a great deal, mostly with bow (i'm on the mathews pro staff) but, I have a little .22 Hornet rigged with a night vision scope. Shooting is, of course, at night at around 35 yards over corn. The little Hornet is an awesome hog round IF you go for a brain shot, frontal neck shot and.. believe it or now, a LOW just behind the shoulder shot (Lungs).

I wouldn't advise everyone to shoot a Hornet but in the right hands, it's a deadly little caliber for close work on hogs. Trust me, your 270 is most adequate for any and all hog shooting. Drill then in the head, in front of the shoulders or' tight' behing the shoulders. No mammal can live when shot through the lungs. Good hunting to you! lc

drhntr214
02-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Nothing wrong with a 270. Most any caliber will put them DRT but shot placement is extremly important. I prefer to bow hunt but with a rifle I try to stay 50 yds or less and ear hole them. A lot of pigs will run and need to be tracked because of poor shot placement. They are not built like a deer. Their vitals ride much lower than a deer. It is not much larger than the size of your fist and is app. even on their body with their front elbow. If you try neck shots. remember that theur spine is about centerline of their neck.

I know a lot of deer hunters that lose a mess of hogs by not knowing their anatomy. As long as you are proficient with the gun you shoot and know both your guns and your limitations, they should drop right away.

I use the word should VERY loosely!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jordan1991
02-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Yea try a 7 mm mag and shot placement still matters.

aggiebowhunter
02-17-2010, 03:20 AM
When they are running away from you shoot them right in the tailhead and they will drop in their tracks.

Folks above me have pretty much covered it. All I have to add is to stay away from ballistic tipped bullets. They work well on small young hogs but not so well on the trophys.

Use a good hard lead pill or even something like the Barnes XXX bullet. Any centerfire rifle will work.

The ballistic bullets work in many cases, but when they dont its bad. That is typically on a monster hog that is very coarse.

apache2831
03-13-2010, 01:25 PM
I was in the tree stand 2 weeks ago. Took a shot at a hog about 100 yds out. 25 mph winds so a good shot was hard so i aimed for the neck instead of the head and still dialing in my scope a little. Came in through the neck and stopped behind his other shoulder. Dropped right there. I was using hornady BTSP. 243 and all she did was kick. Alot of guys down here use a 223 for head and neck. I would say whatever you comfortable shooting for shot after shot accuracy.

ggonzales
03-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Those hogs are just tuff and some can take the lead, .270 is plenty bullet to do the job and some may argue you can go even smaller and still perform with no problem. I was suprised to hear that the last hog my dad shot he had to shoot the pig 5 times in the head, behind the ear, behind the shoulder, between the eyes and that tuff son of gun never dropped with a .357 mag, some hogs are just beast!!!

mrbigtex
03-15-2010, 03:26 PM
As others here have said...shot placement #1. Unless you use a bazooka, a hog will continue to run if the shot is not placed right. You could take out both lungs and the hog would run until it blacks out from lack of oxygen. Midline anywhere from eyeball to shoulder should take out the spine and is where I prefer to make my shots. HAWG DOWN!

Deepfriedking
03-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Any good deer caliber is fine for hogs they have a small kill zone, from ear to front leg, you hit anyplace behind the front leg and they will run because your in the guts. I've never had one leave a descent blood trail either. If you shoot them in the neck don't shoot high,,big hunk a muscle ontop of spine, may knock em down but they will get up and take off. Hope this helps

killadeaux
05-04-2010, 02:44 AM
I've taken 10 hogs in the past 12 months. A bullet behind the ear is the best placement. This last shot was 199 yards.

killadeaux
05-04-2010, 02:48 AM
I've taken 10 hogs in the past 12 months. A bullet behind the ear works everytime. This last shot was 199 yards.

http://texashoghunter.com/oldatt/Texas boarApr 12 2010.jpg