PDA

View Full Version : Smoking?

hognut
03-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Can deer or hogs smell cigarette smoke on you or while your smoking?

Lukeclayton
03-13-2010, 01:05 AM
Yes, the certainly can. Let me tell you a quick story about deer and cigaretts..... I used to hunt with an old outfitter down near Eldorado that smoked like a chimney. He put corn out in feed pens (on the ground) every other day. He would always put out his cigarette on the ground right there where he fed them, said he wanted to let them to get used to the smoke smell. I've set in a blind with him with him puffing like a locomotive and deer 30 yards downwind,they never spooked. But......in a normal situation, I'd be careful with smoking. Most wild game are not conditioned to the smell of smoke, it's foreign to them and they will spook. Hope this helps. Luke Clayton www.catfishradio.com

riverhog
03-13-2010, 02:34 AM
agree with luke, if conditioned animals will come to accept a certian smell with food. i would use scent killer spray , i dip skoal so i carry a ziplock bag to spit in while in the stand. i would still take all precautions in being scent free

BestCresting09
03-13-2010, 05:26 AM
I dip also...never thought of spitting in something while out in the field. Good Idea.

BestCresting09
03-13-2010, 05:30 AM
Ah.. what if it gets below freezing? I've been told that deer can't smell anything when its that cold. My brother has shot a deer from his stand (freezing temps) with cig in mouth! I don't know, I like as little scent as possible.

Hogdude1234
03-13-2010, 08:15 AM
I would say that smoking in the stand would keep any Mature animals away. The young, dumb one's might not care, but the big 'ole smart buck or doe more than likey will not come in, or will spook at most foreign odors. IMO

cabledad
03-13-2010, 01:11 PM
One of my best friends smokes like a freight train. He is a bow hunter and never failed to kill something when we hunted on my ranch.You could smell ol Rons smoke on him at a distance.I always thought that his cigarette smoke hid his natural smell and allowed him to get nearer to animals.I know he had something going for him because I know he killed 5 elk in his many years in Colorado.Great bow hunter. Chuck

ggonzales
03-13-2010, 05:53 PM
All the hunters at "La Mota" ranch smoke 24/7 in the blind outside the blind whenever and they still see animals and shoot. I am mostly concerned with all the noise they make, talking on the cell phone, etc, I still can't believe the deer / hogs come out with the smoke and noise. Me personally, I try to stay as still and quiet as possible and spray scent killer or vanilla to help cover my scent.

Hogdude1234
03-14-2010, 05:07 AM
Guess I need to start firing it up in the blind!!! I tease one of my friends about smoking while hunting...I always ask him if those are his "Tinks 69 cigarettes" LMAO!!!

hognut
03-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the info. I've always smoked in the past. No problem with the deer coming in. The hogs never would come in. I could hear them, they just wouldn't come in. I quit smoking so we'll see if it matters when I go in a couple weeks. The guys on my lease don't smoke except me and one other.

mrbigtex
03-15-2010, 03:47 PM
If I can tell someone has smoked 30 minutes ago just by walking near me, why wouldn't an animal that DEPENDS on scent be able to smell it? Of course they smell cigarette smoke. Are they conditioned to it? Maybe. But as Hogdude1234 points out, the older wiser TROPHY animals will be wiser to the fact that something is out of the ordinary and avoid exposing themselves.

I have actually had hogs cross a trail that I walked 2 hours prior and they have been able to scent me and bolt as soon as they crossed the trail. Do not underestimate their abilities to smell.

Cuz
03-17-2010, 05:36 PM
If it's down wind it will smell it. If it's not down wind it wont. That simple!

Cuz
03-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Ah.. what if it gets below freezing? I've been told that deer can't smell anything when its that cold. My brother has shot a deer from his stand (freezing temps) with cig in mouth! I don't know, I like as little scent as possible.

That's silly. Deer CAN smell when it's freezing out...

hognut
03-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Problem is wind doesn't just go straight, it swirls around.

Jordan1991
03-19-2010, 03:51 PM
I fart and caught and sneeze and always get lucky

ggonzales
03-26-2010, 06:42 AM
My most recent hunt during Spring Break I took my buddy who is a chain smoker with me and we even had to open the door to the blind wide open and the pigs still came out to the feeder, walked right next to our blind to the hog pipe, but you could tell they were skiddish and did not hang around too long or even stopped moving to give us a good shot.