PDA

View Full Version : Scopes ???

lawki
02-18-2009, 07:47 AM
What type of scope do you use?

I have a redfield 3x9x40 on my rifle [.30-06]. Have not done much hunting with it yet(no opportunity) but have ranged it in to 100 yrds.

Looking to possibly upgrade my scope, but not knowing much about scopes was looking for some input by those that do know scope.

Any information or recommendations would be appreciated. If you recommend a scope please try to be as particular as possible.

Example: instead of saying Bushnell makes a great scope say the Bushnell Banner 4-16 x 40 model 714164I [model is not required but leaves no question as to the scope in reference]. This way I can look up the scope and read why it is so great.

Let me know your thoughts and input!

s10goes10s
02-18-2009, 09:17 AM
i recently put the Nikon Monarch w/BDC recticle on my rem 700 30-06 & couldnt be more pleased.i am handloading now & it just made sence. i compared it to swarofski, leopold, zeis ect. top of the line stuff & the nikon is by far the clearest optics i have looked thru. NOW i dont care for their lower end stuff. i recently took a boar at 524 yds. with it. the BDC takes out the guesswork of holdover. mine is a 2.5x10x50. i do ALOT of night hunting & it works awesome. the cost was $479 @ cabelas.

aggiebowhunter
02-24-2009, 02:06 AM
I generally shoot Zeiss or Leupold scopes. Both are great glass but I prefer the Zeiss over the Leupy for my mountain guns because of its generous eye relief. Either of these brands will sure lighten you billfold.

About a year ago I was introduced to Vortex Optics. www.vortexoptics.com They are awesome. Relatively inexpensive and great glass. I have three of their Diamondback 3-10x50 rifles scopes and one 20-60x60 Nomad spotting scopes. I just ordered a 3-10x50 Viper rifle scope and another Nomad spotting scope.

A new company in the optics world started out in bird watching and evolved from there. Field and Stream picked their Viper series Best Of The Best in optics for 2009. Beating out all the big named glass companies. Find a place that carries them and check them out. You wont be disappointed.

txbhunter1
02-24-2009, 04:38 AM
Ihave a Nikon Omega BDC on my BP and Ilove it. Ihave taken deer out to 275 yds with it already. That is saying quite a bit for a smokepole.

aggiebowhunter
02-25-2009, 01:28 AM
Nikon makes good glass but their service is not good. Drop a pair of Nikons off a mountain and send them back to Japan and seewhat happens.

Drop a pair of Leupolds off a mountain send them back and youll have a new pair within the week.

txbhunter1
02-25-2009, 02:10 AM
Iwould hope to never drop my glasses off of a mountain. LOL Cause if they drop then so did I. Crooked Horn Outfitters you know.

lawki
02-25-2009, 02:40 AM
txbhunter1 - I agree - when riding my atv or simply walking the field always have my binocs on my Crooked Horn Outfitters. so much easier than just carrying them - frees your hands to cary other things.

txbhunter1
02-25-2009, 03:06 AM
I like the fact that it does not interfere with shooting my bow when they are hanging around and are always right there handy.

aggiebowhunter
02-25-2009, 07:36 AM
I agree but if a swivel breaks on a sling or a spotting scope gets knocked over on a tripod your in trouble.

I had my whole pack run over by a herd of elk I was chasing.Had an extra quiver of arrows there two they broke every one. You just never know whats going to happen.

WyoHunter
02-25-2009, 05:37 PM
I have Leupolds, Burris, Bushnell and Nikon scopes. If price wasn't an issue I would buy Leupold Vari X III but since it is I now buy Nikon Buckmasters and Busnell 3200's. They have been reliable and given me good service.

lawki
02-25-2009, 11:55 PM
WyoHunter - you’re exactly right!If it was not for the price, there would be no post about this issue.Unfortunately, price is a major factor.That is not to say that I am not prepared or willing to spend some money on the scope since it should be a one time, and long, investment.To be honest I was looking to spend $200.00 - $300.00 for a good, decent, dependable scope.

I guess what I was hoping to get out of this post was the scope type you use - and more importantly - why?

Is it because of comfort, name, low light shooting ability, only have one kind of scope and have not tried others because these work.Or other things like BDC is the best, most accurate you found, did not have to get special scope rings to mount the scope, clarity of the optics, really good zoom....just basically the reason you shoot with the scope you have.

For me it is because that is what was on the gun when my wife purchased it for me.I have shot several rounds through the gun and it shoots great, awesome actually, but felt that the scope that is on it is not powerful enough and does not bring the target in close enough - even at 100 yrds.I was looking to possibly get a scope that can bring that target in closer and clearly.

Was hoping to get a perspective of the type of rifle (caliber) and the scope used with it and why.

txbhunter1
02-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Bud,in my opinion and my experience with the Nikon Omega BDC for my BP, Ibelieve it is the best out there. The BDC portion of this scope is outstanding. When coupled up with 150grs of 777 and a TCShockwave Superglide 250 gr bullet, Ican reach out to 275 ydswith confidence. Iam not sure about the other BDC scope out there by Nikon, but after seeing what Ihave seen with mine, Iwould have to believe they are just as good. The price is not that bad either.

lawki
02-27-2009, 05:19 AM
txbhunter1 - I would have to agree that the addition of BDC to scopes has been a great advantage for everyone from novice to expert. I do plan to get BDC in whatever scope I purchase!

txbhunter1
02-27-2009, 07:05 AM
There are alot of other scopes out there that put the ranging reticle in their scopes but Ibelieve that the Nikon is the best of them all. It has not let me down yet. Irange the animal with my range finder, put the right circle on itand squeeze the trigger. Straps in the freezer!!!!!!!!

ggonzales
12-16-2010, 05:46 AM
What type of scope do you recomend for low light viz for early in the am or late in the evening?

riverhog
12-16-2010, 03:11 PM
i use nikon's or luepold's they pick up alot of light

DallasCamo1
12-26-2010, 10:11 AM
I use the Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10X56 for low light conditions on my 6.8 AR. You get some incredible optics from this baby and eye relief that is second to none with shocking low light distance. It comes in red green or amber triangles in the fiber optics on the pin. I absolutely love this scope. BUT…it’s a bit pricey and won’t fit in most hunters budgets.....I have seen them as low as $650.00 on eBay and as high as $1250.00 in reatil stores. But if it does fit in your budget it’s worth a look if you shoot in a lot of low light conditions.

JimB
03-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Last week my wife bought a Sako 243 on sale at Bass Pro Shop for $499.99. We had a Nikon Monarch 2.5X10-50mm mounted on it. Naturally I did a lot of fondling, sighting in, and dry firing through the week. I fell in love with that NIKON!! Today I went back to B.P. S. and bought me a T/C Venture 30-06 with the same scope. Can't wait to zero them in! My Savage 110, 30-06, with a Leupold Rifleman may become a closet queen for awhile or I might sell it if the new rifle works out ok.

cabledad
03-05-2011, 03:58 PM
I have this idea that if its got Sako written on it I am for it.Also I have a Nikon on my 30 06 and its great.I also have a Leopold 3x9 thats 30 years old thats has accounted for 8 Elk 1 buffalo cow no telling how many white tail,lots of hogs.I hope you enjoy your new rifles.Chuck

ARhoghunter
03-07-2011, 06:11 AM
I have an eXplore that I bought @ the Houston Gun Show. A guy broke away from Nikon & started making them. I researched it before I bought it looking @ Leupold, Nikon, Trijocon, etc. The Fort Worth SWAT team is using them on their AR's. I love it-many a hog doesn't. It is strong, durable, good glass, lighted ret., w/ 98% light. I can shoot it with just moonlight on most nights. Paid $250 for a 3x10. They started out for AR's but checking their website, you can find alot of different models now.

riverhog
03-07-2011, 12:37 PM
could't access their website, would like to see what they offer, is any major chains carrying them

cabledad
03-08-2011, 01:29 AM
The difference between a 40mm and 50 mm sight picture is considerable,I have to hold my eye higher on a 50 mm,I don't feel as good about the shots,.Since after dark I use lights I don't think I need the 50mm.Also my Destroyer light doen't clear the edge of the scope on the 50 mm.I guess I am talking my self out of any more 50mm.I am going to change scopes 1 more time on that 45 70 its pretty rough.Chuck

ARhoghunter
03-08-2011, 05:51 AM
Try eXplore scopes @ www.exploreoptics.com. Hope they have something you can use.

jmay0531
03-09-2011, 08:05 PM
BSA Platnum.....I know some people will say there cheap...but it a great piece of glass for the money

cabledad
03-10-2011, 01:21 AM
I have been playing the BSA game the last 2 days.Great looking scope,great price great service at Academy but not for a 45 70 with heavy loads.Shot them 4 times and it works right,then it starts acting funny.I realized last night that 45 70 does to the scope what the rifle does to my shoulder.So its back to Academy and buy another scope.Wished I had realized this $50 worth of ammo ago.I will let you know what happens.Chuck