PDA

View Full Version : Night Hunting for Hogs

killadeaux
07-03-2010, 02:36 AM
I've been successful hunting hogs in day time but plan on starting hunting at night.. I recenty purchased a Laser Genetics ND3 and mounted it on my scope. It throws out a very bright adjustable green light. Has anyone tried using the solar charged lights used to light sidewalks at home. I was thinking of hanging a couple of them from a feeder to help me pick out the outline of the hog and then turning on the ND3. Do you think that will work at 100 yards?

SirVival
07-03-2010, 03:16 AM
Yup. Do it all the time. Harbor Freight has a great deal on 2 solar lights with 3 leds each. Comes with their own contained solar panel and dusk.dawn switch. $19.95. I usually run 6 per feeder, but you can get away with 4 from 100 yds. Try to place them high on the feeder if you can. It's more important (IMO) to have a wide, not so bright field of light below the feeder, as opposed to a very bright area. All you really need to see is a black shape moving, and then it's game on. It might take a week or so for the hogs that are coming to the feeder to get used to the light, deer and coons will eat right under it, and larger boars usually prefer to eat outside of the light around the edge...Good luck!

killadeaux
01-03-2011, 12:53 AM
I was hunting at our lease in Texas 12/27/10 and just at dark, I saw a 142 pound sow and 4 smaller hogs at a feeder. I put the crosshair right behing her right ear and she dropped. The smaller hogs ran off and about 5 minutes later, they appeared at another feeder at 114 yards. This was the first time I had to use my ND3 Lazer Genetics light. I turned the light on so I could see my crosshairs and when the light hit the hogs, they spooked and ran off. I had the understanding from reading the ads for this light, that it would not spook hogs. Has anyone else experienced this problem with this light?

cabledad
01-03-2011, 01:09 AM
I shot a big sow last night using my Destroyer light and the red light was all over her for a while ,she did't flinch.I didn't get her as I just wounded her.I used a tent light to light up the feeder then put the red light on her.Maybe the white light was screwing up my scope,thats my excuse for a bad shot.Those hogs 6 or so came from the houses behind me I heard the dogs raising cain and the hogs grunting and one squeal.I am going to order my suppressor for my Thompson center 300 whisper.Its easier to handle in a little blind than that ar 10.The lady in the house behind me screamed at the kids to get in the house right now.I thought that was pretty smart of her. Try again tonight.Chuck

cabledad
01-03-2011, 01:15 AM
PS I have an nds3 and don't really care for it.Put it on the wrong scope and it don't work so good 'my old Leopold just doen't work plain past 50 yards.My newer scopes 50 mm scope go out farther.I can't say about spooking hogs because these hogs last night were the first hogs I have seen in a year,in spite of running two feeders most of the year,they are coming in now.Chuck

ARhoghunter
01-03-2011, 03:17 PM
We have sniper hog lights mounted on both our AR's. One red & one green. Have only spooked 1 big boar & have used them for all our night hunting in the past yr. We love ours & would recommend them. We use solar lights at our feeders just to get outlines & they work pretty well early & slowly dim. I think I might have to try out the harbor freight idea. I have also made 2 red light boxes with 2 lights each that will run all night on a 12 volt battery. Think I got that idea on this website. The boxes work well with the younger hogs & would probably work with the older hogs if you left them out all the time-I just don't. Good luck & happy hunting.