PDA

View Full Version : First hog hunt - help!

Iahunter
09-02-2010, 06:24 AM
I am trying to plan a hog hunt west of Fort Worth. I've never hunted hogs or hunted in TX so I'm not sure what to bring. I would like to try my bow and for a rifle it will be my 30.06, which I would think would knock them down. Looking to go in January or February. Being from IA that is some cold temps, but not sure what they will be like down there.

So, any good information you can provide to a successful hunt would be great.

Thanks!

AbileneHogMan1
09-02-2010, 08:55 AM
How far west of Fort Worth are you looking to hunt? Don't be fooled by Texas. Bring the gear you would cold weather hunt with at home. If your night hunting, you'll need all the cold weather gear. If you view my album you'll see what type of clothing I use for Jan. & Feb. hog hunting here in West Texas.

Iahunter
09-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks Abilene....it may actually be close to you...Colorado City. Not sure of the exact location but was told that is the closest town.

txbhunter1
09-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Do you already ahve a place to hunt?

uc1
09-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Wow that is so un-real I'm in the same boat as you. I'm from Colorado and have booked my first hog hunt in Uvalde Texas in January 6th, 7th, and 8 th of 2011. I know that this is farther south then you, but I'm looking to find out what I need to bring also. I know for sure I'm getting a Sniper Hawg light Destroyer but have not made up my mind which color. some say Red and other say green!?! Last year I went to Oklahoma for my very first hog hunt (in May) and was blessed with two 150 lbs sows. but this is going to be my first night time hog hunt. Any tips.. I looked at the weather chanel web site and I got the average high's and low's for that time of year. So I know what to bring for jackets. Joined a few web sites like this one so I can read all about what they go thru on a regular bases and watch as many home videos as I can find on hog hunting. You learn a lot by just watching them. Hope some of these ideas help you out. As far as the 30-06 goes... that is the same weapon I'm uising worked great the first time so why change it. Remember a good knife set, Extra flash lights (and batteries) Thermos for coffee or soup and snack bars to keep your engery up. Good Luck and have fun.

UC1-25KV

Iahunter
09-03-2010, 03:55 AM
tx - yes I do have a place to hunt...know very little about it as it is going through my brother's friend ... he has relation there and the they said they have a lot of hogs and to come shoot as many as we like. I need to find out more I'm sure, like how many acres, terrain, cover etc...

Iahunter
09-03-2010, 03:59 AM
Thanks UC1 I appreciate the information. Good luck on your upcoming hunt!

AbileneHogMan1
09-03-2010, 04:29 AM
Iahunter, you'll be in great pig country about 58 miles west of Abilene. If you need any supplies while your here, head to Sweetwater 30 min. east on I-20. They have a Wal-Mart. If you do that go by Big Boys BBQ, it's in the Texas Monthly top BBQ Joints. Dos Plumas is only a few minutes east from there if you want to check them out. Good Luck with the Hunt.

Iahunter
09-03-2010, 04:30 AM
I'm curious....in many of the pics or videos I've seen the hogs are going to feeders. What if the property I'm going to be hunting doesn't have feeders or a food plot? should I just find what looks like the best sign and through up a tree stand?

uc1
09-03-2010, 08:51 AM
pig pipes is the answer here is a link about them.

http://www.texasboars.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16976

and

http://www.huntingtexasonline.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=17577&fpart=1

If you need help taking a few more hogs off that property just ASK... I' be there...LOL http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/biggrin.gif

uc1-25kv

txbhunter1
09-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Pop-up man. That way you can be more mobile. Look for rootings and other kinds of sign and find a place and park it. Brush it in a bit or tuck into some brush off of a trail and have fun.

Iahunter
09-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the information. I'm starting to get pumped and I haven't even gotten my plane ticket yet! Thanks for all the information. I've got a double bull tent I shoot deer out of so I'll pack that. Never heard of a pig pipe, thanks for that post, certainly going to read up on it. And Abilene I appreciate the local information. Wally world will certainly be a stop, and I'm game for BBQ anytime.

txbhunter1
09-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Stop in and see Allen and his great wife Lori at Dos PLumas. Let them give you the 20cent tour and I promise, you'll be impressed with the operation and the amount of animals they have on the ranch. If you end up booking a hunt there, bring your comfortable clothes for after dinner. You're gonna need them after Lori gets done feeding ya. LOL!!!