PDA

View Full Version : How i got into hog hunting

Jason
02-18-2009, 02:52 AM
Me and my bro were out removing our stands last year and scouting for new stand locations. we did not think to bring our bows or a rifle.

Well there we were checking out this one tree and my bro was hey jason there is a hog. I was like yea right were at. he had me come over to were he was standing and then pointed out were he had seen her then i saw her. so like dummies we decided to see how close we could get before she spooked. well we eased up till we got about 15 yards from her. she jumps up takes off like a bat out of hell and we watcher her go but i also seen she had pigletts so i yelled to him hey we got piglets i caught one real quick it started to squeal so i clamp its snout shut with my hand my budy and i sat there for 5 minutes trying to figure what we were going to do so he slits its throat with his pocket knife and the thing dont want to die. we finally bleedit real good and i seen another piglette so we took off after that one mean while looking over our shoulders prraying momma dont come back after about 20 minutes we finally catch the other one and its my turn to give it a columbian neck tie. and this one doesnt want to dies eaither. Now keep in mind both pigletts are only about 20 lbs. so we start hightailing it out of their loaded down with 2 stands and we finnally make it back to the truck. For small pigs the sure had a good taste to them after being rotisseried. and thats how i started hog hunting

http://texashoghunter.com/oldatt/Pigs.jpg

USHogOutfitters
07-02-2009, 07:47 AM
kinda simple for me. In 1988 the hogs moved into our area and started destroying our crops and land. From that moment I have been killing every hog I can.

aggiebowhunter
07-02-2009, 07:59 AM
kinda simple for me. In 1988 the hogs moved into our area and started destroying our crops and land. From that moment I have been killing every hog I can.

Same as me my folks farm back in west texas. Hunting to me growing up was after jackrabbits and cotton tails. Hogs moved in and we moved up in size of game.

BustedAssRanch
07-02-2009, 08:18 AM
I got a call one afternoon from my older brother asking if I wanted to go to this thing called the "Texas Shootout". It was one of the first Shootout's they had. The main game was going to be javelina, but I soured a bucket of corn anyways as he told me I may get to see hogs. We did not see any hogs that year, but since then I have been chasing them with any legal means. I still lean on my bow the most for hunting them!

rusa7476
07-02-2009, 08:43 AM
I first learned about hogs in high school i was getting drunk at my cousins house and his broher came home one night about 1am. He said he had been hunting, i didnt believe him, i look in the back on his truck and saw this black furry thing. i asked what it was and when he said pig i didnt believe him. I said thats no pig it looks like a dog, well i learned the difference between pig and wild hog that night and have been after them every since....

mrbigtex
03-01-2010, 07:31 AM
Refer to my story here...

http://texashoghunter.com/forum.php?c=topic&op=index&cid=19&tid=6262

Hogdude1234
03-01-2010, 01:01 PM
I did not go after the hogs, they came after me...and I took it personal!!!

Gigem
03-01-2010, 05:17 PM
I agree with Shane....I wasn't on the side that started this war, but I intend to be on the side that wins it!

ggonzales
03-02-2010, 03:30 AM
My first experience with hogs took place in 1985 at the Berry ranch in Tilden TX where me and my father had been invited to cull some does on this large ranch. On the way back to camp after the deer hunt we were sitting in the back of the ranch manager's Chevy pickup that had a heavy duty ranchhand bumper. All of a sudden I hear the truck accelerate and he nails two pigs running across the sendero, I can still remeber the smell of hogs that instantly came into the air. Me and my buddy were sitting in the back of the truck, we jumped out to pick up the wounded hog and throw her in the back when all of a sudden she stands up, all 250lbs of her and proceeds to walk away unharmed after taking a shot from the Chevy!!! Luckily, my buddy had his trusty lever action 30-30 and pumped a round directly into her ear that dropped her in her tracks. We picked her up threw her in the back of the truck and drove back to camp. I can remeber the ride back with the sow in the truck, she had a distinct fresh smell and I kept wondering if she would stnad up again, she neve stopped kicking all the way back to camp. After we arrived back to camp, the arguement began about who was going to claim the prize, since it was my buddies first pig ever, the ranch manager was nice enought to let him claim the sow and bring some bacon home!!!

riverhog
03-02-2010, 03:56 AM
Got started back in 1989, I had been on an elk hunt in colorado in early october, my daughter and her friend had been going up on our leases in the afternoon and watching deer for bow season. The night i got back from colorado, my daughter had waited up for me, she was excited in telling me that they had seen some hogs, and had tried to catch a piglet, but the old sow put them back in the truck. I kinda laughed it off, we didn't have any hogs here, just a tall story i thought. The next afternoon, my daughter and i went up to the lease to put up tree stands, she was serious when she told me i needed to take a gun, so to satisify her i grabbed her little .single shot 223. We had no sooner got the gate open, when she started yellin that there were hogs in the field, I was shocked there was about a dozen hogs in the field. i grabbed the little 223 and went to sending lead. Dropped the first pig, and hit 2 more running. both pigs made it to the edge of the field and went down, Not knowing any better, we started to the 2 at the edge of the field, we were at 15 feet away when the largest got up started toward us , I threw a quik shot, just pointed the gun and fired, the pig kept coming. My daughter was halfway back to the truck when i turned to run , she left out as soon as the pig stood up. I was damn near catchin up with her, when she looked back and stopped, she hollered at me that it was o.k, to stop the pig was down. We gave the pigs about 20 minutes before we went back to pick them up. Been chasing them hogs eversince

prior to 1989 we were hog free, now we are at times run over with hogs

DavidHunter
05-29-2018, 08:55 PM
It seems to be hard to hunt hogs with a knife. I would use a rifle instead