PDA

View Full Version : Hog hunting at night

killadeaux
07-02-2010, 05:56 PM
I've been hog hunting in Texas for a little over a year and have been successful hunting during the day. I plan on hunting at night shortly and need some advice. I recently purchased a Laser Genetics ND3 and mounted on top of my scope. It has a green adjustable light and is very bright.Most of my feeders are set up 100 to 150 yards from my blind.I don't want to use the light too much until I actually see a hog at the feeder. Have any of you ever used these solar charged lights that are used to lite a walkway at home. I'm thinking of hanging a couple of these lights on the feeder to help me see the hog's outline when they come to the feeder. Do you think this may work? Once I see the hog at the feeder, then I'll put the hunting light on.

CODY
07-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Solar lights aren't a bad idea but I feel that with the whitelightit takes them a little while to get used to them. What I use is a tent light sold at walmart, they are in the camping section for like $7. Best part is they are portable and cheap to run, justput it up right before you get into your blind, bestto be scent cautious when doing this. I do color all of the LED's red with a red sharpie. You may need two at 100-150 yards but for $7 each no big deal right. I have seen and killed lots of hogs with just the light itself, normally at distances or 50-100 yards with good scopes. Give them a try I'm almost positive they'llwork for ya. Posted a couple of pics so you'll know what they look like if you decide to give them a try.

http://texashoghunter.com/oldatt/S7001294c.jpg

killadeaux
07-09-2010, 03:09 AM
Cody, thanks for the advice. I picked up one of these at Walmart and it does put out quite a bit of light. I colored mine green. I also found a light at Harbor Freight for less than $6 that has a motion detector built in. If you set it on auto, the light does not come on in daytime and it only comes on at nite when it detects motion. Plan on trying these next week along with the Laser Genetics lite mounted on my scope. It should be cooler at night and hopefully more hog activity.

mrbigtex
07-11-2010, 09:52 AM
The light shown above is actually an umbrella light and they work pretty good as I used the same. The only problem is with scent control. The battery operated light has to be turned on and hung leaving you scent all over the area. Using a mounted solar powered photo cell activated light will eliminated that problem but does not provide enough light alone. So I would recommend using the solar light along with the ND3. Just a note to remember...when it's gets cold this winter, you may find the ND3 doesn't like to work in the cold.

http://texashoghunter.com/oldatt/3946.jpg

CODY
07-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Actually it is a tent light................see the hanger......................and it is found in the camping section not the garden section. Taking scent precautions like showering, gloves, freash washed scent free clothes, freash boots and spraying with scent killers decrease your chances or being detected. Works great for me.

mrbigtex
07-12-2010, 06:35 AM
Actually it is a tent light................see the hanger.......................

Whatever..............

http://texashoghunter.com/oldatt/LED+Umbrella+Light.jpg

AbileneHogMan1
07-12-2010, 07:23 AM
Try texasboars.com...feeder lights. I have been using them for 6 years and would highly recomend them. With the dusk to dawn option you never go near the feeder avoiding sent control problems. They have a wide variety of lights to choose from. I use the Big Red ER2 9watt mounted to a 6x12 cut in half. Drilled 4 holes and lag bolts with wing nuts so you can raise or lower it. Hook to a deep cycle marine battery and go to town. I unhook the battery when I go home.

CODY
07-12-2010, 11:09 AM
///////////////

http://texashoghunter.com/oldatt/001c.jpg

killadeaux
07-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Harbor Freight has a 45 watt security light with a solar panel included and motion detector on sale. Normally sells for $44. On sale with coupon $29.99.

cabledad
07-14-2010, 03:15 PM
I went hunting last night with both the tent light and the nds green laser light.Saw 3 million mosquitos and 4 coons.The green light did not seem to bother the coons but there eye reflected green.The tent lights worked very well on my feeder good light,probably going to color them red.Didn't kill anything but it was hunting and I love it.Chuck

killadeaux
07-14-2010, 04:09 PM
I bought 2 motion detector lights at Harbor Freight for $6.99 each. I will use the light to detect movement near the feeder and when the light comes on, I'll use the ND3 Laser Genetics light to see the hog. I colored the clear plastic light area with a green colored Sharpie. The light uses 4 AA bateries. It can be set to stay on constantly or to only come on when it detects movement. I'll be night huntin for hogs for the first time this Friday and Sat.