PDA

View Full Version : Going After Another Red Rock Hog Tonight...

SirVival
07-31-2010, 03:06 AM
He's coming inlate, but he stays for about an hour. Hopefully that will be enough time to line him up. He's a bumper as he hangs out under the middle of the feeder and has corn on his back. We shall see!...

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa296/GameFix/Hog%20Cam%20Pics/RedRockFeeder.jpg

txbhunter1
07-31-2010, 06:42 AM
Good luck man, Ikind of like them bumper hogs. They seem to know how to get the corn out and stay longer.

SirVival
07-31-2010, 07:00 AM
Yes Sir! Wish he was bigger though. The landowner says that they have also seen a much larger boar, "Big Daddy" as they call him coming in also. He apparently hangs "around" the feeder, but not under the feeder. Always good to have a wild card possibility hanging out in the woods I guess.....

cabledad
07-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Seems to me you are always hunting do you have several places to hunt or do you have one large place to hunt.It must be loaded with hogs.The little places I have had to hunt shoot my rifle once and the huntings off for a while.I think I want several small places to set up feeders on in North Texas and go from place to place with out paying the big lease price to hunt hogs.Its hard to get people to let you hunt with out paying.I guess I am asking for some hints on getting a place to hunt hogs.Don't care about deer hunting much.Anyway any help would be appreciated.Chuck

SirVival
08-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Seems to me you are always hunting do you have several places to hunt or do you have one large place to hunt.It must be loaded with hogs.The little places I have had to hunt shoot my rifle once and the huntings off for a while.I think I want several small places to set up feeders on in North Texas and go from place to place with out paying the big lease price to hunt hogs.Its hard to get people to let you hunt with out paying.I guess I am asking for some hints on getting a place to hunt hogs.Don't care about deer hunting much.Anyway any help would be appreciated.Chuck

Hey Chuck,

I'm fortunate enough to have2 small properties (30 acres each) in Coupland, 1 larger place (40 acres) in Coupland, and 1 largerplace in Red Rock (80 acres) to hunt on. One of the things Ihave learned is that the hunting pressure around your hunting property is almost more important than the actual property you hunt on itself. I'm lucky in that all the places Ican go, no one really huntsaround them, even in deer season.

The folks that run hog hunting services/ranches offer a great product at a reasonable price, with no headaches that are associated with having a lease.They are a great way to get a wonderful hog hunting experience in from knowlegable folks. Such as Tactical Hog Control.

As far as I am concearned though, there is no reason whatsoever to actually pay to have a lease specifically to hunt hogs. There are simply too many landowners, too many hogs, and too many problems the pigs cause. All I ever did was put signs up at local feed stores. "Free feral hog control. Respect the land and the landowners wishes."

Ialso tellthe landowners that Iam NOT a deer hunter. Icouldn't care less about hunting deer. Hogs are MUCHsmarter, harder, andplentiful. Alot of the landowners whom I came into contact with while trying to get places to hunt weren't interested in me helpin gwith the hogs becasue they thought I was a deer hunter indisguiseand was using hog hunting asanexcuse to scout their land for big bucks or something. You have to do a little convincing sometimes. Ithink it's absolutely hilarious that some folks will pay thousands ofdollars for 2 months out of the year to hunt deer. Nothing against them though. If that's your thing, go for it. But pigshave no bag limit, no season, no time restrictions, no light restrictions, no sex restictions, no size restrictions,24/7/365.and if you do it right...100% FREE!

Once Igot 1 place and did allright, they told another couple of folks and then it was off to the races. It may take you a little while to get the first lead, but take care of their land, stay in frequent communication about your efforts to help with the hogs, let them know about any suspicious activity, downed fences, sick cows, etc. and then you're golden.

I've alsolearned that there are ALOT of people who are, shall we say, not so trustworthy. They attempt to run a guide service without the landowners consent, take all their buddies, friends, family members, etc. The problem with this is that every hunting buddy has ANOTHER hunting buddy, and the next thing you know, you've got tresspassers/poachers aplenty and the then everybody looses. Plus, never forget that the landowner gave YOU the permission to hunt pigs on their land. No one else.... When you show up with someone else, they usually become uneasy as you can imagine. They now have a stranger on their place.

Ialso think, at least with the folks who are kind enough to let me hunt on their land, is that the landowners want a seriouseffort. 2-3 hunts a month on a piece of propertyisn't going to control any hog population on their place. They want someone who is willing to put time, ALOT of time into helping them withtheir pig problem. Even when I don't have the time to put in a full hunt, I'll swing by the place to chit-chat with the landowner, ask about pig activity, chew the fat, etc. Itshows concern and they like that.

Then there'sthe final piece of the puzzle....Momma. Ihave a saint of a wife who understands that hog hunting is

my passion. After the house and bills are taken care of, she knows I'm gonna be in the woods. But it goes both ways. She is a total movie buff and sees 2-3 films a week. Ican't stand to sit still in a theater for more than 30 minutes before I'm ready to pull my hair out. So. She lets me do my thing and I let her do hers. We're both happy and we meet in the middle. (That's the real key....) Good luck!

SirVival
08-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Oh,.....and I got skunked last night in Red Rock.......Stayed till 4:30 am and nothing.

I did get my camcorder run over with a tractor though. It's crushed.....not a good night.....But there is always tomorrow and always more pigs!

cabledad
08-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Some women have to put up with husbands that are chasing the wrong kind of hogs.

Hogdude1234
08-01-2010, 05:14 PM
So do you set up the corn feeders or are they already in place for the deer? It seems the landowner would just hog proof/fence off their feeders if the hogs were monoploizing them. Just curious.

SirVival
08-02-2010, 05:31 AM
Some women have to put up with husbands that are chasing the wrong kind of hogs.

hahahaha!!!!http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/biggrin.gifhttp://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/biggrin.gifhttp://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/biggrin.gif

SirVival
08-02-2010, 05:34 AM
So do you set up the corn feeders or are they already in place for the deer? It seems the landowner would just hog proof/fence off their feeders if the hogs were monoploizing them. Just curious.

2 places the land owner runs their feeders so that they can deer watch, and the other two places I run 3 feeders.

On both pieces of property, the landowners don't want to spend the time or money to put up hog proof fencing, (if there is such a thing).

The place in Red Rock for example, it's not just a matter of hog proofing the feeders, it's a matter of the pigs getting on the land and rooting it up. They ride horses everyday and pig digs and horse hoove's can be a deadly combo.....