PDA

View Full Version : night vision

ObamaSucks
02-23-2010, 06:33 AM
I am looking into putting a night vision scope on my SKS. Do any of you know anythign about what would work the best? I want Gen 3, but can't tell what the best option is.

Gigem
02-23-2010, 08:21 AM
We use autogated, Gen3, 6x D-760 weapons sights on 4 of our rifles. A lot of advertisers refer to autogated Gen 3 as Gen 4 but the DoD doesn't recognize a Gen 4 designation yet....It's borderline "false advertising" in my opinion....Gen 3+ maybe, but not Gen 4 yet.

I would definitely recommend Gen 3 as a minimum, from both a performance perspective as well as tube life. Whether you spend the extra for an autogated tube is up to you and your hunting conditions. If you're not likely to encounter any stray bright light, it might not be worth it.

Some folks prefer a 4x over a 6x....that's just a matter of personal preferance. The 4x will obviously give you a wider field of view, but the 6x is nice when it comes to longer shots.

Cost-wise, you're looking at around $4000-5000, depending on the tube options, for a D-760....a Raptor will jump to over $7000. That's a lot of money, but you're getting a brand-new scope, with warranty, that's built to last. We hammer them every night.

If you have any questions, just ask!

ggonzales
02-23-2010, 12:23 PM
I truly love the SKS riffle, it's an amazing piece of work

ObamaSucks
02-24-2010, 04:21 AM
Gigem, will I be able to mount that scope to my SKS? I am a little concerned that the shells ejected will hit the scope. Since it cost so much want to make sure I am not going to damage the scope. Thank you for the information.

ObamaSucks
02-24-2010, 04:24 AM
GGONZALES, I completly agree. I am going to turn mine into a hogs worst nightmare and be forced to buy a new freezer to store all the meat.

Gigem
02-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Gigem, will I be able to mount that scope to my SKS? I am a little concerned that the shells ejected will hit the scope. Since it cost so much want to make sure I am not going to damage the scope. Thank you for the information.

You may want to install a shell deflector.... I don't use SKS's, but I understand your concern. We use AR15's and AR10's and haven't had a problem, but the ejection path is different.

hognut
03-14-2010, 06:29 PM
For someone who is looking to purchase a night vision scope and can't afford more than gen 1 are there any recommended scopes or any info on why If shouldn't waist my time. I have a gen1 monococular and it works just fine for me. I'm just sick of waisting my money on red battery operated lights and I'm not waisting my money on a hog light. Basicly I not interested in light.

ggonzales
03-15-2010, 03:30 AM
Any feedback from anyone in regards to the night vision Binoculars, which is a good reliable choice and affordable?

Gigem
03-15-2010, 05:11 AM
Luke Clayton has a Gen1 scope that came from Bass Pro....I think he uses it on top of a .22 hornet and he like it for close shots with a feeder light. All of our gear is either Gen 3 or autogated Gen 3 (which a lot of advertisers call Gen 4), so I can't give any recommendations on Gen 1 gear. I do have a Gen 2 device called a Digital Ranger by Yukon that works pretty well. It looks like a pair of binoculars and it's a digital image...black/white not green. I bought it to try to record through, because it has a video-out jack. It's 5x with two built-in IR illuminators...retails for $479...I can order one for you and maybe save a few $$$

hognut
03-15-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm only in the market for a scope. I guess I'll have to take my chances like when I bought the monocular I own. The only reason I need it is because I lost my spot light person. After I buy my gen 1 scope I'll start saving for that gen 3.

Gigem
03-16-2010, 06:32 AM
If you're happy with your monocular, you could get an inexpensive red or green aiming laser. Mount it on your rifle and get it zeroed in. Then if you could somehow attach your monocular to the rifle, you could use it as a viewer. When you find a hog, get ready, turn on the laser, place the dot on the pig and pull the trigger! The laser would be visible to the hogs , but if you don't turn it on until you're ready to fire, it's too late for Mr. Piggy!

ggonzales
03-22-2010, 03:58 AM
We busted out my friends Gen one night vision scope mounted on his AR-15 at the ranch recently to try to knock down some pork after dark, just when the piggies began to show up at the feeder 30 minutes after dark the batteries went out on his night vision scope and he was not able to take down a hog at the feeder. Pretty frustrating but that is how hunting goes, you win some but you loose most of the time!!!