PDA

View Full Version : South Texas Spring Break Hog Hunt

ggonzales
03-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Just got back from "La Mota" ranch in Benavides TX, an area known for having some great hog hunting with large black hogs roaming the thick brush country. This Spring Break would be a special one for me and my dad because we were taking my ten year old son on his second hog hunt this year and trying to get him a nice hog down. The day started off very warm and our hopes were not good to hunt in 80 degree tempetures, but by 4pm that afternoon the winds picked up and the temp dropped quickly. We had did a good job of laying out plenty of corn around the Senderos and feeders. My buddy Felix had the idea of using a bag of cheetohs to throw on the ground with the corn. So we proceeded to hit the blinds and see what happens. By 5pm we had several Javelinas eating the corn and cheetohs near our blind, but something spooked them away and they moved towards my dad and son's blind just east of our location. Two Javelinas turned into four and they began feeding on the corn and cheetohs near their blind. My dad always likes to carry more then one caliber of riffle into the blind and brought along a .22cal "Cricket" single shot open sight just in case a small pig comes out or even some Javelina. As the group moved withing 50 yards of the blind my 10 year old son asked his grandpa if he drop one with the cricket since he had not had the opportunity to do. The answer was yes and my son quickly took aim and with no hesitation put one shot right between the female Javelina's eyes and dropped her right in her tracks with an open sight aim. I was absolutely impressed because we all did not think he would make the shot, but he did and that made the trip down to the ranch all worth the wild!!!

Gonehuntin68
03-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Congrats to your son on a great shot and sounds like you had a great trip.

ggonzales
03-31-2010, 03:11 AM
Thank you, my son had a blast during Spring Break, I really enjoy taking him out to the ranch to see what South Texas truly looks like. He's getting to be a better hunter then me and has good luck. The wildlife seem to come out when he's around, but stay away from me!!!