PDA

View Full Version : How long before they come back?

MikeC
05-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Hey Guys and Gals, - I'm a fairly new hog hunter, and I was cruising along, taking a medium size (150 pounder) - every once in a while for chili meat and jerky. But then a neighbor about half mile up the road from my property got mad at my little guys for tearing up his Saint Augustine grass - called in a trapper, and he took 256 hogs in about 2 weeks time. (I know, I should have been trapping) - My question is - how long will it take for them to repopulate ? He couldn't have trapped them all - right?

riverhog
05-15-2010, 12:41 AM
no, can't catch them all, i sure have tried. hogs will come back if they have a good food soure, give them a couple of days. They will probably be alot more cautious and wary. good luck

MikeC
05-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks, yeah, I will give it some time - I did see one big boar - I think he didn't get trapped because he could not fit in the trap! And he came into some corn way past dark - I was tired and didn't want to mess with butchering one so big that night - I wish now that I had taken him - I am way out of meat!

ggonzales
05-16-2010, 04:57 AM
With all this rain the pig population should explode soon before fall hunting season, we have experienced a similiar situation where you have an area that was overun with hogs and either hunting pressure or trapping has decreased the number of hogs we see now. We set out plenty of food source, water, and made the habitat suitable for wildlife by disking / plowing strips, planting food plots etc.

MikeC
05-16-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the reply - - yeah, I might try again for a food plot - - I have another question - A lot of deer hunters think their land would be better for deer if there were no hogs on it - Do they really compete - deer and hogs - for food and habitat? - I have seen a little four point whitetail run off a 400 pound boar from a corn feeder - It may have been that the boar just didn't know what was coming at him thru the leaves.... He was pretty skittish.....

ggonzales
05-17-2010, 03:12 AM
I have heard that hogs will domintate a feeder and keep most of the deer from coming to it by eating all the corn, what we ahve done on some of our feeders is put a fence around the feeder leaving enough room for the deer to jump over and still feed on the corn, but keeps the hogs from stealing all the corn. But, we also have set out "hog pipes" to attract hogs to those feeding stations and keep them coming in to feed on the hog pipes rather then messing with the deer at the feeders.

MikeC
05-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Cool, I have thought about the pipe hog feeders, but have not made any yet. I will try that, thanks!