PDA

View Full Version : HOG MANAGEMENT

Jordan1991
04-05-2010, 02:24 PM
I just wanted to check with yall and see what trick you guys are useing to bring the hogs in on your schedule and keep them there and around the area. I just recently put up a 55 gal feeder and plan to maybe put in a strawberry flavored protein feeder. What other tricks do yall use. not only for the hogs but the deer as well. I wanna eventually have that place the deer and hogs prefer over the swamp next store. I know the hogs are there for sure and there are tons of them i just havent caught site of them other than a deeer cam in over a year. any suggestions are helpful.......

ggonzales
04-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Have you tried putting in some tanks for the wildlife to drink from? I was thinking about adding some railroad ties, I just saw a stack of them the other day dripping with cresole and have a couple of places where I am going to bury them like a fence post and poor motor oil and old cooking grease on them so see how that works. If you got a tractor try disking areas around brush lines / fence lines and strips near feeders and blinds.

DKG
04-06-2010, 11:01 AM
All we do is set up a deer spin feeder with corn and they come a running. 2 years ago we caught about 85 hogs, this last Dec we caught 30 hogs in two different settings.

cabledad
04-07-2010, 03:01 AM
On my hunting spot the power company poles have 4 foot holes around them full of water.Chuck

riverhog
04-07-2010, 09:43 AM
rubbin post are real helpful, hog pipes seem to keep hogs longer in an area, it's hard to draw hogs out of an area where food and cover is plentiful

Hogdude1234
04-08-2010, 05:07 AM
Visit your local feed store and see if they have some old grain, usually from the feed mill floor...they sweep it up and pile it outside at my feed store. It has got milo, corn, cattle cubes, etc... After it sits there for a while it gets super nasty and I just go and fill up a few 55 gal drums and dump it out at my hunting spots....the hogs tear it up and it stinks so bad that it has brought in hogs from other properties as well...check with the landowner first though...if they run cattle on the place, they may not want that stuff out there...I am pretty sure it would make cattle sick if they ate it!!!

ggonzales
04-08-2010, 05:53 AM
I have used the "stinky" grain before, we have a grain elevator in our home town and they have huge piles of this stinky grain, we dumped a truck load a couple of years ago at Rancho Sueno Mio and the wildlife loved it, the pile was destroyed quickly!!!